Windows 10: System Partition & C Drive (Merged vs separate). Need Suggestion.

Discus and support System Partition & C Drive (Merged vs separate). Need Suggestion. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows by default make system partition separately. but now i'm using winntsetup to install os which gives me option to put c and system partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LoverOfLove, Jan 22, 2018.

1. System Partition & C Drive (Merged vs separate). Need Suggestion.

Windows by default make system partition separately. but now i'm using winntsetup to install os which gives me option to put c and system partition together.
    i want to know if i merge both partition in one then will it create any problem in future with any windows function?

or keeping system partition separate will have any advantage over merged partition.

(i've a bios and mbr system.)

:)

LoverOfLove, Jan 22, 2018
  2. ZviSever Win User

How to extend (CSystem Partition & C Drive (Merged vs separate). Need Suggestion. :) disk?

Find below the message I got when trying to merge:

"The version of your system is equal or higher tn 1703. We suggest you don't resize/move system partition, which may cause system boot failure. We suggest you create a Windows PE bootable media and resize/move system partition with it."

ZviSever, Jan 22, 2018
  3. Windows OS Spread over 2 Hard Drives

I have Window 7 Home Premium. I used to take system backup using Todo, only of C Drive, as that was the only drive shown. Today I noticed, it selects my C Drive and D Drive as well, and I have no choice. Reading through the Todo guide, I realised that my
    system is spread over two drives, I do not know why. I am not knowledgeable enough to play with the system.

For my C Drive Backup, I need less than 40gb. With this, it is showing the space required to be more than 200gb. I can create a separate drive and move my data files to that drive. And then try to merge merge C drive and D. I feel even that may not be possible.
    My C drive is an SSD. D Drive is an HD.

Is there any solution.

Thanks & regards

DattaVaidya, Jan 22, 2018
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

System Partition & C Drive (Merged vs separate). Need Suggestion.

On a legacy BIOS system, it really won't matter either way.

NavyLCDR, Jan 22, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    If you want to use bitlocker you need a separate system partition. Whether you boot UEFI or legacy your system needs to boot a partition that is not encrypted.

BitLocker Drive Encryption | Microsoft Docs

If you don't plan to use bitlocker, as @NavyLCDR said, it really doesn't matter either way.

You may want to not use a separate system partition if you are multi-booting as you might run into the mbr limit of 4 primary partitions. In this case you'd have to balance using bitlocker against running extra OS (Linux, another Windows or whatever).

6. thank you very much for the info... *Smile

LoverOfLove, Jan 23, 2018
  7. AddRAM Win User
    I`ve been using 1 partition for windows for years now, never have any issues with it.

Windows 7 and Windows 10 *Smile

AddRAM, Jan 23, 2018
  8. cereberus Win User

Having all in one partition is a throwback to time when separate partitions did not exist.

There are good reasons to keep the boot files separate as it makes dual booting easier, and if the boot files screw up, it is easy to reinstate them without affecting Windows to name a couple.

cereberus, Jan 24, 2018
  9. lx07 Win User
    When was that? You could partition disks in Windows 95. In Windows 95, 98, or Me, how do I partition and format a new hard drive?

Perhaps you couldn't partition Windows before that (I don't know) but the midrange systems I worked on had partitions from the 1970s.

mbr (which both the OP and I are using) has a limit of 4 primary partitions. Deciding to use one of them as a system partition limits your options when multi-booting rather than making it easier. I had to drop a shared data partition so I could use bitlocker when dual booting with OSX so I could keep to the limit of 4 primary partitions.

It also makes no sense to think a specific file is more likely to "screw up" when being on a one partition than another. Why would it? Even if it did the solution (restore) is the same.

10. cereberus Win User
    I meant the boot partition was not separate from C drive. IIRC the system reserved partition was first introduced in Vista.

It is rather academic now with UEFI but you could install as many versions of windows as you like with only two primary partitions, leaving two for linux by installing each windows installation in virtual hard drives on same partition. Here the system reserved partition needs to be separate.

My point about boot files being separate was more to do with repairing OS being easier if boot files get corrupted. I use Macrium Reflect to rebuild the bcd on system reserved partition if it gets corrupted. I accept sometimes the limit of four primary partitions with non windows OS may force one down a different path, but if booting multiple windows versions, keeping the bcd separate helps keep things clean.

I actually did a test and had Home, PRO, Home N, PRO N all installed as vhds in one partition with one system reserved partition just out of curiosity. I had to cheat a bit by having one version not initially in a vhd so I could easily add the other versions as vhds. Once I could boot from a vhd, I was able to move the "host" OS to a vhd as well. There are probably more elegant ways to do it, but my way worked.

Actually, it is harder to clean install a single instance of windows without creating the system reserved partition unless there is only one primary partition free.

I used to avoid logical partitions though.

With UEFI, it is all academic of course.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System Partition & C Drive (Merged vs separate). Need Suggestion. - Similar Threads - System Partition Drive

2. Need to merge partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to merge partitions: I've just image restored a Windows 10 CSM/MBR backup to new hardware supporting TPM and UEFI,. The original drive was 1TB, but only 500G used, with 3 partitions/volumes. The new drive is 1TB. I've upgraded to Windows 11 and the machine boots successfully. The restore process...
  3. Need to merge partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to merge partitions: I've just image restored a Windows 10 CSM/MBR backup to new hardware supporting TPM and UEFI,. The original drive was 1TB, but only 500G used, with 3 partitions/volumes. The new drive is 1TB. I've upgraded to Windows 11 and the machine boots successfully. The restore process...
  4. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  5. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  6. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  7. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  8. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Merging Drive Partitions

Merging Drive Partitions: [ATTACH]I cloned my internal 500 GB hard drive to an external 2TB hard drive. My intend to format the internal drive, put in an enclosure, and use as an external drive. I plan to put the 2TB dive in the computer as its internal drive. Attached is a copy of my drives as...
  10. Partitioned drives C vs D

Partitioned drives C vs D: Hi I bought a new Windows 10 notebook. I did not realize that the data storage was partitioned. I have 119 GB on C: "Windows" and 930 GB on D: "data drive". My files do not all fit on C:. I assume the data on the D drive loses some functionality, but I don't know what...