Windows 10: System recovery question - Win 8 / Win 10

Discus and support System recovery question - Win 8 / Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am working on an HP laptop which was bought with WIndows 8, but now has a corrupt, infected Windows10 installation. Having exhausted all the less... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Xlrtech, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Xlrtech Win User

System recovery question - Win 8 / Win 10

I am working on an HP laptop which was bought with WIndows 8, but now has a corrupt, infected Windows10 installation. Having exhausted all the less invasive options, I am now looking at using the System Recovery option to get a clean version of Windows I can build on.

Question is this: I believe using SR will install Win 8; will I still be able to upgrade this to Win 10 without charge, as I have the Win 10 product key?

:)

Xlrtech, Aug 14, 2016
  2. Alecxm Win User

I am working on an HP laptop which was bought with WIndows 8, but now has a corrupt, infected Windows10 installation. Having exhausted all the less invasive options, I am now looking at using the System
    Recovery option to get a clean version of Windows I can build on.

Question is this: I believe using SR will install Win 8; will I still be able to upgrade this to Win 10 without charge, as I have the Win 10 product key?

Alecxm, Aug 14, 2016
  3. System recovery question - Win 8 / Win 10

Hi,

If your Windows 10 was successfully activated after upgrading from Windows 8.2 to Windows 10, then you can reinstall Windows 10 on your computer. You can directly install Windows 10 on your computer by referring the steps mentioned in the link below.

Refer the section: Use installation media to restore or reset your PC.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

For more reference:

Create installation media for Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Aug 14, 2016
  4. Mooly Win User

If the PC has been running W10 OK then your PC and its license code should be on the Microsoft Servers. What that means is that you can clean install Ten without having to input a license key... and a clean install for an infected PC is often the best bet. Why go through having to go back to W8.1 when you can go straight to Ten.

That would be my advice. Back all your personal stuff up to a USB drive and then clean install.

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Mooly, Aug 14, 2016
  5. Kbird Win User
    Agree +1

just did this for a friend at the weekend.... used 1607 to clean install it.

Kbird, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System recovery question - Win 8 / Win 10 - Similar Threads - System recovery question

2. Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..: Hi team.I have an issue with updating from win 8 to. 8.1..or 10.I don't use my notebook that often and only for email, word documents and printing..small browsing and you tube.Don't wanna buy a new machine just yet...I'm running win8 x 64 bit.But want to update the os to a...
  3. Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..: Hi team.I have an issue with updating from win 8 to. 8.1..or 10.I don't use my notebook that often and only for email, word documents and printing..small browsing and you tube.Don't wanna buy a new machine just yet...I'm running win8 x 64 bit.But want to update the os to a...
  4. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  5. Problem with system starting after update to win 10 from win 8

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with system starting after update to win 10 from win 8: After upgrading from windows 8 to windows 10 i have a problem. When I turn on the laptop there is a system loading screen, then a black screen is displayed for one to two minutes and only then it turns on. I have updated drivers. And everything in task manager in autostart is...
  6. System Recovery 8 to 10

System Recovery 8 to 10: Doing a system recovery on an Acer laptop that came with 8 but was upgraded to 10. Needed recovery media from Acer. Would you believe 6 CDs? I believe the recovery will reinstall W-8 Can I do an upgrade back to 10 as long as I have the embedded product key? Pete 123782
  7. Win 10 "Recovery Drive" General Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 "Recovery Drive" General Questions: "A*recovery drive*can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it won’t start. A recovery drive is a USB version of a*system repair disc*with an option to include the system files to be able to also reset Windows 10 from the recovery drive." Two...
  8. Win 10 System repair disk question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 System repair disk question: Since now I don't have install disks and I have 4 versions of Win 10 (Home 64 bit, Home 32 bit, Pro 64 bit and Pro 32 bit) do I need 4 versions of system repair disk or will one disk work on everything? Tks. 19120
  9. Win 8 not 8.1 upgrade to win 10?

Win 8 not 8.1 upgrade to win 10?: I have a laptop with win 8 on it it does not have win 8.1 on it, can I use the win 10 mediacreation tool to upgrade win 8 (non 8.1) to win 10? 43418
  10. Is my Recovery partition Win 8 or Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is my Recovery partition Win 8 or Win 10?: I am doing some OS maintenance on friends Surface Pro 2 currently running Win 10 Pro x64. One of the things I want to do is implement a backup process using Macrium Reflect. The HDD has a Recovery partition on it of around 6GB (full) but I don't know whether it's current...