Windows 10: System Message "Preparing Security Options ( Ctrl + Alt + Del )"

Discus and support System Message "Preparing Security Options ( Ctrl + Alt + Del )" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've tryed to do my homework reading early posts about this issue, but found no clear answer. When I try to go to Task Manager, I get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by netkingcool, Jan 19, 2018.

1. System Message "Preparing Security Options ( Ctrl + Alt + Del )"

Hi,

I've tryed to do my homework reading early posts about this issue, but found no clear answer.

When I try to go to Task Manager, I get a message "Preparing Security Options" right before the blue screen with the menu were Task Manager access option is. Sometimes slower, other faster, but it's always there.

My question is: Is this normal with a really fresh an clean Win 10 Pro install and why? Does someone knows what's beyond the persistent fog that surrounds this never before answered question ( anywhere ) ?

Thanks in advance, to all of you taking the time.

Alberto P.

:)

netkingcool, Jan 19, 2018
  2. Gavsky Win User

Threshold 2 Build 1511 re-install, same old problems...

System on for only 5 minutes, Chrome crashed, CTRL ALT DEL got me to grey screen "Preparing security options" and endless 'circling dot' timer. Left for 5 minutes and still the same screen. Had to re-boot.

Gavsky, Jan 19, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Creator's Update

After pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del there appears on the screen, very briefly, a message reading "Preparing Security Options" followed by another screen reading "Lock - Switch User - Sign Out - Task Manager and Cancel". Pressing cancel takes me to the desktop
    screen. This is not life threatening but VERY annoying. This behaviour and procedure was not present before the Creator Update was installed.

David and ValerieSecord, Jan 19, 2018
  4. System Message "Preparing Security Options ( Ctrl + Alt + Del )"

You can open Task Manager many ways.

• Right-click the Taskbar and click on Task Manager.
    • Open Start, do a search for Task Manager and click the result.
    • Use the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keyboard shortcut.
    • Use the Ctrl + Alt + Del keyboard shortcut and click on Task Manager.

Its strange why Windows displays a "Preparing Security Options" message when you use Ctrl + Alt + Del keyboard shortcut, can you please check and see if this issue resolves from Safe Mode.

FreeBooter, Jan 19, 2018
  5. I briefly get the "Preparing Security Options" screen on all my Win10 Pro and Home machines when I use C-A-D. It's quicker on some machines so it can be hard to catch but it's there.

As to why it's there - I can only guess. You can change your password and switch users at the C-A-D screen so I suppose that those are the "security options" Windows is preparing.

PolarNettles, Jan 19, 2018
  6. Thanks, i don't get "Preparing Security Options" screen, OP it looks like its all normal.

FreeBooter, Jan 19, 2018
  7. Hello FreeBooter,

Thank you for your reply. I followed your suggestion. Boot in Safe Mode, first with network option, second with minimal boot. And yes - Very fast, but the system message still appears.

Just for the records: My upstairs neighbour, she´s a high school teacher in the information technology area. I got reasons to believe that at certain point, she gained access to my computer via Security Policies in Windows Server, using the built-in hidden Administrator account. There has been a loooooonnng learning curve, so please don't think I'm a security paranoid neither I am a Power User. Just a regular user with some knowledge.

If you remember something else I can try, please let me know.

Thank you once again

Aberto P.

8. System Message "Preparing Security Options ( Ctrl + Alt + Del )"

You can disable and enable Windows OS administrative hidden shares with my batch script attached to my post.

FreeBooter, Jan 19, 2018
  9. I just tried this on a completely clean install of 1709 with no network connection and I see it also. So it looks like a normal Windows message.

PolarNettles, Jan 19, 2018
  10. PolarNettles, thanks for the info.

As to you FreeBooter, I will try your batch script as soon as I get back to my pc.

11. As for hidden build-in Administrator account you can disable it if you like when disabled no one can connect to your computer using build-in Administrator account.

Please open the Command Prompt by simply holding down the
    System Message "Preparing Security Options ( Ctrl + Alt + Del )" [​IMG]
    + X keys and select the option “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

System Message "Preparing Security Options ( Ctrl + Alt + Del )" [​IMG]

Please execute below command to disable build-in Administrator account:

Code: Net user Administrator /Active:no[/quote]
    If you want you can enable build-in Administrator account by executing below command:

Code: Net user Administrator /Active:yes[/quote]

FreeBooter, Jan 19, 2018
  12. lx07 Win User
    [/quote] You should never do that. Administrator has blank password so if you enable it anyone can either sign on or use their token.

If you want to enable it you should say Code: Net user Administrator ABCDEFG /Active:yes[/quote] Obviously no-one would guess "ABCDEFG" as a password but if you think they might you could choose another one *Wink

Any password is better than none at all.

13. System Message "Preparing Security Options ( Ctrl + Alt + Del )"

OP I suggest using it sparingly, only when you need to perform several administrative and don’t want to be bothered by UAC prompts. Initially, this ‘super’ hidden Administrator account does not have a password, a serious vulnerability for a full-fledged administrator account. Best to assign a strong password to this account at the earliest opportunity.

*Arrow Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

FreeBooter, Jan 19, 2018
  14. Word Man Win User
    ...[/quote] Just wanted to follow up - that password will stick once it's been assigned, even if then set /active:no, so /active:yes without password will require the prior set password to log in.

But, yes, you should NEVER leave "administrator" with a default blank password and it's best practice to go back to /active:no once you've finished whatever prompted you to activate it.

Word Man, Jan 19, 2018
  15. Dear All,

Thank you very much. I believe that with your help, I can now configure my pc more securely.

I will make a fresh install and follow all your advice.

Cheers

Alberto P.

Thema:

System Message "Preparing Security Options ( Ctrl + Alt + Del )"

1. System Message "Preparing Security Options ( Ctrl + Alt + Del )" - Similar Threads - System Message Preparing

2. ctrl-alt-del netplwiz secure sign-in cannot uncheck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ctrl-alt-del netplwiz secure sign-in cannot uncheck: after upgrading windows 10 pro to windows 10 pro ghost specter. netplwiz forces me to use ctrl-alt-del to unlock my lockscreen.after upgrading windows 10 pro to windows 10 pro ghost specter. netplwiz forces me to use ctrl-alt-del to unlock my lockscreen....
  3. ctrl-alt-del netplwiz secure sign-in cannot uncheck

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ctrl-alt-del netplwiz secure sign-in cannot uncheck: after upgrading windows 10 pro to windows 10 pro ghost specter. netplwiz forces me to use ctrl-alt-del to unlock my lockscreen.after upgrading windows 10 pro to windows 10 pro ghost specter. netplwiz forces me to use ctrl-alt-del to unlock my lockscreen....
  4. ctrl-alt-del netplwiz secure sign-in cannot uncheck

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Change Password Is Missing From Ctrl+Alt+Del Options

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change Password Is Missing From Ctrl+Alt+Del Options: I have been using Windows 10 for a while now. And for a long time now, I've never bothered to change my password until now. I have an experience with previous versions of the Windows operating systems such as Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 etc. Anytime I wanted to change my logon password,...
  6. Change Password Is Missing From Ctrl+Alt+Del Options

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Password Is Missing From Ctrl+Alt+Del Options: I have been using Windows 10 for a while now. And for a long time now, I've never bothered to change my password until now. I have an experience with previous versions of the Windows operating systems such as Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 etc. Anytime I wanted to change my logon password,...
  7. CTRL + ALT + DEL delayed

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    CTRL + ALT + DEL delayed: Hello, Recently I've had a couple of users report a very long delay after hitting CTRL + ALT + DEL One came into the help desk and I can confirm that it can take up to 10 minutes. The users machine was Windows 10 Version 2004. Lenovo Thinkpad T14. I disabled all non...
  8. Forced to ctrl+Alt +Del to login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Forced to ctrl+Alt +Del to login: Running windows 10 completely updated When I boot up my HP Envy 17 inch laptop it arrives at the lock screen. Clicking any key on the keyboard DOES NOT get me to the password/PIN prompt neither does the on screen keyboard. I need to click my mouse to bring up the...
  9. CTRL+ALT+DEL disappears

in Windows 10 Customization
    CTRL+ALT+DEL disappears: Hello; I have a windows 10 on domain. It shows ALT+CTRL+DEL and then i click ok all i get is a black screen with mouse pointer. I tried to change the projector setting to single display same thing. Any ways to resolve this please....
  10. Ctrl+Alt+Del

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ctrl+Alt+Del: When I start the computer it is locked. It is asking for Ctrl+Alt+Del to be entered. When I do this there is no response. I cannot get to the password entry; the keyboard doesn't respond. How do I fix this?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ctrl-alt-del gets preparing security options

2. preparing security options when ctrl alt delete

3. ctrl alt del preparing security options

4. windows 10 ctrl alt del preparing security option msg,
  5. preparing security options using ctrl alt del