Windows 10: System Restore Won't Stay Disabled

Discus and support System Restore Won't Stay Disabled in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I did a search but most of the threads were how to turn system restore on or off. I do Macrium backups frequently and absolutely do not need the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by stealth2920, Dec 14, 2015.

1. System Restore Won't Stay Disabled

I did a search but most of the threads were how to turn system restore on or off. I do Macrium backups frequently and absolutely do not need the system restore turned on. I turn it off and occasionally check back only to find it on again. Not sure what is activating it. I am going to start checking each time I boot the computer up in the mornings to see if it turns on every new boot. Just rebooted my computer and system protection isn't turned on. Wonder if updates or something is making default on or something.

:)

stealth2920, Dec 14, 2015
  2. JonCaz Win User

How to stop system restore from turning on? It won't stay disabled...

Yes, same here. It eventually ends up on again. I even deleted the points and how much space usage...
    System Restore Won't Stay Disabled [​IMG]

JonCaz, Dec 14, 2015
  3. How to stop system restore from turning on? It won't stay disabled...

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10. We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

Steps: How to Turn Off System Restore

Step 1

In the search box, type the name "Control Panel" and click on the Control Panel.

Step 2

In the Control Panel, click the drop-down menu arrow in the category tab and select the
    "Large Icons".

Step 3

In this step, click on "System".

Step 4

In this step, you will see a System Window. Here in this window in the left side, you see the
    "System Protection"; click on that.

Step 5

In this step, you will see the "System Properties" window; click on the System Protection tab. Then click on the Configure Button under the System Protection tab
    Step 7

In this step, click on the "Disable System Protection" check box. If you want to Disable it then you click on the check box and check if the issue persists.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Dec 14, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

System Restore Won't Stay Disabled

If that is the case you can set the amount system restore can use and set it at 0. I don't know which service it uses but if one were to disable it I doubt if it could get re-enable ... Maybe someone in this forum knows which service it uses and whether it's okay to disable it

sn00ker, Dec 14, 2015
  5. When it is turned off the amount is auto turned to zero bytes. When it magically is enabled it moves the selector back to the default amount. I think that I noticed this happening after some Win 10 updates. Not positive though. I have rebooted a few times but it is staying disabled so no clue what changes the setting.

stealth2920, Dec 14, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Think it is Volume Shadow Copy in Services.msc by default it is set to manual. Read about it there, but not sure if this is the only one or the result in disabling it altogether, effects on other services may depend upon it.

jds63, Dec 14, 2015
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Caution with that one...... someone (the OP #1) said they were using Macrium which depends on VSS to get and maintain it's snapshot.

f14tomcat, Dec 14, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 14, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    Yes i was saying it can have an effect on other things

jds63, Dec 14, 2015
  10. wags1 Win User
    I use Macrium as well and am having the same problem keeping system protection/restore turned off. Having been working on this issue for 2 weeks or so now. The suggestions on how to disable the menu that allows you to turn system protection/restore on or off do just that, they disable the menu ability to turn it on or off. They do not keep system protection/restore off once you turn it off using the menu. Also, while system protection/restore is dependent on VSS it is not the other way around. In other words, with system protection/restore turned off VSS runs and works just fine. I have had system protection/restore turned off now for several days and it has stayed off. I am carefully watching it to see if I can find out what is triggering it to turn back on. I am guessing it is a Windows update or a driver/program install that does it. It is very odd and I can't think of another instance where Windows provides a menu to disable or turn something off and then it gets turned on again without the user doing it or being aware. I don't really think it should work that way. It should either warn you that it is going to override a user setting or, if it is off and something needs to temporarily turn it on, it should then return it to its previous state.

wags1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Restore Won't Stay Disabled - Similar Threads - System Restore Won't

2. System volume won't stay off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System volume won't stay off: I keep muting the system sound notifications and the volume keeps going back to 100%. This is not happening on one computer, it is happening on 2 different computers, so I am guessing it is a Windows 11 issue. How to I keep the system volume at 0%,...
  3. System volume won't stay off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System volume won't stay off: I keep muting the system sound notifications and the volume keeps going back to 100%. This is not happening on one computer, it is happening on 2 different computers, so I am guessing it is a Windows 11 issue. How to I keep the system volume at 0%,...
  4. Windows Touchpad won't stay enabled or disabled

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Touchpad won't stay enabled or disabled: Issue is as the subject reads, I have to repeatedly disable and reenable or vice- my touchpad in my settings if I want it to stay on or off only to last a few minutes at best, and if my gestures stop working then I just have to reset my pc. I've already tried reinstalling and...
  5. Advanced Update setting won't stay disabled.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Advanced Update setting won't stay disabled.: The option circled in RED will allow me to turn it off, but then it turns itself, right back on again. [img] Is there a registry setting that will keep this turned OFF. Windows 10 Home 163624
  6. System restore disabled 2004

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore disabled 2004: After updating to 2004, system restore was disabled. 158986
  7. System restore disabled 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System restore disabled 2004: After updating to 2004, system restore was disabled. 158986
  8. System Restore is disabled and sfc /scannow won't repair it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore is disabled and sfc /scannow won't repair it.: Hello, Recently my computer crashed because while it was installing the May W10 update because I inadvertently turned off my computer during the install. When I restarted the computer it would not restart and I started a support case with MS: Service Request #:...
  9. Disable System Restore

Disable System Restore: Hi, I need to do the following tasks in the System Restore: 1. Set Max Usage = 0 2. Delete all restore points 3. Disable System Restore Should be using Command Line. 1st and 2nd step I've no any idea how to do. For 3rd step: net stop srservice sc config...
  10. System Restore won't restore

System Restore won't restore: I have a problem that is as insoluble (to me) as it is serious: System Restore seems broken. It exits with this less-than-helpful err msg: An unknown error occurred during system restore. (0x80070091). For completeness I took partial screen shots the whole way during my last...