Windows 10: System Restore in Windows 10

Discus and support System Restore in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; When I try to fix a problem with system restore in Windows10 I am told there is no restore point created. This is absurd. Since you can't predict when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by 1g2th3, Oct 16, 2017.

1. 1g2th3 Win User

System Restore in Windows 10

When I try to fix a problem with system restore in Windows10 I am told there is no restore point created. This is absurd. Since you can't predict when you might need to use it you would have to create a restore point every day!
    Windows used to automatically create a restore point for you. This a serious problem that I am surprised was not addressed long ago.*Sad

:)

1g2th3, Oct 16, 2017

2. System Restore in Windows 10

rel setpc

RichardKiddle, Oct 16, 2017
  3. System Restore in Windows 10

I am finding the same issue. I manually created a restore point in the last half of Sept. 2016 but when I go to try to restore my computer to that date, it is not there. There are only three restore points that show up and they were all automatically generated.

The space was factory set to 5GB for restores, this computer is just barely over a month old and I have not added any software or apps. I am not a techie so I don't know if that is sufficient or not so I have increased the space to 40GB for restores. Doe
    this OS require more than that?

The only thing it has received are updates from Windows for the OS and Firewall. So far I am not a fan of this OS.

PoohBear_781, Oct 16, 2017
  4. System Restore in Windows 10

I have had system restore shut off for years and use backup image (currently Macrium). Years ago I thought that if something got corrupted that my system restore would fix it, but the few times I needed it, never worked correctly.

stealth2920, Oct 16, 2017
  5. 1g2th3 Win User
    Thanks for the reply, "stealth" That is totally discouraging. Why haven't they done something about this if this has been such an ongoing problem? It is baffling.

1g2th3, Oct 16, 2017
  6. Most have found out that the system restore might only restore the windows system files that get corrupted but is useless for a backup. An image backup will back up your entire drive and only takes minutes to restore from the last backup. Mine backs up every 3 days but some users have theirs auto backed up every day.

stealth2920, Oct 16, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    You do not need to create one every day unless you wish to.

I have given up with them and use the paid version of Macrium Reflect. With its rapid delta restore, you can wind back pc in less than five minutes.

cereberus, Oct 16, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

1. As said, System Restore can be useful when restoring actually works properly- it may not.
    2. System Restore is off by default in Win 10, and is turned off again on any upgrade type procedure (in-place repair or build upgrade) - when naturally all restore points are deleted.
    3. You can setup your own schedule. (Above). I've had one running for a long time using an older script.
    4. You need to be aware of what S Restore protects and what it doesn't. (Can/will revert drivers, windows updates, program installations, registry changes e.g.) This is not well defined anywhere I know.

dalchina, Oct 19, 2017
  9. LMiller7 Win User
    System restore can be useful but a properly designed image backup solution is much better. System restore made a number of compromises in the interests of minimizing the disk space consumed and they limit it's usefulness. But they were necessary, without them the disk space requirements would be such that most people would disable it and it would be of no use at all.

I maintain regular backups with Macrium and because I can afford the disk space keep System Restore enabled. I have used it a few times but do not rely on it.

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Restore in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - System Restore

2. Does a system restore get rid of a Trojan that I just installed on my windows 11 pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does a system restore get rid of a Trojan that I just installed on my windows 11 pc: So i just installed a Trojan and I immediately went to system restore and restored it and I was wondering if the file could still be on my pc....
  3. Does a system restore get rid of a Trojan that I just installed on my windows 11 pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does a system restore get rid of a Trojan that I just installed on my windows 11 pc: So i just installed a Trojan and I immediately went to system restore and restored it and I was wondering if the file could still be on my pc....
  4. BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore: When I was last updating my drivers. More specifically I updated my audio driver and my USB driver. Before downloading, i created an restore point to that moment. After that I downloaded these drivers.After a day, I noticed that, after these drivers installations, my PC...
  5. BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore: When I was last updating my drivers. More specifically I updated my audio driver and my USB driver. Before downloading, i created an restore point to that moment. After that I downloaded these drivers.After a day, I noticed that, after these drivers installations, my PC...
  6. BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore

7. I just can't get my pc to do an older date to System restore. It only lets me restore to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just can't get my pc to do an older date to System restore. It only lets me restore to...: I can't get to a System Restore point beyond today. I'm not able to print files or get my best fakebook profiles for my business. I accidentally pressed an unwanted Facebook profile so now I'm stuck. I have tried several recommendations to get this resolved with no results....
  8. I just can't get my pc to do an older date to System restore. It only lets me restore to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I just can't get my pc to do an older date to System restore. It only lets me restore to...: I can't get to a System Restore point beyond today. I'm not able to print files or get my best fakebook profiles for my business. I accidentally pressed an unwanted Facebook profile so now I'm stuck. I have tried several recommendations to get this resolved with no results....
  9. I just can't get my pc to do an older date to System restore. It only lets me restore to...

10. Downloads merged with D:/; "Restore Default" fails due to "Access Denied" for "D:\System...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads merged with D:/; "Restore Default" fails due to "Access Denied" for "D:\System...: These are the screenshots so you can get more of an Idea of what I'm saying https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloads-merged-with-d-restore-default-fails-due/26aeb604-de99-4ce2-80ec-fd6c05bebc50