Windows 10: System Restore Fails Every Time

Discus and support System Restore Fails Every Time in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi Guys, Here is a weird one. On Win 10 Pro, 1803, Build 17134.48. Every system restore fails on my machine, with the error as in attachment. [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by lafargeotte, May 15, 2018.

1. System Restore Fails Every Time

Hi Guys,

Here is a weird one. On Win 10 Pro, 1803, Build 17134.48.

Every system restore fails on my machine, with the error as in attachment.
    System Restore Fails Every Time [​IMG]

If I try booting from Windows 10 setup USB boot and select Repair, then go to System Restore, I get this message:
    To use System Restore you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart Computer, select operating system, then select System Restore.
    The weird thing is I only have the one OS, so that makes no sense!

I fortunately image the system regularly, so not a major problem. However I would like to find out what is going on.

Any ideas?

Update: Cannot access 'WindowsApps' folder - see attachment.
    System Restore Fails Every Time [​IMG]

Could this be the problem, and if so, how to I get access?

Update: Got access to WindowsApps folder. However no change, still get the original error message.

:)

lafargeotte, May 15, 2018

2. System Restore fails every time

It appeared that, when the newest version of Malwarebytes was run on my neighbor's laptop, it quarantined his login information. The laptop did not recognize his password at all. The desktop looked different I went into safe mode and used the restore
    point prior to the running of Malwarebytes. The report came back that the restore failed due to some unspecified errors. However, when I restarted his machine, he was able to login just as he had always done.

I ran system restore on one of my neighbor's laptops from a point prior to its starting to run slow. The report came back that the restore failed due to some unspecified error. I don't know if it succeeded or not since I then decided to run Online DSIM
    Restore Health. She seems to be happy with the way her laptop is running now.

In my initial question above, you'll see why I ran system restore on my machine. The report came back the restore failed due to not being able to extract the Office 2015 file. I don't even know how the Office 2015 folder got on my laptop since I don't
    subscribe to office 15. I have Office 2013 and am very happy with it.

Hmmm, that system restore was turned off by some update might explain why my restore points after upgrading to Windows 10 and after upgrading to the Anniversary edition disappeared.

Kathleen_K, May 15, 2018
  3. System Restore fails every time

Last week, my neighbors were having slowness issues on their laptops. We tried restoring to earlier points before the slowness issues. Restore failed on both their laptops.

This week, I have had a Google Earth and Edge conflict. Edge and Google Earth hang when I move between the two. I tried running Google Earth in compatibility mode. That didn't resolve the issue. I tried a restore point from about two weeks ago, prior to
    the problem appearing, and system restore failed on me due to not being able to extract an Office 2015 file. I had seen an Office 2015 folder in programs on my laptop but wondered about it since I don't subscribe to Office 2015; I have Office
    2013 on my laptop. Why would failure to extract an Office 2015 folder cause my restore to fail?

Furthermore, I had given my restore points more than 6 gigs disk space; however, I had only two restore points to choose from; Four even earlier points had disappeared. What?

Thank you for any advice.

Kathleen_K, May 15, 2018
Thema:

System Restore Fails Every Time

1. System Restore Fails Every Time - Similar Threads - System Restore Fails

2. System failed to do system restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System failed to do system restore: I made some changes to registry settings without enough knowledge but before that I ensure that I made a restore point in my system after restart I dont like the changes I made and im afraid it will cause further issues so I want to perform system restore in my computer...
  3. System Restore Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Failed: In the morning i performed a windowsblootware command it created a system restore after that i wanted to go in the previous state i tried alot but it shows system restore didn't complete successfully and any of system restore isnt working i dont want to reboot the pc as it...
  4. System Restore Failed

System Restore Failed: In the morning i performed a windowsblootware command it created a system restore after that i wanted to go in the previous state i tried alot but it shows system restore didn't complete successfully and any of system restore isnt working i dont want to reboot the pc as it...
  5. System Restore Failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. The restore system fails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The restore system fails.: When I try to restore my system to a preview, the system starts the restore process, when I login again to finish the restore process, I get this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-restore-system-fails/dd5edb02-bdfc-480c-b89d-dd5d81495d1e
  7. The restore system fails.

The restore system fails.: When I try to restore my system to a preview, the system starts the restore process, when I login again to finish the restore process, I get this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-restore-system-fails/dd5edb02-bdfc-480c-b89d-dd5d81495d1e
  8. The restore system fails.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. System restore failed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System restore failed: Hey friends I do not know if this is the appropriate forum, if not let me know I am trying to do system restore but without success When the restore is complete, the message appears: System recovery failed to replace the file Then the file name appears:...
  10. System restore failing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System restore failing: Im running the latest version of Windows 10 and whenever I try to do a system restore I get this error: “System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and Settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed to extract the original copy of...