Windows 10: system restore

Discus and support system restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I tried yesterday to restore my laptop to resolve a problem I had. I was saving some pictures and pressed the wrong key and erased some pictures. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Andrew Lavallee, Dec 6, 2015.

1. system restore

I tried yesterday to restore my laptop to resolve a problem I had. I was saving some pictures and pressed the wrong key and erased some pictures. When I had windows 8 I could just reset to a previous date. I tried to do the same with windows 10. But now when I opened my laptop other stuff is missing.

Help.
    Andrew

:)

Andrew Lavallee, Dec 6, 2015

2. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 as time passes I find Windows 10 very intrusive to my personal files music and pictures with the new 10 update it seems it will become more intrusive.

When I upgraded to 10 I had to sign in as a new user with a different password from Win 7. I lost my Win 7 password. Widows 10 has moved all my music files and picture files. My back up is stored off site and system restore back to a previous time I assume
    is using my old 7 password and my user/computer name for security thus disallowing access to those files. How do I find my old password while using Windows 10 because I would like to go back to Win 7. I am not a gamer and it seems Win 10 and the anniversary
    update are targeted toward multiple computer gamer use. I do have a system repair disc from Win 7.

John M system restore, Dec 6, 2015
  3. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 as time passes I find Windows 10 very intrusive to my personal files music and pictures with the new 10 update it seems it will become more intrusive.

Mohan B thank you for the information I will research the link. I surmise I was not signed in I just started with the question so I will create a new account. Thank You. John W

John M system restore, Dec 6, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

system restore

Hi Andrew, welcome to tenforums. Sorry to hear of your problem.
    First, system restore is disabled by default in Win 10. Odd, yes. Unexpected, yes. But there it is. Also, some have found it disabled again after the big November update.
    Second, system restore does not protect user data files. That's your responsibility, for which you need to make appropriate backup arrangements.

Disk imaging is strongly recommended as it provides both complete backup and a way to restore your PC from a non-functional state to how it was when you created the image. There are many backup programs too as I'm sure you're aware.

Assuming you have no backups of these, then:
    1. Check your recycle bin.
    2. If you cannot find what you want there, then probably you need to consider data recovery.
    Please note, this depends on the disk locations holding your files not having been used- overwritten.
    That probably means you need to use your PC as little as possible - depending on where your data was.

A program like Recuva might help.

If on the other hand the files have not been deleted but refiled, you could try e.g. locate32 to search for them.
    This builds an index of everyything, then lets you search almost instantaneously.

Good luck!

dalchina, Dec 9, 2015
Thema:

system restore

1. system restore - Similar Threads - system restore

2. How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?: I have taken a system image backup from my windows 11 laptop. Now I am trying to restore it but getting the prompt to create repair disc. How can I restore without creating the disc? Image has been attached for reference....
  3. How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?: I have taken a system image backup from my windows 11 laptop. Now I am trying to restore it but getting the prompt to create repair disc. How can I restore without creating the disc? Image has been attached for reference....
  4. How do I get internet access after system restore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get internet access after system restore?: Hello! Is someone available to help me troubleshoot? I did a system restore on my ACER, I have Windows 10, it shows the internet is connected but it will not allow me to connect.. tried resetting the Network too. No luck. I have McAfee security....
  5. How do I get internet access after system restore?

How do I get internet access after system restore?: Hello! Is someone available to help me troubleshoot? I did a system restore on my ACER, I have Windows 10, it shows the internet is connected but it will not allow me to connect.. tried resetting the Network too. No luck. I have McAfee security....
  6. How do I get internet access after system restore?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Does a system restore get rid of a Trojan that I just installed on my windows 11 pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does a system restore get rid of a Trojan that I just installed on my windows 11 pc: So i just installed a Trojan and I immediately went to system restore and restored it and I was wondering if the file could still be on my pc....
  8. Does a system restore get rid of a Trojan that I just installed on my windows 11 pc

Does a system restore get rid of a Trojan that I just installed on my windows 11 pc: So i just installed a Trojan and I immediately went to system restore and restored it and I was wondering if the file could still be on my pc....
  9. BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore: When I was last updating my drivers. More specifically I updated my audio driver and my USB driver. Before downloading, i created an restore point to that moment. After that I downloaded these drivers.After a day, I noticed that, after these drivers installations, my PC...
  10. BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore

BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore: When I was last updating my drivers. More specifically I updated my audio driver and my USB driver. Before downloading, i created an restore point to that moment. After that I downloaded these drivers.After a day, I noticed that, after these drivers installations, my PC...