Windows 10: System Reserved Fragmented

Discus and support System Reserved Fragmented in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I noticed my System Reserved was 11% Fragmented I think this happened after a OS upgrade to 1709. I cant seem to defrag it as I read it not important... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DrSysop, Dec 19, 2017.

1. DrSysop Win User

System Reserved Fragmented

I noticed my System Reserved was 11% Fragmented I think this happened after a OS upgrade to 1709. I cant seem to defrag it as I read it not important but like to fix this.

System Reserved Fragmented [​IMG]

I went into Disk management & letter drive as B so I can see whats is n it & its empty directory. & tryed to chkddsk /f & defrag it & no change.

<--- There is no files in this Reserved.

When I right click the Reserved drive in Explorer strange thing I get this as it thinks it has files in it.

I tried to reformat this & wont let me so even though it wont affect anything just want to defrag it to 0%.

Thannks

:)

DrSysop, Dec 19, 2017

2. System Reserved fragmentation

Hello, a week ago my system reserved was 36% fragmented. now it's at 75% and doesn't seem to change at all when i try to defrag it. I wanna know if it's dangerous or/and if its fragmentation percentage will lower eventually.

Doctor.Maximus, Dec 19, 2017
  3. EthanGray Win User
    System Reserved at 51% fragmented, Optimization won't run

Pardon me for asking, but what's the point of showing that the system reserve is fragmented ( mine is 100% fragmented!) if nothing can be done about it? It only confuses the users.

EthanGray, Dec 19, 2017
  4. Word Man Win User

There ARE files there, namely those required to run the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE for short). Some folks feel they are necessary, other folks rely on completely different tools and blow the partition away.

Did you set File Explorer option to be able to see both hidden and system files?

If you execute "reagentc /info" at an elevated (admin) command prompt, the output will tell you if and where an active WinRE is.

It's only used infrequently so there's nothing to gain with defrag unless you're OCD about it.

Word Man, Dec 19, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    It's important not to confuse the Recovery partition with the Microsoft Reserved Partition. You're talking about the Recovery partition, but the OP may be talking about the MSR - a completely different feature, only found on gpt-partitoned drives.

(no real need to defrag that, either)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ws-and-gpt-faq

6. Word Man Win User
    I'm fairly certain from the appearance and context that OP is talking about the Recovery Partition. No confusion on my part but you do well, Bree, to make the point so that no one else is confused.

True MSR would be found empty (in most cases) but it wouldn't show up in Optimize Drives just the same as it won't show in Disk Management.

Word Man, Dec 19, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    OP IS DEFINITELY talking about the System Reserved Partition as OP clearly has a legacy bios installation. This has nothing to do with the MSR partition or Recovery partition.

It really does not matter if the system reserved partition is fragmented as it is static and impact on booting will be negligible. The partition is only briefly accessed during bootup and not used during normal operation.

Just leave it alone and things will be fine.

cereberus, Dec 19, 2017
  8. Word Man Win User

Yes, I see what you mean, @cereberus - I misspoke in labeling that partition Recovery. I checked myself by looking at the section prior to the one linked by Bree, i.e., https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ive-partitions Therein they label the partition OP speaks of as System. I fall too easily into the trap of loose semantics on these.

I guess it only qualifies as speculation (unless we hear more from @DrSysop) that the partition in question contains the WinRE. Nonetheless, there are files in the partition.

At least we are all aligned in that OP can well afford to just let the partition be.

Word Man, Dec 20, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    I've noticed running Optimise through GUI doesn't optimize System Reserved (even if it says it needs it).

However if you run defrag / c /h /o from command line it does. This is on a BIOS PC...

I agree you don't need to as it is only written to when you upgrade Windows but it is an interesting difference.

10. cereberus Win User
    Most definitely the System Reserved partition

This drive has only two partitions - not even the MSR or any recovery partitions as I deleted them.

cereberus, Dec 20, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - interesting but pointless.

cereberus, Dec 20, 2017
  12. Word Man Win User
    But as it's MBR, there'd never have been an MSR, correct?
    My guess that OP's WinRE is in the SR partition is only based on the amount of space in use shown in the first post. WinRE could as easily be there (or on the Windows partition) as in a Recovery partition.

But enough said on that unless OP wants to pursue it beyond what we've provided here.

Word Man, Dec 20, 2017
  13. lx07 Win User

Correct.

You were right in the first place and you still are.

14. DrSysop Win User
    Did you set File Explorer option to be able to see both hidden and system files?

Yes i have them visible & there is nothing there

It's only used infrequently so there's nothing to gain with defrag unless you're OCD about it.[/QUOTE]

DrSysop, Dec 20, 2017
  15. Here is the way my new install looks like. I have changed nothing. It's exactly the way Windows 10 installed my system.

Mini Tool gives more information.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 20, 2017
Thema:

1. System Reserved Fragmented - Similar Threads - System Reserved Fragmented

2. System Reserved 11% fragmented needs optimization!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Reserved 11% fragmented needs optimization!: HI Guys.My PC is working perfectly right now, and I have been told that this is nothing to worry about, but I find it irritating. I recently updated to the latest version of windows available and did my usual sfc and dism checks which were fine. I could'nt help but notice...
  3. System Reserved 11% fragmented needs optimization!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Reserved 11% fragmented needs optimization!: HI Guys.My PC is working perfectly right now, and I have been told that this is nothing to worry about, but I find it irritating. I recently updated to the latest version of windows available and did my usual sfc and dism checks which were fine. I could'nt help but notice...
  4. System Reserved 11% fragmented needs optimization!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How do I get my defrag to optimize the 26% fragmented on my system reserved.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get my defrag to optimize the 26% fragmented on my system reserved.: I have run analyze and optimize several times. It doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-my-defrag-to-optimize-the-26/137068a1-d6df-4c19-9a63-955d71d04104
  6. How do I get my defrag to optimize the 26% fragmented on my system reserved.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get my defrag to optimize the 26% fragmented on my system reserved.: I have run analyze and optimize several times. It doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-my-defrag-to-optimize-the-26/137068a1-d6df-4c19-9a63-955d71d04104
  7. How do I get my defrag to optimize the 26% fragmented on my system reserved.

8. System 38% fragmented, will not optimize

in Windows 10 Customization
    System 38% fragmented, will not optimize: My computer shows the system is 38% fragmented, will not optimize, and I have already made sure I have the most current updates for Windows 10. I need help to get the system to optimize....
  9. system reserved fragment

system reserved fragment: Hi, How can I fragment system partition My windows start takes too long time [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-reserved-fragment/d9623038-4e66-42f0-b1c5-9737c77c0c8e
  10. System Reserve, Needs Optimization (100% Fragmented)

System Reserve, Needs Optimization (100% Fragmented): System Reserved Needs optimization (93% fragmented) after I select optimize and then quickly revers to 100% I see old tickets from 2016 but today is 2/11/2019 and problem not resolved and I have massive HD churn....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system reserved file 65% fragmented?\

2. system reserved partition 3% fragmented WYE

3. system reserve is 91% fragmented

4. 51% fragmented but wont optimize,
  5. optimize system reserved partition,
  6. system reserved needs optimization 51% fragmented