Windows 10: System Restore is not functioning

Discus and support System Restore is not functioning in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I do system image backups with MRF. In addition I also save my data personally from my computer onto my external hard drive, onto another computer I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Nikilet, Sep 8, 2016.

1. System Restore is not functioning

I do system image backups with MRF. In addition I also save my data personally from my computer onto my external hard drive, onto another computer I have as well as onto a USB flash drive.
    That way if a system image recovery fails or my computer should crash, I still have my data available.

On Macrium Reflect, I’m sure we can help you get back on track with it.
    Let us know when you get a new external hard drive.

EDIT: I agree with using another computer to get your data of the IOMEGA external hard drive using another computer as mentioned in post# 10.
    --- If your data is there, it’s possible to do so
    --- Unfortunately if your data is dependent on prior backups that have been deleted that won’t be good news

MeAndMyComputer, Sep 11, 2016

2. "Thing is, that has been running now for well over an hour, probably closer to 2 hours and it's still on 11%."
    Although it was only a one-time incident, I saw one that took about 22 hours. on an XP computer.

3. Nikilet Win User
    I've already ordered a new Seagate drive. But how can I copy anything if the computer won't recognize the old external and therefore won't allow any access to it? I've been Googling, went into Safe Mode and tried several things and nothing worked.

When I tried to use a command prompt chkdsk /f on the external it took forever and then finally stated it could not perform this on a RAW drive. So I'm being given two errors on this drive; one that it is RAW and the other that the parameter is incorrect. Another mixed message is that when I go into Device Manager and click on it/properties, it says this device is working properly. When I have it hooked to my computer, I can't even get a restart to work. I have to force a shutdown and then boot back up.

P.S. I just talked with a computer tech and he said he would look at it for nothing, but if he starts putting time into trying to get the data the cost would be anywhere from $60 up to $150 and then he wouldn't guarantee being able to retrieve the data. He also said the unplug it right away because the more it's run the less the chances are. And, of course, I have run it and monkeyed with it quite a bit. Is there any free program that I might try on it? Please give me your thoughts.

Nikilet, Sep 11, 2016
  4. System Restore is not functioning

I can't tell whether or not this could apply to you but if you run into a last resort it probably won't hurt to try
    How to Convert/Change RAW File System to NTFS without Data Loss
    http://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-f...em-to-ntfs.htm
    The RAW drive can be caused by a number of reasons such as virus infection, format failure, accidentally shut down operating system, power outages, etc.
    When you access the RAW drive, you will get an error message like "The disk in drive is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"
    If you click "No", the drive cannot be accessed.
    If you click "Yes", we will lose all of the files stored on this drive.

5. Nikilet Win User
    Thank you very much. I will check into this. I see that this program is quite expensive at $70. They have a trial and I don't know what that will do, but I will check in out and see if I want to go further.

P.S. I contacted EaseUs and they have kindly gotten back to me and asked me for a bunch of information. I answered their email so will wait for what they say. I have been running EaseUs Data Reovery Trial version for at least 6 hours now and nothing has shown up yet, but maybe it will take longer than that. Thanks for directing me to EaseUs. When I get to the point of reinstalling Macrium I hope you will allow me to ask you some questions. I floundering around with it and I sure would like some help from someone who knows what they are doing. You can't even get into their forum for help, which I think is kind of foolish and unfortunate.

Nikilet, Sep 12, 2016
  6. Nikilet Win User
    To make a long story very short, I gave up on trying to get anything off my old drive. I have my new Seagate drive now. On Macrium, under Default Definition Rules Settings, should I select the option Purge before backup?

Nikilet, Sep 14, 2016
  7. I do not have Purge before backup selected; however, I keep that in mind in case I want to do so someday.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System Restore is not functioning

1. System Restore is not functioning - Similar Threads - System Restore functioning

2. Why is the functionality to create restore points for system security not a feature in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the functionality to create restore points for system security not a feature in the...: I need to create system restore points like this:Why isn't this function integrated into the main settings app of Windows 11?It is a very important feature to maintain the stability of your Windows 11 installation....
  3. Why is the functionality to create restore points for system security not a feature in the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is the functionality to create restore points for system security not a feature in the...: I need to create system restore points like this:Why isn't this function integrated into the main settings app of Windows 11?It is a very important feature to maintain the stability of your Windows 11 installation....
  4. restore Ctrl + arrow function

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restore Ctrl + arrow function: Hello,My toddler reached up and mashed the keyboard for a few minutes before I stopped him. Now, I can no longer use the Ctrl + arrow keys to jump words left or right in any app. Ctrl + Shift + arrow keys work as expected, however. I found an old thread from 2019 that...
  5. System Restore Not Functioning Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore Not Functioning Windows 10: Hi. This is my first post here, so please forgive me if I make any etiquette errors. A week or so ago I lost 2 of the 4 drives in my RAID array, due to a problem in the household electricity supply. It was only during the rebuilding process that I realised just how...
  6. Slow restore function

Slow restore function: I started a restore function 5 hours ago. I'm still getting the wheels spinning saying System Restore is "restoring the registry" Can I stop this or speed it up ? & How?...
  7. How DO I repair System Restore's functioning

How DO I repair System Restore's functioning: I have run System Restore to remove some browsers and games I installed to test them and my graphics processor. System restore advised me with an error message that none of my files were restored. I will paste the message so you will see the error's cause. Please guide me in...
  8. Restore Windows Function Keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore Windows Function Keys: I am very unhappy that Alt+F4 doesn't close the active program or that Ctrl+Home doesn't take me to the top of the document. F4 should repeat the last edit, F9 offer to update a TOC, etc. Is there a way that a non-expert can make those Windows and Word keys work the way they...
  9. Macrium reflect system restore function?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium reflect system restore function?: Hi I was wondering does macrium reflect have a system restore like function? I'm asking since I think I remember someone saying it had a similar function without having to backup a full image? 111698
  10. Macrium reflect system restore like function?

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium reflect system restore like function?: Hi I was wondering does macrium reflect have a system restore like function? I'm asking since I think I remember someone saying it had a similar function without having to backup a full image? 111698