Windows 10: System Restore won't restore

Discus and support System Restore won't restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a problem that is as insoluble (to me) as it is serious: System Restore seems broken. It exits with this less-than-helpful err msg: An unknown... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Kokopelli, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Kokopelli Win User

System Restore won't restore

I have a problem that is as insoluble (to me) as it is serious: System Restore seems broken. It exits with this less-than-helpful err msg: An unknown error occurred during system restore. (0x80070091).
    For completeness I took partial screen shots the whole way during my last attempt so it will be a loong post - I beg your indulgence.

System Restore won't restore [​IMG]

All seems well so far, then this:

System restore could not be performed. Files and settings have not been changed.
    Information:
    System restore was aborted when the folder was to be restored from the restore point.
    Source: AppxStaging
    Destination: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps
    An unknown error occurred during system restore. (0x80070091)You can attempt restoring from a different restore point. If this error occurs again you can try an advanced restore method.

I can hardly imagine a less helpful err msg. And what is meant by 'advanced restore method'? I am completely at sea here; any and all help is much appreciated!
    Thank you.

:)

Kokopelli, Nov 2, 2017
  2. Arun B J Win User

system restore won't restore

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to perform system restore by going to safe mode and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below.

• In login screen at the bottom right corner select
      restart
      the system by press and hold Shift key.

• Under choose an option select Troubleshooting.

• Select advanced option.

• Select System restore and check if it helps.
    And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Nov 2, 2017
  3. system restore won't restore

I have set up restore points, but after selecting one and clicking "next", the screen defaults to "end" without actuating the restore process. I have tried the operation in safe mode, with the same result. Is there a solution, or will I have to reinstall
    Windows 10 to overcome the problem.

JimBarronTQ., Nov 2, 2017
  4. System Restore won't restore

Rename the WindowsApps folder, reboot the system and try a system restore should cure the issue.

FreeBooter, Nov 2, 2017
  5. Kokopelli Win User
    Thank you FreeBooter. Sorry about being so dense but 1) Rename it to what? 2) Where is the folder situated?

Kokopelli, Nov 2, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
  7. Kokopelli Win User
    Kokopelli, Nov 2, 2017
  8. Kokopelli Win User

Right after I wrote this last post something happened here which made all my computer woes seem insignificant. I am still recovering from/dealing with this. Please excuse my 'dissapearing from the radar'.
    Thanks to FreeBooter and dalchina, I will leave the dicussion now.

Kokopelli, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Restore won't restore - Similar Threads - System Restore won't

2. system restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system restore: how do I set up a system restore date of 3/12/2019 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restore/07736cbc-1631-4dde-a5ce-2190d4879419
  3. Restore won't restore

Restore won't restore: I am having a problem in backup and restore. I go to the restore files ( I back up every day) and i click on chose a different date. I pick February 10 and ok. However which I click on the OK button nothing happens. It does take back to the restore files screen but the...
  4. System Restore

System Restore: How do I perform a system restore on Windows 10 laptop to the condition it was in on 1st June 2018? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restore/c4292b5c-a18f-48ef-8985-53119d1b747f
  5. System Restore

System Restore: I started a system restore Dec. 5 at 9:45 p.m. It has been almost 24 hours now and it is still going. I read somewhere that it should only take about 30 min. I don't think it is froze, it is only trying to restore 2 days of files....
  6. System Restore

System Restore: How do I access System Restore in Windows 10 on my Asus series F555L laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-restore/2edd88cd-f4d7-4b86-8d07-3fcc66967cbf
  7. System Restore

System Restore: Hello, I'm having a problem with my Windows 10, I'm trying to enable System Restore but can't find where and how. My refurbished PC came with win 7 and I upgraded to win 10 right away without using win 7. In the system sub-menu I don't even see the "System protection" on the...
  8. System Restore is on But No Restore Points

System Restore is on But No Restore Points: I've had System Restore on for drive c: for the last 3 days. I want in there today ad there are no restore points/ Is this by default?!? James...
  9. Trying a system restore and it won't complete

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying a system restore and it won't complete: I've tried a system restore twice now and it won't complete. It states that it's likely an antivirus stopping it. I only have windows defender (and free malwarebytes on demand which is not active). I disabled real time protection on Windows defender and cloud etc and still...
  10. System Restore Won't Stay Disabled

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore Won't Stay Disabled: I did a search but most of the threads were how to turn system restore on or off. I do Macrium backups frequently and absolutely do not need the system restore turned on. I turn it off and occasionally check back only to find it on again. Not sure what is activating it. I am...