Windows 10: System Restore did not complete successfully.

Discus and support System Restore did not complete successfully. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; To confirm that the Restore Points system was working I created a new restore point and used System Restore to "go back" to it. I got the message in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stevekir, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Stevekir Win User

System Restore did not complete successfully.

To confirm that the Restore Points system was working I created a new restore point and used System Restore to "go back" to it. I got the message in the attachment. I then tried to go back to one about 5 days ago with the same result. In past years I have a couple of times been saved by going back to an earlier restore point. A clean install of Windows 10 + Anniversary UG was done about 10 days ago and programs and settings returned as before (after the fitting of an SSD).
    EDIT: I have disabled Malwarebytes (by preventing it loading at startup) and Kaspersky Internet Security (by switching it off).

What can I do please to get system restore working?
    System Restore did not complete successfully. [​IMG]

:)

Stevekir, Aug 19, 2016
  2. Time Lady Win User

System Restore did not complete successfully

Sometimes anti virus software will interfere with system restore, try restoring from within safe mode.

Time Lady, Aug 19, 2016
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Aug 19, 2016
  4. Bastet Win User

Does Kaspersky have a self protection module? Norton does & unless I disable that system restore fails - disabling AV protection isn't enough. If Kaspersky does then that's preventing restore from working.

Bastet, Aug 19, 2016
  5. Hi:

Yes, KIS does have a self-protection feature.
    (Dashboard > Settings > Additional > Self-Defense.)
    That may or may not be directly contributing to your System Restore failure (we don't have enough information to know for sure).

Having said that, it has long been the recommendation of KL (and other security software vendors) to UNINSTALL (not just disable) their product before attempting to roll back the system with Windows System Restore. At the very least, the roll-back can break the program's metadata. At worst, it can cause other corruption to break the program.

So, again, I lack the expertise to determine why your roll-back failed.
    I will defer to others more expert in these matters to help with that.

But I respectfully suggest fully uninstalling KIS (keeping only activation data or nothing at all) and perhaps running MBAM Clean removal tool, as well, and then rebooting the computer (very important) as a "best practice" before trying System Restore.
    NOTE: Even if you decide to keep your KIS activation data during the uninstall, I would be sure to have my activation code for KIS and my MBAM Premium license data on hand BEFORE uninstalling.
    I would then grab fresh copies of the KIS and MBAM installers directly from the publisher's download web sites and reinstall. Let us know if you need help finding those.

MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 19, 2016
  6. Stevekir Win User
    I have discovered how to disable KIS's Self-Defense. Its disablement window says: "By enabling Self-Defense you block all attempts to modify KIS files, memory processes and system records." So that seems clear enough. I have now downloaded MBAM's Clean removal tool.

I therefore plan to:

1. Disable KIS (I have found out how to do that);
    2. Uninstall it using Windows Uninstall Control Panel;
    3. Use MBAM's Clean removal Tool;
    4. Restart the comp.;
    5. Make another test Restore Point and attempt to restore to it;
    6. If it is successful, good. I would need to go through all this every time I wanted to go back to an earlier Restore Point. A nuisance, but I have only ever actually needed to do that once in the 18 months I have been on Windows. (Or perhaps ditch KIS for another less-tropublesome alternative.)
    7. If that's not successful, then, as MoxieMomma says, "grab fresh copies of the KIS and MBAM installers directly from the publisher's download web sites and reinstall", and go back to my step 4.

I plan to do this tomorrow. Two questions please:

a) Does this seem sensible; and:
    b) Windows Defender is turned off by KIS. Should I check that it is enabled at step 4 (I guess Windows will do that automatically now that KIS is gone).

MoxieMomma: You said: "At the very least, the roll-back can break the program's ([KIS's] metadata. At worst, it can cause other corruption to break the program." I had a clean install of Windows 10 10 days ago and re-installed KIS, and MBAM. That went OK. Hopefully, they will again.

Many thanks to you both for your help.

EDIT: Perhaps I should delete my step 2, to let MBAM grab it?

Stevekir, Aug 19, 2016
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    @Stevekir This method will avoid any possibility an AV is running.

You may be able to restore from that Restore Point by following this procedure. It involves booting from your installation media and choosing an existing Restore Point for recovery. Here is an excerpt from the procedure and a link to the full article.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restore from a system restore point by selecting Advanced options > System Restore. This will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems. Restoring from a restore point won’t affect your personal files.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...covery-options

Go to the link above and look for this section, about 1 page in....

Make sure your installation media is the same type, 32bit or 64bit, and the same version, Home or Pro, and same language.

TC

f14tomcat, Aug 19, 2016
  8. Stevekir Win User

f14tomcat.

The only installation media I have results from a recent re-installation of Windows 10 following the fitting of an SSD which was downloaded by my computer shop via MS's Media Creation Tool which he saved to a DVD which I have. But your approach takes me into territory which I am not competent to deal with if something goes wrong and my comp. screws up. The approach in my post #5 seems more harmless so I might go for that. Alternatively, I could put the whole problem to my computer shop and ask him to fix it, after considering this thread.

Thanks for the help.

Stevekir, Aug 20, 2016
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    You do what is most comfortable for you. Best wishes, and we'll be here if needed. TC

f14tomcat, Aug 20, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    @Stevekir
    You might want to try:
    • Click on Start button (1). Hold down SHIFT KEY+Click On Power (2) then click on Restart(3)

• The PC will reboot and get into the Recovery Environment
    • Click on Trouble Shoot->Advanced Options->System Restore.

topgundcp, Aug 20, 2016
  11. Stevekir Win User
    [Images deleted in this reply to save space].
    Well, this looks interesting. Another way to get to a restore point. I will try this, but fear that I will get the same result: "System Restore did not restore successfully."

Thanks.

Stevekir, Aug 20, 2016
  12. Just a side note ... I am running Windows 10 Pro with Norton Security Suite from Comcast. I have not encountered any problems with system restore or restoring a system image.

TexasBandit, Aug 20, 2016
  13. Stevekir Win User

Me again. SUCCESS! I used Windows 10's Uninstall routine to get rid of Kaspersky. (It took some time.) followed by an automatic restart. Then I checked that Windows Defender and Windows Firewall were on (the first switched on automatically after having been switched off by Kaspersky, the second had always been on). I created a Restore Point ("Test") and then created a new Word file in a folder on the desktop as confirmation. Finally I opened "Restore system files and settings " (in a Control Panel) and chose "Choose a different restore point" followed by choosing my recent restore point.

The comp. went off to do that and after an automatic restart I got the message saying that the restore had been done successfully. Whew! The new word file and its folder had disappeared from the desktop, which confirmed the restore.

Huge thanks to everyone. I would not have guessed that KIS was the culprit, especially because it did not give trouble before the Anniversary Upgrade. MS should give a list of such changes. The beta testing would certainly have flagged the KIS problem to the Insiders. Should I tell MS? Nah! Tin ears.

My system is now protected by Windows Firewall and Defender, and Malwarebytes (paid version). I have searched independent sites and all say that the first two are good nowadays and the domestic user, like me, can rely on them alone. Anyone disagree? (Malwarebytes gives extra.)
    EDIT: The new Word file is still there. Perhaps going back to before it was created only affects computer setting. Correct? Anyway, the restore worked successfully (it said).

Stevekir, Aug 20, 2016
  14. Bastet Win User
    I think the Comcast version is a slimmed down version of the full Norton program so may not have self protection.
    It could also be that Win 10 system restore is different to previous Windows versions so disabling self protection is no longer required.

Bastet, Aug 20, 2016
  15. My personal opinion:

I would not necessarily ditch the robust protection of Kaspersky for the unlikely, future, theoretical need to perform a system restore. The other 99.9999% of the time you use the computer, it offers what many would say is more robust security than WD.

The fact that KIS prevented the system restore with its system protection feature enabled suggests that..... well..... it does a good job protecting the system (and itself).

EDIT:
    AFAIK the inability to perform Windows System Restore with KIS enabled is not a "bug" in the strict sense. It has long been the case with many strong security programs -- not just KIS -- that their deep integration into the OS may interfere with System Restore and/or cause problems with the program when a roll-back has been performed with the program installed. FWIW, KIS 2016 MR1 with patch (e) and KIS 2017 MR0 are both fully compatible with Win10 1607.

The one step I don't think you tried would have been to disable KIS AND to disable the KIS self-defense feature (doing so involves merely un-ticking a check-box in the settings) before trying the restore??
    If that had been successful, then you might have been able to perform the restore without fully uninstalling KIS.

AV and other security choices/strategies are highly personal, based on many factors.
    There is no one "best" or "right" approach that suits all users and computers.
    If you are happy with WD + MBAM, then that is certainly fine.

My own personal choice is that I prefer the protection afforded by KIS over that of WD for my daily computer use. In the unlikely event that a system restore might someday be needed, I am comfortable with knowing that I might need to uninstall KIS (or at least fully disable it and its self-defense) before doing so.
    (I also run MBAM Premium and MBAE Premium for resident protection.)

>>In any event, I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue.

Just my 2 cents and worth less,*Smile
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 20, 2016
Thema:

1. System Restore did not complete successfully. - Similar Threads - System Restore did

2. system restore did not complete successfully.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system restore did not complete successfully.: Yesterday while I was trying to do the instructions an independent advisor I tried to do a system restore from my one recovery or restore point it sayed '' system restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed Details :...
  3. system restore did not complete successfully.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system restore did not complete successfully.: Yesterday while I was trying to do the instructions an independent advisor I tried to do a system restore from my one recovery or restore point it sayed '' system restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed Details :...
  4. system restore did not complete successfully.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System Restore did not complete successfully

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore did not complete successfully: Alright to start off i have attempted to restore my windows 11 computer to an earlier point 3 times to fail each time. As to why doesnt matter. Here is what the pc tells me after each attempt.Anyways please help me, this is the second time ive opened up a question on this,...
  6. System Restore did not complete successfully

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore did not complete successfully: Alright to start off i have attempted to restore my windows 11 computer to an earlier point 3 times to fail each time. As to why doesnt matter. Here is what the pc tells me after each attempt.Anyways please help me, this is the second time ive opened up a question on this,...
  7. System restore did not complete successfully

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System restore did not complete successfully: My laptop Windows 10 is stuck in automatic repair cycle. Ive tried everything i could find. Bootrec.exe/fixboot did not work access denied. Tried a few fixes for that that did not work. Tried system restore to a couple of days ago 4/12 was the earliest date available. Got an...
  8. system restore did not complete successfully

system restore did not complete successfully: system restore did not complete successfully. your computer's system files and settings were not changed. "system restore could not access a file" there is already a thread with this problem dating back to win 7, but it is locked. i'm using the most recent update to win...
  9. System restore did not complete successfully error 0x80070005

System restore did not complete successfully error 0x80070005: I am using windows 10 Pro Ver 1803 OS build 17134.112 Yesterday I tried to use System Restore to revert to a previous restore point. The process failed delivering this message: System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were...
  10. System Restore did not complete successfully...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore did not complete successfully...: Getting the following error message when trying to do System Restore on a clean install of Windows 10 with the Creator's Update (Version 1803)... After running System Restore the system displays the following message at the desktop after logging in: System Restore could not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kaspersky screws up system restore