Windows 10: System Image

Discus and support System Image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; HI all, I'm curious to know if Control panel/'back up and restore'/'create system image'/ can be used to clone my HHD to an SSD that I can boot from?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by awildttrout, Nov 22, 2017.

1. System Image

HI all,
    I'm curious to know if Control panel/'back up and restore'/'create system image'/ can be used to clone my HHD to an SSD that I can boot from? Appreciate you help.

:)

awildttrout, Nov 22, 2017
  2. dharge Win User

System Image failure with error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)" on Windows 10

Here's my issue in a nutshell. Had an issue with my HP Envy 17 Leap Motion. I have Windows 8.1 upgraded to 10. Made a system image disk on an external hard drive and sent the unit back to HP for repair. HP had to replace the motherboard and some other small
    issues. Got the system back and attempted to re-load the system image disk and got the following messages - "The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)"

Tried to do a recovery and got this message:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0x000000f

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device, contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

(btw...I have installation DVD and a USB recovery drive)

Next it was suggested I reset the PC. I got this message:

"The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

Have no clue how to do that.

I hope I've give you enough information to offer a suggestion.

Original title: System Image failure

dharge, Nov 22, 2017
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    System Image Restore Does Not Find System Image In System Image :D Drive, External Drive, Etc. Windows 10 Pro V1709 64 Bit

Hi Luis,

This might be caused by a corrupted file. Do give us an update once you're done with the disk cleanup so we can provide further assistance.

If the issue persists, if it is the system image for Windows 10, try downloading a new installation media that you can use through this
    link.

We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Anne Ros, Nov 22, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

System Image

Hi, I suggest you don't bother with Backup & Restore- even MS recommends using 3rd party tools now. It's a legacy feature which will be deprecated.

dalchina, Nov 22, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Theoretically, yes. But as most new SSDs come in a kit including migration software, probably unnecessary. Anyway, as Dalchina says, it's a deprecated feature now.

Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

6. This drive originally came with Acronis but I think it expired. The key doesn't work any more. Acronis is now $45/per year and the free trial version does not have the clone feature. Any ideas on free clone software?

awildttrout, Nov 22, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2017
  8. Mooly Win User

System Image

Mooly, Nov 24, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    As a basic free tool it is ok, but does not have Macrium Reflect's flexibility. It failed miserably in my tests to backup 32bit uefi installations as found on many hybrid laptops and tablets.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System Image

1. System Image - Similar Threads - System Image

2. Windows Apps on drive that windows is not on? - Backup System Image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Apps on drive that windows is not on? - Backup System Image: This started when I was trying to migrate my windows onto a new drive, I was doing it via an image and USB flash drive. while going through the process I had to select which drive I wanted it on and which drives it was going to take windows from. one of them was a drive E...
  3. Windows Apps on drive that windows is not on? - Backup System Image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Apps on drive that windows is not on? - Backup System Image: This started when I was trying to migrate my windows onto a new drive, I was doing it via an image and USB flash drive. while going through the process I had to select which drive I wanted it on and which drives it was going to take windows from. one of them was a drive E...
  4. Is W10's basic system image reliable to use today like in W7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is W10's basic system image reliable to use today like in W7?: Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-w10s-basic-system-image-reliable-to-use-today/57d94d88-7646-460b-a9e3-db2df99c317d
  5. Is W10's basic system image reliable to use today like in W7?

Is W10's basic system image reliable to use today like in W7?: Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-w10s-basic-system-image-reliable-to-use-today/57d94d88-7646-460b-a9e3-db2df99c317d
  6. Is W10's basic system image reliable to use today like in W7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. I am a new system builder, need support from experts. How do i create my own image of...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I am a new system builder, need support from experts. How do i create my own image of...: system builder, need support from experts. How do i create my own image of windows 10 22H2 wiht my motherboard driversi need an image of my own and shoudl be able to install in on new system fastest possiblealso how do i get bulk discount for my systems. I need all drivers to...
  8. I am a new system builder, need support from experts. How do i create my own image of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am a new system builder, need support from experts. How do i create my own image of...: system builder, need support from experts. How do i create my own image of windows 10 22H2 wiht my motherboard driversi need an image of my own and shoudl be able to install in on new system fastest possiblealso how do i get bulk discount for my systems. I need all drivers to...
  9. I am a new system builder, need support from experts. How do i create my own image of...

10. why i am not able to restore system image backup ? in windows 11, i need to backup by third...

why i am not able to restore system image backup ? in windows 11, i need to backup by third...: why i am not able to restore sib ? in windows 11, i need to backup by third party tool and use it to restore sib. but by ms sib option not work to restore, only i can backup but not restore by ms, why ms not creating restore tool as portable so any where it can be restored....