Windows 10: System Lock Down

Discus and support System Lock Down in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Does anyone know if it's possible to lock down Windows 10 Home to not allow anything to run without permission from the user? If so, my thought is that... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by YodaHulk, May 30, 2017.

1. YodaHulk Win User

System Lock Down

Does anyone know if it's possible to lock down Windows 10 Home to not allow anything to run without permission from the user? If so, my thought is that this would be an effective way to prevent any kind of malware/virus/etc. from doing any damage...thoughts?

:)

YodaHulk, May 30, 2017

2. WINDOWS 10 PRO 1607 SECURITY UPDATES LOCK UP AT 83%

this shut down and locked up my system

DK Summit 1, May 30, 2017
  3. Erdeslawe Win User
    How to upgrade to windows 10 via an authenticated proxy?

It sounds as if the Network Administrator has locked down the system to prevent unauthorised downloads. Is that the issue?

Erdeslawe, May 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

System Lock Down

Hi, do you mean whitelisting? (That is, anything not whitelisted requires user approval).

Yes, using a 3rd party program - as far as I've seen these are commercial.

Recently I started using SecureAPlus, which I got as a giveaway offer.
    Free Cloud Antivirus Application Control for PC | SecureAPlus
    - also a multi-engine cloud AV

It has given me a few prompts e.g. when installing new software but has been very quite, no apparent overhead. I have reported 3 BSODS when approving a file related to Avast- not happened for days now though. Support has been responsive.

Even that will not necessarily block all malware, of course, but an interesting added layer.

(I also have CyberReason RansomFree, Cryptoprevent and Bitdefender's free Antiransomware)

On a completely different track, use disk imaging routinely to external storage. Helps you recover from disk failure, ransomware, unbootable PC, user error.... perhaps even cosmic rays.

dalchina, May 30, 2017
  5. RolandJS Win User
    If you are going to approve each and every action before it is allowed to do its thing, my guess is that you're going to tire of doing that after the "honeymoon/new thing" week.

RolandJS, May 30, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    No it's not like that. When the program is initially installed, you can set it to approve everything that already exists.

So it's very quiet. Much quieter than UAC.

dalchina, May 30, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Oh, ok, I misunderstood *Smile

RolandJS, May 31, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

System Lock Down

I use Kaspersky Total Security which has a Trusted Applications Mode. This blocks unrecognised applications from running.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System Lock Down

1. System Lock Down - Similar Threads - System Lock Down

2. Lock down screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock down screen: So for my commuter I wanted to have a badass lock down screen with my own custom pictures that I put into a folder in the pictures section. For some reason I took some lame pictures about a year ago not even putting them in the lock screen thing and for some messed up reason...
  3. edge pull down menus will not lock down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    edge pull down menus will not lock down: When I attempt to use pull down menus, the menu flickers but does not pull down. I can access selections by using arrow keys. This question is marked solved, but after following all instructions, it still does not work. Even downloaded a later version of Edge. This is...
  4. windows locked down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows locked down: windows 10 won't accept my pin and password i'ts on an airplane mode. I can't open it. to reset pin,it asks password which is not accepted. basically, I am not able to open my computer. I had changed my password from another computer, is there any way for it to be fixed?...
  5. lock down

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    lock down: When I am in the process of filling in a form with my name and my email address, the display disappears on the screen and it goes back to the start screen. What is happening and how can it be changed?...
  6. Locking and systems shuts down???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Locking and systems shuts down???: Ever since I upgraded with Windows and also changed my battery my computer constantly out of the blue LOCKS. Says Locking and then shuts down. So annoying and it happens alot....
  7. Locking Then Shut Down

in Windows 10 Support
    Locking Then Shut Down: Is Anybodys PC/Laptop Say Locking And Then Shut Down If Anybody Else Has This Or Knows How To Fix It Please Say I Have A HP Pavilion Laptop Running Windows 10 Home With A Samsung 1TB SSD 149300
  8. Lock Down

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock Down: Help, We are using Windows 10 Pro. I need to 'lock down' a laptop to use only one application installed on the harddrive of the laptop. I cannot use kiosk mode because it only works for a website (as far as I can tell). Does anyone have any ideas for me? We used to use...
  9. tablet lock down!

in Windows 10 Support
    tablet lock down!: Hello, I've purchased a tablet for our company. I only want it to serve pdf's from our networked drive (wifi connection to server)via adobe touch(pdf reader). I need the internet disabled and all other apps restricted. Is this possible to do within winodws settings or...
  10. Complete system locks and BSODs cannot narrow down 0x000000c4,3b,50

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Complete system locks and BSODs cannot narrow down 0x000000c4,3b,50: Here is my system: System Builder - Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition - PCPartPicker It is about a year old and worked fine until a few months ago. Since then, Ive tried so many different things to fix it to no avail that it's hard for me...