Windows 10: System migration hardware, OS and software question

Discus and support System migration hardware, OS and software question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all Rigs blown (see bottom thread to avoid confusion). Ordered some new components to fit in with the existing rig. Boring Part Existing parts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mfx, Oct 12, 2017.

1. MFX
    mfx Win User

System migration hardware, OS and software question

Hi all
    Rigs blown (see bottom thread to avoid confusion).
    Ordered some new components to fit in with the existing rig.
    Boring Part
    Existing parts that I am using:
    Fractal Design R4 Case
    Samsung SSD850Pro 500 MB O/S Programs/Some program data
    Barracuda 2TB Drive for furtehr program data
    120GB OCZ SSD for audio recording (use this for temporary files on live projects then move to external back up drives once done).
    2 other data drives for music, video and random day to day stuff
    The exciting part:
    New components (purchased and committed, coming tomorrow)
    Asus Prime X299a Mobo
    I7 7820x CPU 3.6-4.3ghz not sure but its preconfigured
    !beQuiet Dark Rock 3 cooler
    16gb Corsair RAM 3000mhz (although likely clocked to 2666mhz for CPU o/c courtesy of scan.co.uk)
    1050TI 4GB Windforce GPU
    Lanys TI Firewire PCiE card
    Seasonic 750W Gold PSU

Question any tips on how to install this into the existing case (all previous components (HD aside) removed.
    Things to watch out for? Or is it simple drop in, screw, connect, power on and hope for the best.
    Now I am wondering if anone has any experience on this an hoping it will fit in the existing R4 case.

I use Macrium Reflect Pro for system back up. It has a feature where it can clone the existing install to a new/existing drive and different hardware. I appreaiate that there will be serial number issues etc with some software including windows which is a full license (not OEM etc). However has anyone tried this? OR IS IT the same old story fresh install and spend 3 days installing all software and configuring? I know I know you are all going to say fresh install, the backup image I have is a fesh install but different hardware.

The old hardware was a x58 motherboard with 920 i7 cpu (think first gen not sure)
    Appreciciate any advice.

:)

2. PTXC Win User

INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after Windows 10 Anniversary Update on SSD with RAID

Hello Marc,

Thank you for your reply.

I used the software attached to the bigger SSD (Data Migration software by Samsung).

It migrated all the data (including the OS) from the 128 GB SSD to the 256 GB SSD.

(The new SSD was bootable and the system worked well till the Anniversary

I removed the 128 GB SSD from the system and retained it in a safe place for emergency situations (as a ready-to-go working system).

None of those 2 duplicated systems ever worked at the same time with different computers (as I have on;ly this one).

So I do hope that this emergency switching back to the old SSD (thus changing the hardware ID) it's not leading to system deactivation. (Or I'm wrong?).

Certainly, a natural decission would be to make a clean install of the system.

But again - due to the specific apps and their data that exist on the unbootable SSD - I cannot affort loosing them (they are not transferable).

The question is - is it possible to restore/regenerate/re-create the correct and working startup files (using BCDedit, bootrec, and/or any other tools) so that the SSD would boot again?

Or I need to consider that the Anniversary Update has irrevocably destroyed my system and I may only re-install the system loosing my apps and some data?

Can this be helped?

Brgds,

3. qinada Win User
    qinada, Oct 12, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Make sure the standoffs in the case are in the proper places to match the screw holes in the new motherboard. Just make sure to plug everything into the correct sockets on the motherboard.

The only problem you will have with transferring the existing drive with Windows on it to the new motherboard is if the old motherboard was legacy BIOS (using MBR type disk partitioning) and the new motherboard is UEFI (using GPT type disk partitioning). You will either have to set the new motherboard to boot in legacy BIOS (CSM) mode, or convert the MBR drive to GPT. Won't be a problem if both computers were UEFI. Also you might have an issue if the SATA controllers are different brands or modes (IDE v. AHCI - should be AHCI), depending on the SATA controller driver that was loaded on the Windows on the old computer. It looks like it is too late to run sysprep /generalize on the old system to reset the hardware configuration. To start with you can just boot the computer from the drive you transferred over and hope for the best. It may take right off, install new hardware drivers and you'll be good to go.

See here regarding activation issues:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

NavyLCDR, Oct 12, 2017
  5. MFX
    mfx Win User
    Thanks for all the info really useful.
    From memory the old bios was uefi so hoping OK. I've checked with macrium and apparently their redeploy image system will work fine. Just need to source drivers etc. Finger crossed.

6. MFX
    mfx Win User
    Well everythig went fairy smooth.

What has surprised me is first time boot up, loaded all the drivers for the missing hardware and motherboard. Uninstalled all the old evga motherboard and expansion board drivers.
    The old install "appears" to be running fine. Any thoughts? Just did it to see how it runs, but will reinstall an older fresh install from earlier in the year. Macrium do have a redploy image resurrection which apparetly works.

Will connect to the web in a bit to see how that goes and then test the daw. I am surprised, but when thinking about it I guess there's ot a lot of difference between the old and new hardware as only the mobo/cpu and ram effectively changed. GPU nvidia to nvidia and of course new psu (no detriment to OS of course).

Only gripe is the shops bios config appears to have not saved and is at stock default (will contact them later). Contacted them and they walked through the bios, whilst windows reports the stock the target clock speed in the bios for cpu and ram is higher andwhat is is running at,who knew#?!

The spacer note was a worthhy reminder so thank you *Smile

See how the web and software runs.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 10 is very tolerant of moving to new hardware. Look in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and make sure you have the proper manufacturer's AHCI driver loaded. That will help performance a little bit. You'll probably have to go to the manufacturers website to get the chipset controller that contains the proper SATA AHCI driver.

System migration hardware, OS and software question [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Oct 13, 2017
  8. MFX
    mfx Win User

Thanks Navy

Yes downloaded the new drivers etc from ASUS.
    Windows support logged on to sort out my licensing issue, new key provided.
    Had some issues with the Firwire expansion card (now appears to be working using Microsoft's proprietary (if thats the correct term) and removing the manufacturers.
    Fingers crossed good to go.
    Just loading up my main use - DAW, so heres hoping.

Thanks again, I always appreciate all the solid help not matter how small or large on these forums, fantastic.

M

9. MFX
    mfx Win User
Thema:

1. System migration hardware, OS and software question - Similar Threads - System migration hardware

2. Migration os

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migration os: I cloned the os of my laptop on my ssd but i donot kow how to boot from my ssd not from my old hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migration-os/88321ba8-0e8e-4b75-a2a9-314395227da2
  3. Migration os

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migration os: I cloned the os of my laptop on my ssd but i donot kow how to boot from my ssd not from my old hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migration-os/88321ba8-0e8e-4b75-a2a9-314395227da2
  4. Migrating OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating OS: I've recently purchased an SSD as my hard drive isn't coping as a boot drive and is bottlenecking performance. As a result I've a need to migrate my data across. I'm using a smaller SSD 500gb than HDD 2tb and am aware I need to cut down to fit. My issue is that I've lost my...
  5. Migrating OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrating OS: I've recently purchased an SSD as my hard drive isn't coping as a boot drive and is bottlenecking performance. As a result I've a need to migrate my data across. I'm using a smaller SSD 500gb than HDD 2tb and am aware I need to cut down to fit. My issue is that I've lost my...
  6. Migrating OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Moving OS drive to new hardware question

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OS drive to new hardware question: Hello everyone. I was wondering if It was possible to move my SSD (boot drive) onto new hardware. I'm upgrading my pc a bit, one of the things being the motherboard. I really don't want to purchase windows if I don't have to, so i'm wondering if it can be moved properly....
  8. OS Migration

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OS Migration: I have a PC that has become very slow at booting up. Sometimes it takes so long to be ready to use, I have to re-boot it again in order for it so be useable at all. It has 2 x 1TB HDDs in it & the one with the OS on it is at about 95% full. So I guess that this cold be the...
  9. os migration

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    os migration: hi I have a gaming pc with 3 ssd slots. I am purchasing a new faster ssd but I am still going to use the old ssd on the same pc. is it possible to transfer the operating system files to the faster ssd as well as the apps, games ect. can all this be done with out loosing any...
  10. OS migration tools

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS migration tools: Hi everyone, I bought a new computer with Windows and wonder if there are some tools to move all of my settings, files and applications to a new one. Maybe someone has used any of applications which move all of these things? I heard about PCmover, Zinstall, PCtrans,...