Windows 10: system restore, then reset (keeping fies) fails

Discus and support system restore, then reset (keeping fies) fails in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; i had a problem that started immediately after cumulative update KB4015317., which. is an un-unistallable update. tried a system restore to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by circe801, Apr 16, 2017.

1. circe801 Win User

system restore, then reset (keeping fies) fails

i had a problem that started immediately after cumulative update KB4015317., which.
    is an un-unistallable update.
    tried a system restore to a previous date.
    failed. tried all other restore points. all failed.
    tried reset saving files.
    that failed several times.
    booted into windows. now that i found a possible fix for the restore error, tried to do it again, but all restore points are gone.
    how to proceed?? original probem still exists.
    thanks.

:)

circe801, Apr 16, 2017
  2. DylonDiaz Win User

Missing operating system after system restore,

Hi so today my WI-Fi went missing and said I had to connect to Ethernet and this point I usually restart my Laptop which I did. But instead of my laptop turning on like it always does it said their was a problem, so I tried it a few more times. I tried
    to do a restore point twice and they both failed. So I went to system restore and tried to keep my files. And that did not work so I went to system reset and clicked they one that said keep the files that came with PC but remove salesperson. And after 30min
    of resetting it fails and says to restart PC so I do. And now I get a black screen that says Operating system missing remove any drive with out an operating system and Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart(not a quote). Please help me my computer is everything to me and
    has never had any viruses.

DylonDiaz, Apr 16, 2017
  3. DylonDiaz Win User
    Operating system missing after system restore.

Hi so today my WI-Fi went missing and said I had to connect to Ethernet and this point I usually restart my Laptop which I did. But instead of my laptop turning on like it always does it said their was a problem, so I tried it a few more times. I tried
    to do a restore point twice and they both failed. So I went to system restore and tried to keep my files. And that did not work so I went to system reset and clicked they one that said keep the files that came with PC but remove salesperson. And after 30min
    of resetting it fails and says to restart PC so I do. And now I get a black screen that says Operating system missing remove any drive with out an operating system and Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart(not a quote). Please help me my computer is everything to me and
    has never had any viruses.

DylonDiaz, Apr 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Could you state the problem please?

I can't find a reference to KB4015317

Please can you post a screenshot of your Update history?

There is a long thread about System Restore with a fix for the common error 80070091 on this forum, which you may have seen, if that's your error.

Opinion and experience here is that system restore is useful when it works, but cannot be relied on to do so when needed. So we strongly and repeatedly recommend the much more complete and robust approach of disk imaging (Macrium reflect (free) e.g.).

Assuming you don't have disk images, you could try an in-place upgrade repair. Given that the reset didn't work, there may be something more amiss.

Please follow these steps. At least perform steps 1 & 2 as appropriate.

1. Check your disk.
    Download and run Hard disk Sentinel (trial).
    If that reports your disk as ok, continue. Else post back with a screenshot of the result.

2. Check your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

Now check the state of your problem, just to be sure it still exists.
    If not, finish here.

3. Perform an In-place upgrade repair install
    If you are now confident you wish to return to the base build of your current Window version (and so eliminate all other updates), proceed.

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

You should also make sure there's at least 500Mb of unallocated space on your system disk.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain a Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a Win 10 bootable medium.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - However: if you have installed some on a 2nd drive, these must be uninstalled or reinstalled on C: - else you will get an error message that you can not keep your apps because they are in an unsupported directory.

"You can't keep Windows settings, personal files and apps because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory"

- no personal data should be affected
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Apr 16, 2017
  5. circe801 Win User

circe801, Apr 17, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Yes. I just commented in passing. Not in any expectation that it would now help you as the rest of my response should have made quite clear.

And just to be sure- the iso/bootable medium used for the in-place upgrade must match what you have installed.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. system restore, then reset (keeping fies) fails - Similar Threads - system restore reset

2. System failed to do system restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System failed to do system restore: I made some changes to registry settings without enough knowledge but before that I ensure that I made a restore point in my system after restart I dont like the changes I made and im afraid it will cause further issues so I want to perform system restore in my computer...
  3. System Restore Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Failed: In the morning i performed a windowsblootware command it created a system restore after that i wanted to go in the previous state i tried alot but it shows system restore didn't complete successfully and any of system restore isnt working i dont want to reboot the pc as it...
  4. System Restore Failed

System Restore Failed: In the morning i performed a windowsblootware command it created a system restore after that i wanted to go in the previous state i tried alot but it shows system restore didn't complete successfully and any of system restore isnt working i dont want to reboot the pc as it...
  5. System Restore Failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. The restore system fails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The restore system fails.: When I try to restore my system to a preview, the system starts the restore process, when I login again to finish the restore process, I get this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-restore-system-fails/dd5edb02-bdfc-480c-b89d-dd5d81495d1e
  7. The restore system fails.

The restore system fails.: When I try to restore my system to a preview, the system starts the restore process, when I login again to finish the restore process, I get this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-restore-system-fails/dd5edb02-bdfc-480c-b89d-dd5d81495d1e
  8. The restore system fails.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. System restore failed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System restore failed: Hey friends I do not know if this is the appropriate forum, if not let me know I am trying to do system restore but without success When the restore is complete, the message appears: System recovery failed to replace the file Then the file name appears:...
  10. System restore failing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System restore failing: Im running the latest version of Windows 10 and whenever I try to do a system restore I get this error: “System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and Settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed to extract the original copy of...