Windows 10: "System Restore failed to extract the file (...\OneDrive) from the restore point."

Discus and support "System Restore failed to extract the file (...\OneDrive) from the restore point." in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Since updating to Windows 1803, system protection does not work. Restore will not restore from the restore point created during the update. Nor will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jaygourley, Jul 12, 2018.

1. "System Restore failed to extract the file (...\OneDrive) from the restore point."

Since updating to Windows 1803, system protection does not work. Restore will not restore from the restore point created during the update. Nor will it restore from any new restore point I create. I get the message:

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:

System Restore failed to extract the file (<the path on my system>\OneDrive) from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during the System Resotre. (0x8007018b)"

This is the same result if I attempt to restore to the point that the Windows 1803 upgrade occurred. And if I attempt to restore to a point I created immediately after the upgrade. And if I attempt to restore to a point created immediately before I attempt to restore to it. In other words. It is not possible for me to create a restore point and restore to it.

On the rare occasions when I attempted a restore in the past, it worked okay.

I'll try to create a restore point on another computer to see what happens and add to this question shortly.

:)

jaygourley, Jul 12, 2018
  2. loucille Win User

System Restore - System restore failed to extract the file ...... (0x8007005) error

I am trying to do a system restore to an earlier date. The restore failed because of an (0x8007005) error. The restore cannot extract an .exe file which is an old game once installed on my computer. The game has been uninstalled and will no longer install
    because of some problem with the .exe file. I have also attempted to remove all residual files for the game from my computer, but it has not helped.

I installed the game on a laptop and copied the files from the laptop to the computer, but the .exe file will not copy because of a "permission" it requires. I went back to the laptop and changed the permissions but it did not help.

The more current restore points I have have the software that is causing my problems, so those would not help. I also have no earlier restore points than the one I attempting to restore.

Through some internet research, I have gone into "services" and made sure Volume Shadow Copy, Task Scheduler and Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider Service are all set to automatic and are running.

The information also said to be sure that System Restore Service is set to automatic, however, that service was not listed in my services.

Is there any way to get System Restore to ignore the game file and not try to extract it so the restore can complete.

I am attempting the restore again in safe mode, but I have little confidence I will get a different outcome.

Any help would be appreciated!

loucille, Jul 12, 2018
  3. Clark Ari Win User
    System Restore - System restore failed to extract the file ...... (0x8007005) error

Hi Loucille,

One of the possible reasons why the error code 0x8007005 occurs when performing system restore is due to corrupted system files that caused software conflicts. Since you have tried several steps to resolve the issue, we recommend that you
    perform a System Restore in safe mode. To boot your device in
    safe mode kindly click on this link. This will start Windows in a basic state, using a limited
    set of files and drivers.

Once done, we suggest that you perform a system restore after booting in safe mode. System Restore will be able to revert your PC or laptop to their previous state, which can be used to repair and recover system malfunctions or issues. Restoring won’t affect
    your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

If in case that the issue persists, we suggest that you run the System File Checker tool. This will be able
    to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore it. We also suggest that you run the DISM command to repair the Windows image on your system. Follow the steps provided
    on this link for the complete guide on how to use
    the tool.

Please post back with the result.

Clark Ari, Jul 12, 2018
  4. Rudolfos0 Win User

"System Restore failed to extract the file (...\OneDrive) from the restore point."

Can't do System Restore (failed to extract the file, 0x80070301)

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system and settings were not changed.

Details:

System restore failed to extract the file (C:\Windows\Installer) from the restore point.

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x8007301)

Things I have tried:

• Uninstalled antivirus completely, disabled windows firewall
    • ran sfc /scannow - no errors found
    • couldn't access windows restore from safe mode..
    • different restore points
    • restarting VSS service ( it's set on automatic)
    I have used tweaking.com reset file permissions few months ago, and windows somehow thinks I'm using built in administrator account, so I can't launch any store apps and settings.. Could that be the problem ?

I also added all possible permissions to Windows/Installer folder..

Rudolfos0, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

"System Restore failed to extract the file (...\OneDrive) from the restore point."

1. "System Restore failed to extract the file (...\OneDrive) from the restore point." - Similar Threads - System Restore failed

2. System Restore failed to extract the file C:\$Extend\$Deleted from the restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore failed to extract the file C:\$Extend\$Deleted from the restore point.: System Restore failed to extract the file C:\$Extend\$Deleted from the restore point.An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. 0x80070005im getting these errors when trying to go back to a restore point, what do i do?...
  3. System Restore failed to extract the file C:\$Extend\$Deleted from the restore point.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore failed to extract the file C:\$Extend\$Deleted from the restore point.: System Restore failed to extract the file C:\$Extend\$Deleted from the restore point.An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. 0x80070005im getting these errors when trying to go back to a restore point, what do i do?...
  4. System restore restore point

System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  5. "System restore failed to extract the file "

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "System restore failed to extract the file ": Hello, I am end up in Blue screen and when I try to restore this is error I am getting "system restore failed to extract the file C:\Program filesx86\Microsoft office\root\office16\INKCOMMENT.DLL from the restore point" Any help is much appreciated....
  6. "System restore failed to extract the file "

"System restore failed to extract the file ": Hello, I am end up in Blue screen and when I try to restore this is error I am getting "system restore failed to extract the file C:\Program filesx86\Microsoft office\root\office16\INKCOMMENT.DLL from the restore point" Any help is much appreciated....
  7. "System restore failed to extract the file "

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. System Restore point failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore point failed: I tried doing system restore point, In the process I got stuck so I did force shutdown, later laptop turned on, but I can't install any software and not even able to open Microsoft office. I tried sfc /scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth also but there...
  9. System Restore from Restore Point is stuck

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore from Restore Point is stuck: Started a system restore from system restore point this morning at 7:30 am. It is now 11:45 am and it is still running. I have done system restore from restore point in the past and it only took 20~30 minutes. What to do now?...
  10. Extract Restore Point from a System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Extract Restore Point from a System Image Backup: Hi, I'm on Win 10 Pro. I recently made a system image backup to a NETWORK drive using the powershell command admin start backup -backuptarget:\\pc\a\tsb-image-file -include:C: -exclude:c:\users\3\box*,c:\users\3\onedrive,c:\users\3\music -allCritical -vsscopy...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore point windows 10 0x8007018b

2. system restore 0x8007018b

3. i cant set a restore point because it fails to back up one drive

4. system restore fails because of onedrive,
  5. system restore cant extract the file,
  6. system restore failed to extract the file onedrive,
  7. system restore failed to extract file,
  8. 0x8007018b system restore failed,
  9. system restore failed to extract onedrive,
  10. system restore ignoring one drive,
  11. system restore onedrive,