Windows 10: System Restore not making restore point before updates.

Discus and support System Restore not making restore point before updates. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; So why did Microsoft change this? If I remember correctly all previous versions would create a system restore point before doing Microsoft updates.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Bobby Phoenix, Aug 15, 2015.

1. System Restore not making restore point before updates.

So why did Microsoft change this? If I remember correctly all previous versions would create a system restore point before doing Microsoft updates. Since 10 installed all updates that come in for me are downloaded and installed without a restore point. I had one last night that after the computer restarted something messed up. My display drivers were not recognized, and my resolution/disply was like a 1990s computer. I couldn't update again, nor fix it. I had to do a restore from one I created days ago. It worked, so I did some cleanup, and I was able to update again without issue, and now everything is OK, but dang, why no restore point made automatically before changing the system Microsoft? Now I know if I see an update coming I'm doing one before it installs.

On a side note I read many threads (and I'm included) when 10s upgrade completed System Restore was off by default even though it was on in 7. I had to turn it on again. Luckily I know some about it, but what about people who don't? They're pretty much screwed if an update messes up their machine(s), and have no restore point to go back to.

:)

Bobby Phoenix, Aug 15, 2015

2. auto restore point

Hi Bryan,

System Restore automatically creates a restore point before the following events:

• Application installation (provided the application utilizes an installer that is System Restore compliant). If the application install causes system problems, the user can restore the system to a state before the installation of the application.
    • AutoUpdate installation. AutoUpdate provides an easy way for users to download critical Windows updates. After the update is downloaded, the user can install the update on the system. If the user chooses to install the update, System Restore creates a restore
      point before the installation of the update begins.
    • System restore. For example, if a user accidentally chooses the wrong restore point, the user can undo the restore operation by choosing a restore point before the system restore took place. The user can then choose the correct restore point.

Hope the information helps.

Ronald San, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Uninstalling an update for Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Make sure you create a few system restore points before updating.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 15, 2015
  4. System Restore not making restore point before updates.

I couldn't find any info on why, but does anyone know if there is a way to make it do a restore point before updates? The best thing I came up with is to notify me when an update needs to restart my computer, and then I'll do a restore point first, and then let it reboot.

Bobby Phoenix, Aug 16, 2015
  5. hiphopper Win User
Thema:

System Restore not making restore point before updates.

1. System Restore not making restore point before updates. - Similar Threads - System Restore making

2. Restoring stuck System Restore Point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring stuck System Restore Point: I had made a restore point for windows 11 but making a pc customisation but the customisation was not good. So, I tried to restore it from that restore point that i created earlier. But It's almost 2 hours and the process is still not completed. What to do???...
  3. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  4. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  5. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. System Restore does not make Restore points anymore and deletes Restore points I make...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore does not make Restore points anymore and deletes Restore points I make...: My system Restore folder is empty and "eats" any new Restore points I make and save within a day. A search shows it has been an ongoing problem for Windows Users. Anything new to fix it? I have the latest version of Windows 10 and very good Norton Antivirus running....
  7. *UPDATE ON SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS*

*UPDATE ON SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS*: A little bit of backstory: I downloaded a safe program bundled with a bunch of PuPs. Blind me didn't see the custom install feature. Anyways, because all the PuPs slowed down my PC by 25%, I wanted to make sure they were ALL GONE, so I preformed a system restore to a point...
  8. Restore System using restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore System using restore point: Hello, Had to use a recent restore point. Started the restore, made a list what will be affected, and it started. After waiting about 25 minutes I got an error notice that restore was not succesful because of anti virus (?). The only antivirus on my system is windows...
  9. System Restore is on But No Restore Points

System Restore is on But No Restore Points: I've had System Restore on for drive c: for the last 3 days. I want in there today ad there are no restore points/ Is this by default?!? James...
  10. View system restore points before deleting

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    View system restore points before deleting: Is there any way or software (GUI no cmd) to view system restore points name, time, details before deleting? 112292