Windows 10: System restore did not complete message (It actually did)

Discus and support System restore did not complete message (It actually did) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, I just did a system restore and once my PC rebooted I got the message that it hadn't completed successfully (Second image) I opened the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by murphyslaw, Jun 26, 2017.

1. System restore did not complete message (It actually did)

Hi all,

I just did a system restore and once my PC rebooted I got the message that it hadn't completed successfully (Second image)

I opened the system restore panel to check and see that it actually did complete (First image)

So I'm not sure what to do now?

Reading through some threads here I see it's recommended to disable anti-virus before restoring (I have Trend Micro Maximum Security) and I can try that. However, I now have a working PC (I accidentally deleted a registry key) so should I just leave it alone?

Thanks for any input!

:)

murphyslaw, Jun 26, 2017
  2. Time Lady Win User

System Restore did not complete successfully

Sometimes anti virus software will interfere with system restore, try restoring from within safe mode.

Time Lady, Jun 26, 2017
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Jun 26, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

System restore did not complete message (It actually did)

Hi, not heard of that before... so it sounds like the registry at least has been restored. If you know the restore point was very recent and no change had been made in the period from that restore point being created, your risk is very low.

However there are constant background updates going on from universal apps (4 hourly check last I looked) to Windows updates and installed programs etc, so there is some risk.

Unfortunately System Restore gets upset easily; it cannot be relied on. When it works, great. But there has been at least one time when MS changes have given rise to problems for months for a good number. (Error 80070091).

Best have an alternative strategy- granted, it's not the same as it's slower, not triggered in the same way, and reverts data as well... but it's more robust and complete. Disk imaging.. e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage.

Some people like programs like Rollback RX - but that I have a feeling that may cause problems when upgrades come along.

dalchina, Jun 26, 2017
  5. Yes, it was a recent restore so I guess I'll leave it alone for now.
    I do have alternative backups if needed, Acronis True Image - Full C Drive on a monthly, weekly and thrice weekly schedule to different drives and a NAS, might seem like overkill but the alternative doesn't bear thinking about!

murphyslaw, Jun 26, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    ...afflicts 1607...
    TBH, system restore is pretty slow itself. it spends so long on the 'preparing to restore...' screen I wonder if it's ever going to start. IME restoring an image is only marginally slower.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System restore did not complete message (It actually did)

1. System restore did not complete message (It actually did) - Similar Threads - System restore did

2. System Restore did not complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore did not complete: error message says it could not access a file. Error 0x80070005. What is that and how do i fix it. Hopefully an automatic fix by Windows 10 itself? Thank You...
  3. System Restore did not complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore did not complete: error message says it could not access a file. Error 0x80070005. What is that and how do i fix it. Hopefully an automatic fix by Windows 10 itself? Thank You...
  4. System Restore did not complete

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System Restore did not complete successfully

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore did not complete successfully: Alright to start off i have attempted to restore my windows 11 computer to an earlier point 3 times to fail each time. As to why doesnt matter. Here is what the pc tells me after each attempt.Anyways please help me, this is the second time ive opened up a question on this,...
  6. System restore did not complete successfully

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System restore did not complete successfully: My laptop Windows 10 is stuck in automatic repair cycle. Ive tried everything i could find. Bootrec.exe/fixboot did not work access denied. Tried a few fixes for that that did not work. Tried system restore to a couple of days ago 4/12 was the earliest date available. Got an...
  7. System Restore did not complete sucessfully

System Restore did not complete sucessfully: Networking suddenly quit on my HP Win 10 laptop. Worked fine then the next morning it didn't. Connects to the wi-fi, logs in ok, but tells me it cannot access the internet. My Win 7 machine still connects to the internet as does my Android phone so I suspect the LAN is ok....
  8. system restore did not complete successfully

system restore did not complete successfully: system restore did not complete successfully. your computer's system files and settings were not changed. "system restore could not access a file" there is already a thread with this problem dating back to win 7, but it is locked. i'm using the most recent update to win...
  9. System Restore did not complete successfully...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore did not complete successfully...: Getting the following error message when trying to do System Restore on a clean install of Windows 10 with the Creator's Update (Version 1803)... After running System Restore the system displays the following message at the desktop after logging in: System Restore could not...
  10. System Restore did not complete successfully.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore did not complete successfully.: To confirm that the Restore Points system was working I created a new restore point and used System Restore to "go back" to it. I got the message in the attachment. I then tried to go back to one about 5 days ago with the same result. In past years I have a couple of times...