Windows 10: System Restore - Recommended size?

Discus and support System Restore - Recommended size? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Just wondering what's the minimum and recommended size for system restore to work well? Thanks! 26906 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Almighty1, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Almighty1 Win User

System Restore - Recommended size?

Just wondering what's the minimum and recommended size for system restore to work well? Thanks!

:)

Almighty1, Oct 18, 2015

2. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 as time passes I find Windows 10 very intrusive to my personal files music and pictures with the new 10 update it seems it will become more intrusive.

When I upgraded to 10 I had to sign in as a new user with a different password from Win 7. I lost my Win 7 password. Widows 10 has moved all my music files and picture files. My back up is stored off site and system restore back to a previous time I assume
    is using my old 7 password and my user/computer name for security thus disallowing access to those files. How do I find my old password while using Windows 10 because I would like to go back to Win 7. I am not a gamer and it seems Win 10 and the anniversary
    update are targeted toward multiple computer gamer use. I do have a system repair disc from Win 7.

John M system restore, Oct 18, 2015
  3. update broke my computer

When you recommend using System Restore for correcting minor issues would it not be sensible to include a caution about the secondary problems using System Restore can cause?

Gerry C J Cornell, Oct 18, 2015
  4. System Restore - Recommended size?

Regularly created restore point has about 600MB, the other depend on the changes, like what was the size of windows updates being installed (like up to 2GB). I have mine set to 4GB, to able to restore the last change.

TairikuOkami, Oct 18, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 18, 2015
  6. Almighty1 Win User
    Thanks for the responses, how much space does each restore point actually take at the most?

Almighty1, Oct 19, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    About what TairikuOkami posted above.

Brink, Oct 19, 2015
  8. Almighty1 Win User

Does one generally need more restore points if one updates things and reboot only when it calls for a reboot?

Almighty1, Oct 19, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's really up to you for how many restore points you would like to have on hand to be safe.

I'd say to at least keep 5 on hand if you have the available space. In addition, always create a new restore point before doing anything that may cause issues to be safe.

Brink, Oct 19, 2015
  10. Almighty1 Win User
    Good points, does the restore point have to be on the same drive or can it be on other drives as well since it seems like ASUS shipped with the C: drive for the OS mainly...

Almighty1, Oct 19, 2015
  11. Geneo Win User
    System restore just plain doesn't work well. You'd be better off making regular backups with Macrium Reflect or similar software.

Restore points are on the same drive - it uses volume shadow copies. This cannot be changed,

Geneo, Oct 19, 2015
  12. Almighty1 Win User
    There goes that thought since my other drives have 0 data on them so thought I could do it there instead.

Almighty1, Oct 19, 2015
  13. Molyy Win User

with Macrium reflect or easeus to do backup free or other third-party backup tools, you can save the images on any partition or better on external hard drive. and set to automatically delete old images to save space.

Molyy, Oct 19, 2015
  14. Almighty1 Win User
    Can it clone a drive while Windows is running as I basically have two identical hard drives and figured to periodically clone the drives so should one fail or other problems, I can just swap the drives and boot from it.

Almighty1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Restore - Recommended size? - Similar Threads - System Restore Recommended

2. restore recommended!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restore recommended!: restore recommended! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-recommended/3407c569-b161-4d03-bdb9-eb16339e104a
  3. restore recommended!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restore recommended!: restore recommended! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-recommended/3407c569-b161-4d03-bdb9-eb16339e104a
  4. restore recommended!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System Restore Point Is Small In Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Point Is Small In Size: I bought a laptop with no OS. I put Windows 11 Home on it. I don't have much on the laptop - steam, 1 game and 3 documents. I created a restore point because everything worked great and then a bit later made some changes. I wanted to delete the previous restore point and...
  6. System Restore Point Is Small In Size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore Point Is Small In Size: I bought a laptop with no OS. I put Windows 11 Home on it. I don't have much on the laptop - steam, 1 game and 3 documents. I created a restore point because everything worked great and then a bit later made some changes. I wanted to delete the previous restore point and...
  7. what is a reasonable size for system restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    what is a reasonable size for system restore?: This a generic question; so, the only relevant specs are: Windows 10 Pro x64 w/ 128GB SSD Windows Home x64 w/ 256GB SSD I am accustomed to much larger C drives where System Restore size is not relevant. If I did my research properly, an individual restore point requires...
  8. System Restore Recommendations

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Restore Recommendations: Last night I just noticed that unlike previous versions of Windows, the Windows 10 OS does not have System Restore active by default. My desktop PC has two hard drives. The 128 SSD runs the OS and a 2TB HDD stores my documents and games. 1) As a not very computer literate...
  9. Recommended disk space size for System Restore Points (of Win10 partn?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recommended disk space size for System Restore Points (of Win10 partn?: Whats the recommended size for Restore Points for an Win10 system partition when I want to store e.g. 8 restore points? Where can I defined where (in which partition) these restore points should be stored? Or are they always on the same partition as the original? Are old...
  10. Recommended Size of EFI Partition V1709

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recommended Size of EFI Partition V1709: I recently built a machine and have noticed that my EFI partition size is 100MB. I clean installed with V1703 and subsequently upgrade to V1709 Reading the threads (some in forum and some on web) there seems to be a lot of noise that the EFI partition should be 500+ MB....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system restore recommended size

2. recommended size for system restore

3. recommended system restore size