Windows 10: System Recovery > Repair folder hogging disk space

Discus and support System Recovery > Repair folder hogging disk space in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have noticed that C:\System Recovery\Repair is taking a large amount of disc space. TreeSize shows that it contains 351,288 files, Size 53.8GB,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by prepbgg, Jul 31, 2017.

1. prepbgg Win User

System Recovery > Repair folder hogging disk space

I have noticed that C:\System Recovery\Repair is taking a large amount of disc space. TreeSize shows that it contains 351,288 files, Size 53.8GB, Allocated 36.2GB. The file types are mainly .dll .exe .manifest .sys .mof .cat

I read elsewhere on the web that it might relate to Dell Backup and Recovery and that uninstalling that program might release the space. I have therefore uninstalled it but no space has been released. I tried to copy it to an external disc with a view to possibly deleting it, but Windows did not allow me to access it.

What is this folder? Is it managed by Windows? Can it be reduced in size, or removed?

:)

prepbgg, Jul 31, 2017

2. How to create Recovery disc in windows 10

Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Recovery. Also type "Recovery" into search box. Finally Control Panel> System and Security > Backup and Repair> Create System Repair Disk.

huckleberry2703, Jul 31, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 31, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I don't have such a folder in my Anniversary build installation.

You should always be able to delete items by e.g.
    - shift + left click Restart and navigate to a command prompt
    - boot from a Windows disk to a command prompt via 'Repair your computer'
    - using a boot disk such as Kyhi's -top of the Software and Apps section
    - i.e. Windows is not running so permissions are not an issue, nor running programs accessing it
    - using a program such as Emco MoveonBoot (free) (delete on restart)
    - using an unlocker program
    - changing permissions

etc etc

dalchina, Jul 31, 2017
  5. prepbgg Win User
    Thanks, dalchina, for the advice about how to delete. However, I'm nervous of the possible consequences of deleting without knowing more about the folder.

Does the fact that Windows restricts access mean that it is used by Windows? And if so, what for?

I'm struggling to find information about the folder on the web. I've found some forum threads suggesting that it may be a problem specifically affecting Dell computers and the preinstalled Dell Backup and Recovery software. (I never knowingly used that program before I uninstalled it.) I've also found a thread (How to Fix: Can't Delete 'C:\System Recovery' Folder | www.infopackets.com) referring to an HP computer. I wonder if the folder was used by software that both Dell and HP install?

prepbgg, Jul 31, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I don't know what the exact message is you're seeing.

Permissions?
    Folder in use?

If it's the latter, you may get more info by using an unlocker tool, which would tell you what's using it. That could be informative.

dalchina, Jul 31, 2017
  7. prepbgg Win User
    When I try to open "C:\System Recovery\Repair\Backup" a popup window opens with the message "You don't currently have permission to access this folder."

I wish I had not uninstalled Dell Backup and Recovery so hastily, because I might have been able to tell by running that program what folder location it used for its backup data (if indeed it was backing anything up). I have tried reinstalling the program but the installation failed.

I have now asked on the Dell Community forum if anyone can throw light on this. Failing that, I may simply follow the instructions to delete the folder and hope for the best.

Thanks again for your help.

prepbgg, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Recovery > Repair folder hogging disk space - Similar Threads - System Recovery Repair

2. system repair disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system repair disk?: what is a system repair disk and how do I get one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-repair-disk/c920d5c3-8bf7-4150-98c9-9358a3ada27a
  3. system repair disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system repair disk?: what is a system repair disk and how do I get one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-repair-disk/c920d5c3-8bf7-4150-98c9-9358a3ada27a
  4. Problem with Win 10 system repair disk or recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with Win 10 system repair disk or recovery disk: I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me regarding safety disks/usb. I have Windows 10 Home 64bit. It says ut is version 19042, 1502 I am trying to make a new up-to-date Windows system repair disk. My previous repair disk seems to boot up fine but the two brand new...
  5. System Repair Disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Repair Disk: I couldn't find any information in support about my question. Which is: Do we need to create a new "System Repair Disk" for "System Backup" each time we update the new version of our Windows 10?...
  6. recovery system image repair disk

recovery system image repair disk: I have a Dell 7010 with current updates for win 10. I purchased two new 250g hard drives. I used the system repair disk to install my system backup on the first one. Witch seemed to work fine. when I tried to put the system on my second new hard drive the repair disk will...
  7. System repair / recovery

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System repair / recovery: Hello, System Repair / Recovery doesn't work in my Windows 10 Pro version 1909. Error code : 0x81000203 : stations cannot be scanned (?). How to solve this issue ? Thanks in advance for your reply. Best regards. 147794
  8. System Recovery Uses a LOT of Disk Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Recovery Uses a LOT of Disk Space: I have nothing loaded onto my laptop (because there's no room!!!) yet 72.9GB (of 110) is allocated to System Recovery. When I search for answers I'm pointed toward system restore points and setting max disk space. You can see that I've set max disk space at 2% but that's...
  9. system repair disk

system repair disk: I was told that I can use a USB drive to create system repair drive but the only option is to use DVD/CD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-repair-disk/c4bc3e8d-81e1-4756-9ac6-6ca0ae08e632
  10. Updating system repair/recovery disk?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Updating system repair/recovery disk?: Hi, I am running windows 10 Creator version. My system repair/recovery USB flash drive was created during windows 8.1. Do I have to update the stick? 94124

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows backup hogging disk space