Windows 10: System is entering sleep - how to really shut down?

Discus and support System is entering sleep - how to really shut down? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Not so long ago, every shut down ended with EventID 12 and 13. One way or the other this is happening occasionally only recently. Instead the PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tfwul, May 1, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

System is entering sleep - how to really shut down?

Not so long ago, every shut down ended with EventID 12 and 13. One way or the other this is happening occasionally only recently.

Instead the PC goes to sleep EventID 42, even though Power Settings are all set to maximum performance, no sleep matters, etc. and the PC is shut down using Start->Shut Down and then the power-button.

This is probably causing changes to the hardware ID's and my AV software responds to that (with a pop-up).

I've been in contact with the developer and after a lot of research it seems the hardware ID's are changing, likely because of the EventID 42.

Example: this morning, the first entries in the Event-log shows
    Event 6013 Source: Eventlog - the system uptime is 254960 seconds
    followed by
    Event 1: The system time has changed to 01-05-2018 04:51:13 from 30-04-2018 11:51:49. Change Reason: 2

Question: How to get back to the situation where PC indeed shuts down with EventID 13 and not go to sleep?

Power settings are all set to maximum performance, i.e. no sleep, no monitor shut down, etc.
    FWIW (and don't know if that has anything to do with it) but I just disabled hibernation (powercfg /h off)

:)

tfwul, May 1, 2018

2. Wi-fi constantly dropping out - Windows 10 and Plusnet/BT router

Mark

How are you shutting down your computer as what you are doing does not work! The system simply enters sleep mode. The last time the computer was shutdown was
    25/01/2017 18:35:30.

Gerry C J Cornell, May 1, 2018
  3. What are the factors that override sleep mode settings?

I place my computer in sleep mode directly, or via the setting for times to enter sleep mode when plugged in or on battery. I have noticed that
    sometimes the computer gets put into a shut down mode after sleep mode.

What causes this? Is there a period of time in sleep mode (regardless of how it got there) that causes it to shut down requiring full startup to occur? Or are there other factors such as a scheduled update
    occurring, for example?

Thanks in advance.

David Iacino, May 1, 2018
  4. tfwul Win User

Not so long ago, every shut down ended with EventID 12 and 13. One way or the other this is happening occasionally only recently.

Instead the PC goes to sleep EventID 42, even though Power Settings are all set to maximum performance, no sleep matters, etc. and the PC is shut down using Start->Shut Down and then the power-button.

This is probably causing changes to the hardware ID's and my AV software responds to that (with a pop-up).

I've been in contact with the developer and after a lot of research it seems the hardware ID's are changing, likely because of the EventID 42.

Example: this morning, the first entries in the Event-log shows
    Event 6013 Source: Eventlog - the system uptime is 254960 seconds
    followed by
    Event 1: The system time has changed to 01-05-2018 04:51:13 from 30-04-2018 11:51:49. Change Reason: 2

Question: How to get back to the situation where PC indeed shuts down with EventID 13 and not go to sleep?

Power settings are all set to maximum performance, i.e. no sleep, no monitor shut down, etc.
    FWIW (and don't know if that has anything to do with it) but I just disabled hibernation (powercfg /h off)

:)

tfwul, May 6, 2018
Thema:

1. System is entering sleep - how to really shut down? - Similar Threads - System entering sleep

2. Windows 11 Shutting Down Apps When Entering Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Shutting Down Apps When Entering Sleep Mode: I am running into an issue with Windows 11 closing all open apps on my desktop when it tries to automatically enter sleep mode.I've tried all combinations of sleep options with hybrid sleep mode enabled v disabled, with sleep set to never and hibernate enabled and vice-versa,...
  3. System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again: My system got shut down a few minutes ago. It wasn't probably shut down completely. When I started again my browser and apps were still open. Maybe it went to sleep. I thought it would be because of low battery.But a few minutes later I saw an error alert on Windows itself...
  4. System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again: My system got shut down a few minutes ago. It wasn't probably shut down completely. When I started again my browser and apps were still open. Maybe it went to sleep. I thought it would be because of low battery.But a few minutes later I saw an error alert on Windows itself...
  5. System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows intermittently shuts down after entering Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows intermittently shuts down after entering Sleep Mode: Hi all, Recently over the past few weeks my computer hasn't been able to enter sleep mode properly. I've got a bit of a strange PC build, which I'm sure is partly to blame, but seen as the problem is only fairly recent I'm not sure how to diagnose or begin to find out what's...
  7. Computers shut down when entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computers shut down when entering sleep mode: Hello, I am experiencing problems with some of my customers the number of people affected just keeps growing and growing . When the computers doesn't matter if it's a laptop or a PC enters sleep mode and some time passes - the computer shuts down. We tried checking the...
  8. Windwos 10 keeps shutting down after entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windwos 10 keeps shutting down after entering sleep mode: It has been going on for a while and started all of a sudden, and during multiple builds. I usually put my PC in sleep mode instead of shutting it down, but lately, when I go to use it again it is turned off, this happens after some time in sleep mode, it's not automatic, and...
  9. Sleep and Shut Down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep and Shut Down: Using Windows 10. After last update, when I put my computer to sleep and then close the lid, it shuts itself down. Power settings are all as before the update.....I selected the option to have the computer go to sleep when the lid is closed. Anyone else having this...
  10. System shuts down when in sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System shuts down when in sleep mode: I really am not sure where to even look. I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and had no problems for a while until I began using sleep mode. About every night or two when in sleep mode, my system shuts down. I'm not here when it does so I don't see a blue screen and appear to have no...