Windows 10: System Restore in Safe Mode

Discus and support System Restore in Safe Mode in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, Okay, this is the first time I ran System Restore and not sure if it worked or not. I had an incompatibility issue with the system and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by neomatter, Aug 14, 2015.

1. neomatter Win User

System Restore in Safe Mode

Hi all,

Okay, this is the first time I ran System Restore and not sure if it worked or not. I had an incompatibility issue with the system and figured I'll revert back to a previous configuration that worked.

Using the regular method always gave an error and saying files/settings have not changed. Okay, so I decided to boot into safe mode to see if I can run system restore from there. Problem is I had to use the Classic Control Panel via Windows 7 restore. It rebooted and gave the green boot screen with the restore being performed.

The problem I have is I don't know if the restore was successful or not. I am assuming it's successful as during the restore it went through its paces and finalized. If there was an error, I'm sure I would have seen something in lines of it being unsuccessful and reversing the changes it was doing (like Windows Update failures).

Am I correct in this line of thinking? The fact that it finalized and not showing any messages of system being unchanged means the restore was a success?

TIA.

:)

neomatter, Aug 14, 2015

2. can't access system restore in safe mode with windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

We have reproduced the issue here and we are getting the same error. In safe mode we cannot access Update and Security.
    I suggest you to post your feedback on this using Windows feedback app. So, that developers will try to fix it in future Windows 10 Builds to enhance user experience.

1. Go to Start , enter the phrase
    Windows Feedback, then select Windows Feedback.

2. See if someone else has given similar feedback by entering the topic, such as Microsoft Music.

3. If you find similar feedback, select it, add any details, and then select
    Me too.

4. To narrow your search to a specific category, pick the category that most closely matches your feedback (so it gets to the right people quickly). For example, for feedback about the Music app, select Apps
    > Music.

5. If you don’t find any similar feedback, select
    New feedback, and choose a topic from Select a category and then Select a subcategory.

6. Enter your feedback (the more details the better!), add a screenshot if you can, and you're done.

However, you can go to the Windows recovery environment by following the below steps and can perform system restore from here.

• Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key
      down while you select Power
      System Restore in Safe Mode [​IMG]
      >
      Restart.

• After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options >System Restore.
    Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Aug 14, 2015
  3. can't access system restore in safe mode with windows 10

I had the same problem. I solved it as follows:

When the black screen shows up "I was able to see my mouse curser moving", follows these steps:

1. Press F8 button five times.

Nothing happened, then

2. Press "SHIFT" button 5 times.

Nothing happened or if only Stick key screen shows up, then

3. Unplug the power cable without turning off the system.

4. Plug in the power cable and check if it has been solved.

If it is still black screen is showing up.

5. Repeat 3 & 4 until you reach your goal.

Wish you good luck

Mohammad

MohammadBukhari, Aug 14, 2015
  4. System Restore in Safe Mode

You should get a completed box either way if it was successful or not. I did two restores on Win 10 Pro this past week, and each one was successful, and the box after rebooting said: ''System restore completed successfully to 8/15/2015 9:15 AM. No personal files were changed." I'd imaging the failure would be similar. The best way to check if it work that I can think of is reopen the System Restore settings where you can do one, and it will say you can undo it if it's not working right. I don't have a shot of the completed, but here is what you see if it worked through the tool.

Bobby Phoenix, Aug 16, 2015
  5. neomatter Win User
    Actually no. The failure dialogue box would happen before the reboot. According to MS, if the failure occurred at the end process before the reboot, it is assumed it had failed despite the message after reboot saying it ran successfully.

That was what I was getting. An error message before the reboot followed by a successful message after.Their solution was to use system restore in safe mode. However, after running it in safe mode, I did not receive a warning of failure. Neither did I have a message saying it was successful.

The safe mode route actually boots into Windows update mode with green screen and circling circles and dialogue under it. It completed and gave no error message. No dialogue box either when booted into Windows.

So I'm puzzled as to whether if it was succesful or not.

neomatter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System Restore in Safe Mode

1. System Restore in Safe Mode - Similar Threads - System Restore Safe

2. BSOD: Critical system error after a system restore. Safe mode nonfunctional. 0x80070002...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD: Critical system error after a system restore. Safe mode nonfunctional. 0x80070002...: Hello,I have an decade old and ailing gaming computer that is suffering from a Critical Process Died error after I had performed a system restore to reset the drivers for a Wacom drawing tablet that had stopped being detected as a monitor. The computer was working until it...
  3. BSOD: Critical system error after a system restore. Safe mode nonfunctional. 0x80070002...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD: Critical system error after a system restore. Safe mode nonfunctional. 0x80070002...: Hello,I have an decade old and ailing gaming computer that is suffering from a Critical Process Died error after I had performed a system restore to reset the drivers for a Wacom drawing tablet that had stopped being detected as a monitor. The computer was working until it...
  4. BSOD, cannot enter Safe Mode, System Restore, nothing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD, cannot enter Safe Mode, System Restore, nothing.: Hello, I lack the knowledge of computers and hope I receive some help. I had a pc built for my younger sister and it was fine until she received the BSOD. There were cycles of resetting that led to no improvements regardless of whether I chose to enter Safe Mode, clearing...
  5. Is it safe to system restore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to system restore?: I was messing around with a couple newly installed programs (Malewarebytes and VirtualBox) and I noticed my File Explorer was acting strangely. Simple tasks such as renaming folders on my desktop took a couple seconds to finalize, and deleting empty folders even opened a...
  6. Windows 10 System Restore Failed and Safe Mode Unavailable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 System Restore Failed and Safe Mode Unavailable: Yesterday I could never get past my Windows login screen. I would enter my pin and it would freeze, so I did shift restart and uninstalled the latest quality update. That did no fix the problem, so I tried to uninstall the latest feature update but that always failed. Then...
  7. Factory restore in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Factory restore in safe mode: Unknowingly I did a factory restore in safe mode. And now I am unable to sign in to my computer or get anything to come up as far as Windows 10 goes. I just get an error message informing me it can’t finish install in safe mode. My command prompt comes up as X:Windows/system...
  8. Can't remember Account password to run System Restore in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't remember Account password to run System Restore in Safe Mode: As per the description in the subject line, I can't find a way to recover the account password for my system to enable system restore to run in safe mode. I have a laptop/pc running the latest version of Windows 10. So far, I've tried all my passwords which don't work, incl:...
  9. Windows 10 System restore with not work even in Safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 System restore with not work even in Safe mode: Windows 10 System restore with not work even in Safe mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-system-restore-with-not-work-even-in/4dd00f2d-c54f-4152-bf55-ad00cc01278f
  10. Automatic repair loop, no safe mode, no system restore

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatic repair loop, no safe mode, no system restore: I'm not sure if this is the right section for this thread, if not I apologize. A couple of nights ago my computer was in the process of going to sleep and it decided instead it wanted to crash. I restarted it the next morning and was greeted by the screen telling me that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system restore safe mode