Windows 10: System Restore won't restore

Discus and support System Restore won't restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a problem that is as insoluble (to me) as it is serious: System Restore seems broken. It exits with this less-than-helpful err msg: An unknown... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Kokopelli, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Kokopelli Win User

System Restore won't restore

I have a problem that is as insoluble (to me) as it is serious: System Restore seems broken. It exits with this less-than-helpful err msg: An unknown error occurred during system restore. (0x80070091).
    For completeness I took partial screen shots the whole way during my last attempt so it will be a loong post - I beg your indulgence.

System Restore won't restore [​IMG]

All seems well so far, then this:

System restore could not be performed. Files and settings have not been changed.
    Information:
    System restore was aborted when the folder was to be restored from the restore point.
    Source: AppxStaging
    Destination: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps
    An unknown error occurred during system restore. (0x80070091)You can attempt restoring from a different restore point. If this error occurs again you can try an advanced restore method.

I can hardly imagine a less helpful err msg. And what is meant by 'advanced restore method'? I am completely at sea here; any and all help is much appreciated!
    Thank you.

:)

Kokopelli, Nov 2, 2017
  2. Arun B J Win User

system restore won't restore

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to perform system restore by going to safe mode and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below.

• In login screen at the bottom right corner select
      restart
      the system by press and hold Shift key.

• Under choose an option select Troubleshooting.

• Select advanced option.

• Select System restore and check if it helps.
    And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Nov 2, 2017
  3. system restore won't restore

I have set up restore points, but after selecting one and clicking "next", the screen defaults to "end" without actuating the restore process. I have tried the operation in safe mode, with the same result. Is there a solution, or will I have to reinstall
    Windows 10 to overcome the problem.

JimBarronTQ., Nov 2, 2017
  4. System Restore won't restore

Rename the WindowsApps folder, reboot the system and try a system restore should cure the issue.

FreeBooter, Nov 2, 2017
  5. Kokopelli Win User
    Thank you FreeBooter. Sorry about being so dense but 1) Rename it to what? 2) Where is the folder situated?

Kokopelli, Nov 2, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
  7. Kokopelli Win User
    Kokopelli, Nov 2, 2017
  8. Kokopelli Win User

Right after I wrote this last post something happened here which made all my computer woes seem insignificant. I am still recovering from/dealing with this. Please excuse my 'dissapearing from the radar'.
    Thanks to FreeBooter and dalchina, I will leave the dicussion now.

Kokopelli, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Restore won't restore - Similar Threads - System Restore won't

2. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  3. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  4. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System Restore

System Restore: I updated my system from Windows7 to Windows 10 earlier this month. My printer did an update. After that my I could not scan to my printer. I wanted to do a system restore. Looked for it in the start you search bar. Didn't know in Windows 10 it was renamed Recovery. I...
  6. System Restore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore: I am using Windows 10 and I am having a problem with System Restore. I have tried it for quite a few times and the results are always they same. It runs through the whole procedure ( which takes a while ) and ends up telling me it was unable to restore. Is there a fix for...
  7. Restore won't restore

Restore won't restore: I am having a problem in backup and restore. I go to the restore files ( I back up every day) and i click on chose a different date. I pick February 10 and ok. However which I click on the OK button nothing happens. It does take back to the restore files screen but the...
  8. System Restore is on But No Restore Points

System Restore is on But No Restore Points: I've had System Restore on for drive c: for the last 3 days. I want in there today ad there are no restore points/ Is this by default?!? James...
  9. Trying a system restore and it won't complete

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying a system restore and it won't complete: I've tried a system restore twice now and it won't complete. It states that it's likely an antivirus stopping it. I only have windows defender (and free malwarebytes on demand which is not active). I disabled real time protection on Windows defender and cloud etc and still...
  10. System Restore Won't Stay Disabled

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore Won't Stay Disabled: I did a search but most of the threads were how to turn system restore on or off. I do Macrium backups frequently and absolutely do not need the system restore turned on. I turn it off and occasionally check back only to find it on again. Not sure what is activating it. I am...