Windows 10: System Restore will not do a restore to previous created Point

Discus and support System Restore will not do a restore to previous created Point in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am running windows 10 PRO (64Bit) Version 1709 installed about October2017 I have a MBR Partition 1 TB HD Everytime I try to use System Restore (... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by john32068, Jan 25, 2018.

1. john32068 Win User

System Restore will not do a restore to previous created Point

I am running windows 10 PRO (64Bit) Version 1709 installed about October2017
    I have a MBR Partition 1 TB HD
    Everytime I try to use System Restore ( For any type of reason)
    Most of which is just to see if it works, Does not, and it has not worked since I went from version Windows 10 pro 1703 to version 1709. It did work fine in version 1703 but will not work in version1709, I get ‘’’’error perform System Restore and getting an error code: 0x80070005.’’’ I also tried all system restore Points, I also ran check disk
    The only antivirus, I am using is windows defender which is Microsoft
    No Malware protection installed, I did a reimage on my hard drive and Have the same problem. (When I create a restore point it gives me a message that the restore point was successfully created)
    Also only one user account which is the administratator and no windows logon password<the computer is shut down when not in use.

What and where can I start to look at which maybe causing the problem
    I have no problem running and installing Windows 10 updates

:)

john32068, Jan 25, 2018

2. weather buddy

Have you tried performing a system restore?

Save any open files and close all open programs.

In Windows, search for restore, and then open Create a restore point from the results list.

Figure : Creating a restore point

Creating a restore point

System Properties opens with the System Protection tab selected.

On the System Protection tab, click System Restore.

Figure : Selecting System Restore on the System Protection tab

Selecting System Restore on the System Protection tab

The System Restore window opens.

Click Next.

Figure : System Restore window

The System Restore window, with Next circled in red

Click the Restore Point that you want to use, then click Next.

The confirmation window opens.

Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.

Figure : Confirm your restore point

The Confirm your restore point System Properties window, with Finish selected

Do not interrupt System Restore when it starts. This can corrupt your hard drive and create more problems. Click Yes in the warning that appears.

Figure : Do not interrupt warning

The warning that appears before beginning a System Restore

System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 25, 2018
  3. 64 bit windows can't run 64 bit programs

I never managed to get it working, I ended up just backing up my data doing a system restore to a previous version:

Type system restore in search bar, create a restore point, system restore, choose a different restore point, and restore from the last automatic system restore point.

ThunderDino, Jan 25, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

EdTittel, Jan 25, 2018
  5. "System restore failed while replacing the files on Drive C:\. The drive might be corrupt. You might want to retry system restore after running chkdsk /R on this disk."
    Why the possibility that the drive might be corrupt is being reported I do not know. Even though you ran chkdsk /R it might be a good idea to run the hard disk diagnostic from the manufacturer for your hard drive for an actual verification that the HDD is ok.
    --- When you ran chkdsk /R were you given a notification whether or not it was needed?
    Usually when I see a request like that I go to Tools > Error Checking. If it isn't needed, there is a notification that it isn't needed.

System Restore will not do a restore  to previous created Point [​IMG]

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 26, 2018
  6. When I mentioned "Even though you ran chkdsk /R it might be a good idea to run the hard disk diagnostic from the manufacturer for your hard drive for an actual verification that the HDD is ok." it appears to me now it's unnecessary. When you ran it, the result didn't indicate any problems: and I'm pretty sure if you were to use the Tools > Error checking method you should get the "You don't need to scan this drive".

Since "System restore failed while replacing the files on Drive C:", run sfc /scannow and see if it reports any integrity issues and/or fixes what it finds directly after trying system restore and seeing it fail. Also ensure if the same failure message is reported since chkdsk /R didn't show any issues for you.

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 26, 2018
  7. mrgeek Win User
    "I get ‘’’’error perform System Restore and getting an error code: 0x80070005.’’’ I also tried all system restore Points"

I got the same error code this week trying to restore to point before I installed a program that I decided I didn't want vs uninstall. After trying 2 points, I simply turned off System Restore on C, turned back on a few minutes later, manually created an initial restore point and tested later that day. It has worked ever since. Easy to try if you're just testing and old points are not critical. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Jan 26, 2018
  8. EdTittel Win User

MrGeek is onto something important. If you don't need to access an existing restore point, your best bet is to do as he recommends, and to turn off and then turn System Restore back on. You do lose older restore points, but that offers the best way to ensure it's working properly going forward. FWIW, I use Macrium Reflect to make daily image backups as well as file backups so I won't be caught too short should something go way south.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 26, 2018
  9. john32068 Win User
    I can't try any thing else yet, I gave in and reformatted my disk over wrote it with one pass. New partition it reformatted Now I know their no files left on it. Got my OEM install disk and built it back up from scratch . No missing or corrupt files now
    Running like a bowl of Lucky Charms
    I keeping all these notes in case it returns All these windows feature Update version something always will break
    Thanks all You guy's and Girls

john32068, Jan 27, 2018
  10. That's excellent news. Thank you.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Restore will not do a restore to previous created Point - Similar Threads - System Restore restore

2. System restore points not being created

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore points not being created: I've recently had to check what system restore points were available on some of my PC's Windows 10 & 11I'm concerned that although I have system protection enabled on all the drives, only the latest system restore point is present; I dont want to allocate a LOT of space as my...
  3. Unable to create a system restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create a system restore point: I'm installing Windows 11 so trying to create a system restore point but for some reason it's greyed out. Unclear why. Other questions like this are years old....
  4. Can't Create System Restore Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Create System Restore Point: When I try to create a system restore point using System Properties, sometimes it just sits there forever "searching" for available drives, not allowing me to create one.Other times, it shows the drives but when I go to create one it starts and just continues eternally, never...
  5. Cannot creat a System Restore point

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot creat a System Restore point: When I try to create a System Restore Point, I get the following message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer's timeout expired between the Freeze and Thaw events 0x800423F2 Any ideas what I should do? Thanks Scott...
  6. System restore to the previous point

System restore to the previous point: I am planning to restore my laptop to a previous point.I have made some changes to the settings of third party applications like eclipse.But these settings are changed recently i.e after the date that which I want to restore to.Once I restore to that date,will the settings go...
  7. System Restore will not create a restore point

System Restore will not create a restore point: This has been a recurring problem on my HP Pavilion with Windows 10 64bit. I cannot create a System Restore point and System Protection will not turn on. It just keep searching for drives. The error code given is 0x81000203. I have also tried installing Macrium Reflect as a...
  8. Cannot create a system restore point

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot create a system restore point: When i was trying to create a system restore point, it failed and a message poped up saying, "the writer experienced a non-transient error. If tried again the error may reoccur". I've tried sfc command. It says some corrupt file found but cannot fix it... What are the causes...
  9. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  10. can not create/restore system point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    can not create/restore system point: Hi. can not create/restore system point. Please help, Thanks. 79135