Windows 10: System Path variable length problem

Discus and support System Path variable length problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was having a problem with Apple's SyncServer.exe (part of iTunes). It was choking on the length of my system PATH environment variable (2388 bytes),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by perdrix, Nov 22, 2016.

1. perdrix Win User

System Path variable length problem

I was having a problem with Apple's SyncServer.exe (part of iTunes). It was choking on the length of my system PATH environment variable (2388 bytes), so I temporarily hacked it below 2047 bytes, and it worked OK.

BUT I couldn't use Control panel/System/Advanced Systems Settings to restore it to what it was previously as that complained that the variable was too long.

To quote MSDN:

Luckily I was able to restore my PATH by using regedit to change the variable Path stored at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment which doesn't appear to suffer from the problem of the control panel.

Is there any chance this will be fixed (ho ho).

Dave

:)

perdrix, Nov 22, 2016
  2. perdrix52 Win User

Cannot edit long Path Environment variable

I was having a problem with Apple's SyncServer.exe (part of iTunes). It was choking on the length of my system PATH environment variable (2388 bytes), so I temporarily hacked it below 2047 bytes, and it worked OK.

BUT I couldn't use Control panel/System/Advanced Systems Settings to restore it to what it was previously as that complained that the variable was too long.

To quote MSDN: The maximum size of a user-defined environment variable is 32,767 characters. (omitted) Starting with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, there is no technical limitation on the size of the environment block.

Luckily I was able to restore my PATH by using regedit to change the variable Path stored at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment which doesn't appear to suffer from the problem of the control panel.

Is there any chance this will be fixed (**** ****).

Dave

perdrix52, Nov 22, 2016
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Attempts to get into the System Protection menu of System Properties fails.

I haven't been able to find a good answer for this error. It is not likely a RAM or HD space issue. It is more likely a hard coded limit in a variable. Often related to path length limits of 256 char.

On the off chance it is a RAM issue, have you tried restarting the computer since encountering the problem, and retrying the process.

Rohn007, Nov 22, 2016
Thema:

System Path variable length problem

1. System Path variable length problem - Similar Threads - System Path variable

2. Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?: Hello, I have a problem with my PATH variable in my Windows 8.1 computer.1. Where it all starts:I installed SQLite on my computer, and then i want to test it from Command Prompt with this command:sqlite3 test.dbBut the output is:'sqlite3' is not recognized as an internal or...
  3. Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?: Hello, I have a problem with my PATH variable in my Windows 8.1 computer.1. Where it all starts:I installed SQLite on my computer, and then i want to test it from Command Prompt with this command:sqlite3 test.dbBut the output is:'sqlite3' is not recognized as an internal or...
  4. problem with length of Environment Variables window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem with length of Environment Variables window: The Environment Variables window is too long for my screen. As a result, I cannot access the “OK” and “Cancel” buttons.Could a scroll bar for the entire Environment Variables window be added in order to allow those buttons to be reached?Or is there way that they can be...
  5. problem with length of Environment Variables window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem with length of Environment Variables window: The Environment Variables window is too long for my screen. As a result, I cannot access the “OK” and “Cancel” buttons.Could a scroll bar for the entire Environment Variables window be added in order to allow those buttons to be reached?Or is there way that they can be...
  6. problem with length of Environment Variables window

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. regarding path variable of user variable of environment variable

in Windows 10 Customization
    regarding path variable of user variable of environment variable: please help me fast, I accidentally deleted path variable of user variable ..... I want to restore it. the real situation is I cannot run android studio project and it shows error - " unable to start daemon process............This problem might be caused by incorrect...
  8. System variables what does path do

in Windows 10 Support
    System variables what does path do: Testing a method on a bench machine i have i added my programs folder to the path section of my system variables and programs like iTunes was displayed quicker on the screen. What is the path section of system variables do? 143116
  9. Environmental variable/path

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Environmental variable/path: Hello community, I need some help. I was attempting to download Oracle JDK/JRE and somehow corrupted my path. Can anyone tell me the default path setting that I need to restore? I appreciate your help....
  10. Path length limit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Path length limit: I want to install Python. Should I disable the path length limit? Are there any negatives to doing so? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/path-length-limit/412d48cd-7ddf-435a-9935-cf51af16f8a4