Windows 10: System restarts itself sometime after a shutdown

Discus and support System restarts itself sometime after a shutdown in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have multiple PC's running W10 v1511. For some reason at least one of them and I suspect more than one will automatically restart after it has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ken429, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Ken429 Win User

System restarts itself sometime after a shutdown

I have multiple PC's running W10 v1511. For some reason at least one of them and I suspect more than one will automatically restart after it has been shutdown. The restart does not occur immediately, in fact, it is several hours before the magic happens! The reason I know it's happening is the system will be in a sleep state when I check it in the morning after I know I shut it down the night before. The PC in question is the one that I have described in my system specs. I know all about the "Wake On" settings in the in the Intel network controller. I have them all turned off (unchecked) but that only effects the system when in sleep mode? Is there some other setting that could be causing the system to refuse to stay shutdown? Any idea on what the heck is going on would be appreciated.

:)

Ken429, Jan 30, 2016

2. System restarts after sometime without user interaction.

Hi,

Thanks for the update and response.

I understand that you are still facing issues with the BSOD.

Follow the below methods and check if it helps.

I suggest you to remove all the external devices before you restart the computer.

Method 1: Try booting the system in Safe Mode and check the status of the issue.

Safe mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services. If a problem doesn't reappear when you start your PC in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and basic device drivers and services as possible
    causes. Refer the link below for steps to boot in Safe Mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...ther-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Method 2: In Safe modeUse check disk command for any errors on hard disk

Warning: Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process. Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted .For safety
    you can back up your data before using the

check disk command.

Use the check disk commands as follows:

a. Press Windows Key + X, then choose Command prompt (Admin) from the context menu.

b. In search window type 'cmd' and ENTER. Right click and select 'Run as administrator'.

c. Type at the command prompt CHKDSK /P and press ENTER to scan the disk.

d. Then type CHKDSK C: /F /R and press ENTER to repair corrupt sectors, if there are any.

NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

Once chkdsk completes, boot to the desktop and then check.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Jan 30, 2016
  3. MtSeldon Win User
    System restarts after sometime without user interaction.

I started the computer in safe mode , and computer ran with a BSOD .

now how am i going to find what's responsible for the BSOD while computer is idle?

MtSeldon, Jan 30, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Have you by any chance scheduled a task to run at a certain time of the day or week ?

davidhk, Jan 30, 2016
  5. Ken429 Win User
    I have not installed any tasks but there are several tasks installed by various software programs I use. This is really strange because I have one other machine with almost the same system specs and the software installed and it does not start itself from the shutdown state. Obviously, there is something different between the two systems.

I logged "on a piece of paper" that I shutdown the problem system at 3AM today! So we'll try to watch and see when it comes back to life on it's own. I'll also go check when the tasks were last run in the Task Scheduler.

Ken429, Jan 31, 2016
  6. Ken429 Win User
    Ok, it looks like the system reboots on it own exactly 24 hours after shutdown - at least that is what it did today! I can tell that since the system was in an S3 sleep state by the time I checked it but the Task Manager shows when all the startup tasks were last run. I'll verify that this is true tomorrow since I shut it down at a slightly different time this morning.

Like I said above, I have other systems with similar hardware and software (including startup tasks) and they do not startup on their own when shutdown. Hope the 24 hour detail sheds some light on what is going on with this system.

Ken429, Feb 1, 2016
  7. Ken429 Win User
    Another day and another W10 auto restart from the shutdown state exactly 24 hours from the time I manually shutdown it down! Somebody must have a clue on what the heck is going on with this one PC.

I can say without question that my problem system restarts itself from a shutdown state every 24 hours. It makes no difference what time I shut id down it down it restarts itself exactly 24 hours later. Someone must have some idea on what heck W10 v1511 is up to?! I suppose it's no big deal as far a energy consumption is concerned since the system uses ~0 watts when in the sleep state. But it ain't right and I'd sure like to get to the bottom of the issue. Help!!!

Ken429, Feb 2, 2016
  8. Ken429 Win User

Not getting much help with this issue!

Just to add to my woes, I now have two machines that restart themselves EXACTLY 24 hours to the second after they have been SHUTDOWN. The problem has probably been on both systems all along I just never paid close attention to why they were in sleep mode - I just assumed I forgot to shut them down! Both systems are built on an ASRock Z97 Extreme6 MB and a 4790K processor running with default BIOS settings. Both systems have a relatively fresh install of W10 v1511. I have two other systems built on an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 MB with a 3770K processor and a 2600K processor. Neither of these two systems have the problem. All four systems have the same software installed! I can't believe I'm the only one in the world with this issue, minor though it may be?

Ken429, Feb 24, 2016
  9. Ken429 Win User
    Problem solved! Disabled the Intel Smart Connect Technology option in the BIOS and the Reboot issue goes away. Apparently the ASRock Extreme6 BIOS implementation of the Z97 chip is a little different than the Extreme4 Z77 implementation. The Default setting on both MB's was Enabled yet the Z77's (at least mine) don't have the Reboot "problem". The guys on the Malwarebytes Forum jumped all over me when I tried to blame that program. They directed me to the BIOS issue almost immediately!

Ken429, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System restarts itself sometime after a shutdown - Similar Threads - System restarts itself

2. System restart itself or freeze

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restart itself or freeze: hi, this is maybe 3 or 4th time my laptop restart itself in middle of games and adobe apps in 1 day, it gave me a minidump file.I'll leave a link for anyone who can read or understand this dump information.Google Drive :...
  3. System restart itself or freeze

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restart itself or freeze: hi, this is maybe 3 or 4th time my laptop restart itself in middle of games and adobe apps in 1 day, it gave me a minidump file.I'll leave a link for anyone who can read or understand this dump information.Google Drive :...
  4. Computer restarts after shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer restarts after shutdown: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BigBossXDiana [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m6gx5r/computer_restarts_after_shutdown/
  5. Pc restarts itself after shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Pc restarts itself after shutdown: When I press shutdown button in start menu,It restarts itself.Usually it happens at night. How can I fix this? 139074
  6. Laptop Randomly Restarts and Sometimes it Shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Randomly Restarts and Sometimes it Shutdown: Hello there, I am facing this issue for about 4 days from now, my laptop restarts randomly and sometimes it shutdown automatically even when i am working or playing a game on it. I searched for this error and got a lot of suggestions, but nothing worked. For example. The...
  7. System shutdown itself and after restart two problems 1. cant log in profile and 2. taskbar...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System shutdown itself and after restart two problems 1. cant log in profile and 2. taskbar...: Hi I have Windows 10 version 1803(OS build 17134.165) As mentioned above, I got hit by both problems at same time. 1. We cant sign in to your account 2. Taskbar no response i.e. cant open settings, cant update nothing working except taskmanager and powershell Solutions...
  8. Restart after Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restart after Shutdown: This is a question I've asked before. My PC often restarts even though I have powered off with Shutdown. The System settings for Shutdown and Restart are set correctly....
  9. Preventing System Shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Preventing System Shutdown/restart: is there a way to avoid a forced restart? Many times I have work open, and microsoft windows FORCES a restart when I'm not watching. is there a way to absolutely PREVENT the computer from restarting due to updates?...
  10. PC turns itself on after shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    PC turns itself on after shutdown: Around the time when I first setup automatic shutdown in Windows Scheduler (or what it's called in English), my PC has started turning itself back on again after shutdown in the evening. I've tried disabling the scheduled shutdown but it made no difference, and I'm not sure...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc restarting after sometime