Windows 10: System restore failed while scanning the file system, error 0x81000204

Discus and support System restore failed while scanning the file system, error 0x81000204 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I am trying to restore my system due to an issue caused by Firefox. after windows update my Firefox is not working properly, logout button in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by gaanalola, Dec 20, 2016.

1. gaanalola Win User

System restore failed while scanning the file system, error 0x81000204

Hi,

I am trying to restore my system due to an issue caused by Firefox. after windows update my Firefox is not working properly, logout button in gmail is not working. so i tried to restore system. However, it prompting an error message as " System restore failed while scanning the file system on drive ".

i performed both chkdsk and sfc scannow but no issues found.

please resolve this problem.

I am attaching all info which can helps

System restore failed while scanning the file system, error 0x81000204 [​IMG]

ARUNACHALA-Wed_12_21_2016_151538_86.zip

:)

gaanalola, Dec 20, 2016

2. System restore error 0x81000204 in windows 10

Hi,

There are numerous causes of the error to pop-up which may be corrupt windows update components previous updates that failed and caused corruption with all the system files. To resolve the issue, you may follow a solution provided by Deepika Gowda from this
    link:
    System Restore error 0x81000204

Update us with the result.

Jenicel Dri, Dec 20, 2016
  3. tobnd Win User
    INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

I have Windows 10 on two networked desktop HP computers. One day I noticed one computer could no longer access its external hard drives. And then it failed to boot, showing the blue screen with error code: Inaccessible Boot Device. I disconnected the external
    drives and tried a System Restore and was finally able to boot it up again. Within 2 days, the same computer and the other computer both showed the same symptoms. I went through the loops of re-starts, trouble-shoots, diagnostics, repairs, etc. I failed each
    time. System Restore also failed while scanning the file system on drive C, with an unspecified error (0x81000204). Any suggestions for this non-IT computer user, other than taking both to the local Geek Squads?

tobnd, Dec 20, 2016
  4. System restore failed while scanning the file system, error 0x81000204

You could have system corruption issues. Try the steps below and see if it helps ...

This may help:

Download the ISO image for the version of Windows you currently have. You can find information on this here:

Download Windows 10

Note: Mount the ISO download on your system by a right click on the file and selecting "Mount". Make note of the id of the mounted drive. The version of the ISO and the version on your system must match. You can check your running version by entering the command winver from an admin command prompt. To check the ISO version of the ISO download, run from an admin command prompt:

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:X:\sources\install.wim /index:1

Where X is the drive you mounted for the ISO. If the versions match, then run this command from the admin command prompt:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:X:\sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
    where X is the mounted volume for the ISO image.

Hope this resolves your issues.

TexasBandit, Dec 20, 2016
  5. gaanalola Win User
    Hello,

thank you TexasBandit for heads up.

i tried to fix this problem using DISM tool, process completed 100% successfully with out any errors and and any interruption.

then i tried to restore system, unfortunately the same error i am getting as i shown in previous post.

i am attaching DISM log file and the error i got now.
    thank you.

gaanalola, Dec 21, 2016
  6. It sounds like you need to re-image your system if you have an system image copy. If you do not, then try to repair windows by going to settings and select recovery. This is a little more drastic than using DISM, but it seems to be the best option at this point.

TexasBandit, Dec 21, 2016
  7. The other option is to turn off system restore. That will delete all your restore points (can't use them anyway). Restart system restore. Take a restore point and see if you can restore your system using that restore point. If the restore runs correctly, it may be your previous restore points have become corrupted for whatever reason.

Restore points build on the previous one. If one is corrupted, then restore will not work. I hope this helps you.

TexasBandit, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System restore failed while scanning the file system, error 0x81000204

1. System restore failed while scanning the file system, error 0x81000204 - Similar Threads - System restore failed

2. System restore failed while deleting following file issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore failed while deleting following file issue: For reasons i have been trying to recover my pc from a time earlier this day. After trying it 2 times i have gotten this message. I cant upload a photo for some reasonAn unspesified error occurred during system restore. 0x80071ac5Please help me...
  3. System restore failed while deleting following file issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore failed while deleting following file issue: For reasons i have been trying to recover my pc from a time earlier this day. After trying it 2 times i have gotten this message. I cant upload a photo for some reasonAn unspesified error occurred during system restore. 0x80071ac5Please help me...
  4. Error while system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error while system restore: I'm on Windows 11 and getting an error while trying to do system restore..please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-while-system-restore/4d1ab8d7-9be0-42c1-8109-302b5e5d0bb8
  5. Error while system restore

Error while system restore: I'm on Windows 11 and getting an error while trying to do system restore..please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-while-system-restore/4d1ab8d7-9be0-42c1-8109-302b5e5d0bb8
  6. "System restore failed to extract the file "

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "System restore failed to extract the file ": Hello, I am end up in Blue screen and when I try to restore this is error I am getting "system restore failed to extract the file C:\Program filesx86\Microsoft office\root\office16\INKCOMMENT.DLL from the restore point" Any help is much appreciated....
  7. "System restore failed to extract the file "

"System restore failed to extract the file ": Hello, I am end up in Blue screen and when I try to restore this is error I am getting "system restore failed to extract the file C:\Program filesx86\Microsoft office\root\office16\INKCOMMENT.DLL from the restore point" Any help is much appreciated....
  8. "System restore failed to extract the file "

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Fix System Restore error 0x81000204 on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix System Restore error 0x81000204 on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If when you try to perform System Restore on your Windows 10 device and […] This article Fix System Restore error 0x81000204 on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. Error Performing System Restore 0x81000204

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error Performing System Restore 0x81000204: I recently wanted to perform a system restore to set my computer back to before select changes were made to it. However, upon trying to restore the pc it kept coming up with the above error no matter what date I tried. Trying to run a system restore in safe mode did not help....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system restore error 0x81000204

2. error code 0x81000204 when trying to update windows 10