Windows 10: System Restore and SSD?

Discus and support System Restore and SSD? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hey guys, I recently installed an SSD and I found out while running Samsung's OS Optimization disk that it has turned off System Restore by default.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ajtronic, Feb 12, 2016.

1. ajtronic Win User

System Restore and SSD?

Hey guys,

I recently installed an SSD and I found out while running Samsung's OS Optimization disk that it has turned off System Restore by default. I of course can turn it back on, but I wanted to get feedback on turning on System Restore on an solid state drive.

Thanks,

AJ

:)

ajtronic, Feb 12, 2016

2. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 as time passes I find Windows 10 very intrusive to my personal files music and pictures with the new 10 update it seems it will become more intrusive.

When I upgraded to 10 I had to sign in as a new user with a different password from Win 7. I lost my Win 7 password. Widows 10 has moved all my music files and picture files. My back up is stored off site and system restore back to a previous time I assume
    is using my old 7 password and my user/computer name for security thus disallowing access to those files. How do I find my old password while using Windows 10 because I would like to go back to Win 7. I am not a gamer and it seems Win 10 and the anniversary
    update are targeted toward multiple computer gamer use. I do have a system repair disc from Win 7.

John M system restore, Feb 12, 2016
  3. System restore is deleting restore points, and when i added a new one before making changes to my pc,

If you go into Windows/Panther file you'll find the files Setuperr and Setupact text files. If you read through them you'll find a line stating "Erase Restore Points" or something to that effect. You've likely found that to be quite accurate. As far as I
    can tell this emerged when MS was allowing free upgrades to the Windows 10 system or possibly Anniversary update. I never saw it activate until Update 1709 and Windows 10 Update Assistant emerged with it. Bottom line you better have a BU drive and BU software
    independent of System image in Control Panel. Plus Acronis, and excellent program I'm told, has been linked with installation problems in Update 1709. Understand though there are dozens of problems linked to Update 1709.

Jon Baker US=FTC, Feb 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

System Restore and SSD?

Hi, Absolutely fine to use it on any form of R/W storage where Windows is installed.

S. restore is off by default in Win 10.. weird.

Just don't rely on it alone- as you know, it doesn't back up everything, and you'll find very few restore points created in win 10. A good way is to
    a. Create a new scheduled task and create a new restore point daily
    b. Also use disk imaging (3rd party) E.g. Macrium or Veeam Endpoint Backup and update regularly - at key points.
    Lets you restore your system as it was when you imaged it without tech assistance and quickly.

dalchina, Feb 12, 2016
  5. ajtronic Win User
    Reason I was asking was because of the nature of SSDs and their limited writes. I have the Samsung SSD 850 EVO, and I can't recall the lifetime writes on it.
    To be safe I left system restore off and have a separate HDD for imaging backups.

Anyone else feel free to chip in.
    Thanks.

ajtronic, Feb 12, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Suggest you relocate your search index to an HDD if available. Also don't use hibernation.

Your pagefile.sys, tmp files e.g. + perhaps application temporary write space would be far more significant in terms of the frequency of writing than System Restore.

Note this from a 2013 article:

System Restore and SSD? [​IMG]
    ef.gy The chart shows the wear on different-size drives after continuous writing at 6 gigabytes per second (GBps) to get to approximately 100,000 P/E cycles. This test would never happen in a natural setting—there's no way to continuously write 6 GBps with today's tech—and it's far more punishing than anything a regular user would do. The smallest drive lasted for nearly 2 months, while the largest lasted for more than a year. Quite the troopers.

dalchina, Feb 12, 2016
  7. ajtronic Win User
    Did you turn off your paging file?

ajtronic, Feb 13, 2016
  8. GAS
    Gas Win User

System Restore and SSD?

Hi ajtronic,
    Since I started creating regularly a System Image Backup, I mean i create a new Image not updating incrementally an existing one, with an SSd it takes not more than 10 / 15 minutes, I have two "ad hoc" partitions for this purpose and i format the oldest every time i save a new one (I do it at every critical OS/Drivers update, or when i install/update critical SW or any new HW, I use the W7 backup & restore tool ) and as I save data files to a different drive, i don't see any reason to enable the restore point; I was happy seeing that it was disabled in the default settings from W 8 as I had to disable it.
    I have a Samsung SSD myself and I use it's software to optimise it and i have rapid mode enabled, and all works perfectly.

9. Winuser Win User
    It's only turned off to optimize performance. It won't hurt to turn it back on.

System Restore and SSD? [​IMG]

Winuser, Feb 13, 2016
  10. Certain programs give the option to disable Sys Restore as it just enhances the speeds and overall performance of any backup this disk utility software is running.

Of course I would be weary. If you don't use disk imaging (i.e. Acronis) or a snapshot program (i.e. Rollback rx) then you're now vulnerable to a whole mess of issues. So if you disable it, just keep in mind that this means you're out one recovery option.

HanginJang, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System Restore and SSD?

1. System Restore and SSD? - Similar Threads - System Restore SSD

2. Restore data on a secondary SSD after system recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore data on a secondary SSD after system recovery: My laptop has two internal disks, one M.2 SSD for the OS and a SSD Sata for the raw data.I wanted to upgrade my primary disk type M.2 SSD, so I created a recovery unit and then replaced the old M.2 SSD by a new one.Everything was fine while recovering the system from the...
  3. Restore data on a secondary SSD after system recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore data on a secondary SSD after system recovery: My laptop has two internal disks, one M.2 SSD for the OS and a SSD Sata for the raw data.I wanted to upgrade my primary disk type M.2 SSD, so I created a recovery unit and then replaced the old M.2 SSD by a new one.Everything was fine while recovering the system from the...
  4. Restore data on a secondary SSD after system recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  6. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  7. Help! Recover SSD contents after system restore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help! Recover SSD contents after system restore?: Hey all! Not sure if this is the best spot on reddit to post this, but I figured it would be worth a shot! I fear I've made a terrible mistake and I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me... After doing a simple restart to install the latest Nvidia drivers, I was met...
  8. Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?: I came across an old thread on here and elsewhere on the internet that discussed System Restore usage on an SSD. I am aware that Defragging shouldn't be done on SSD's as it will wear the SSD out a lot faster. I also know that Windows 10 is set up by default to Optimise the...
  9. Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?: I came across an old thread on here and elsewhere on the internet that discussed System Restore usage on an SSD. I am aware that Defragging shouldn't be done on SSD's as it will wear the SSD out a lot faster. I also know that Windows 10 is set up by default to Optimise the...
  10. For SSD - Do you disable System Restore and Hibernate?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    For SSD - Do you disable System Restore and Hibernate?: Hi. I've come across some articles that suggests to disable System Restore if you want better SSD performance. The articles are dated to 2013. True that if one disables System Restore, then an alternate backup software is needed. Yet, I'm wondering if this is something...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system restore and ssd

2. system restore on ssd optimise

3. systemrestore and ssd drives