Windows 10: System Restore

Discus and support System Restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Since the last update last week, there have been changes to my computer. Most of them I or you kind people have set straight. But now I notice that my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jersey Devil, May 4, 2016.

1. System Restore

Since the last update last week, there have been changes to my computer. Most of them I or you kind people have set straight. But now I notice that my system restore has been turned off . Nothing happens when I try to turn it back on. Is it because the new update reboots my computer in a different way ? The tutorial I watched is not relevant anymore. I rely on system restore when I want to remove unwanted changes to my system. Any help?

:)

Jersey Devil, May 4, 2016

2. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 as time passes I find Windows 10 very intrusive to my personal files music and pictures with the new 10 update it seems it will become more intrusive.

When I upgraded to 10 I had to sign in as a new user with a different password from Win 7. I lost my Win 7 password. Widows 10 has moved all my music files and picture files. My back up is stored off site and system restore back to a previous time I assume
    is using my old 7 password and my user/computer name for security thus disallowing access to those files. How do I find my old password while using Windows 10 because I would like to go back to Win 7. I am not a gamer and it seems Win 10 and the anniversary
    update are targeted toward multiple computer gamer use. I do have a system repair disc from Win 7.

John M system restore, May 4, 2016
  3. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 as time passes I find Windows 10 very intrusive to my personal files music and pictures with the new 10 update it seems it will become more intrusive.

Mohan B thank you for the information I will research the link. I surmise I was not signed in I just started with the question so I will create a new account. Thank You. John W

John M system restore, May 4, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

System Restore

The first thing to do is start making image backups to an external hard drive on a regular basis using a program like Macrium Reflect free or Pro. Don't rely on System Restore as your only safety net.

See if either of the suggestions in this thread help: Solved Can't enable System Restore - Windows 10 Forums

Ztruker, May 4, 2016
  5. You may need to reconfigure the drive %. Have you clicked on a drive to select it and then clicked on configure?
    I'm not sure what update you got last week but any major updates as in versions will sometimes shut off System Restore or it may just need to be reconfigured.

CADesertRat, May 4, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    ........... Nothing happens when I try to turn it back on..................

What method you used trying to System Restore back on ?

Did you click the Configure button > then dot the Turn on system protection > adjust disk space % for system restore > OK when done ?

System Restore [​IMG]

System Restore [​IMG]

davidhk, May 4, 2016
  7. Yes but nothing happens when I click "Turn on system protection"

8. davidhk Win User

System Restore

davidhk, May 4, 2016
  9. If you want to revert the machine and erase changes you might want to try Rollback Rx. There's a free version (think they call it Home Edition) and it's probably best for restoring the machine. Works a lot better than Windows System Restore at least. Disk imaging would also work, but there's the costs involved of the storage media and the overall speed.

HanginJang, May 4, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    I would also suggest that you do system image backup regularly.
    It helps me restoring the system many times when I had problems I could not solve.

Whether you use the built-in system image backup or a 3rd party program is entirely up to you. But it is a very useful "backup/restore'" practice.

P.S. It is important to get the built-in system protection back in action. Concentrate on that first.

davidhk, May 4, 2016
  11. aw come on I don't know how to do all that; Sign on as administrator, disable 3rd party security, USB drives.... I didn't even ask for this upgrade. I woke up one day and found out it was done while my computer was in sleep mode. I just wanna go back to my old version. Shoulda never upgraded to 10. Too many issues for a novice like me. And don't give me that crap "aw come on, you can do it" bullcrap I'm pissed At the end of my rope. Issue after issue after issue after........

12. davidhk Win User
    Here is a simplified instructions on doing Repair Install:

Use this Tech Bench link to download your version of Windows 10.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w

scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer at the right and select Windows 10 > click Confirm.
    click the pointer and select Language > make sure you pick the same language the computer is now running > click Confirm
    select the bit version, 32 or 64-bit. Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    at the bottom, click the pointer next to Save > click Save As > navigate to a folder of your choice > click the chosen folder > click Save
    The iso will start downloading to your chosen folder.
    When it is done, go to that folder > open the folder > right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe
    Installation will begin.
    It will allow you to keep you files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, May 4, 2016
  13. System Restore

Try this, open CMD as admin, copy/paste and enter:

reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableSR" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableConfig" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SPP\Clients" /v " {09F7EDC5-294E-4180-AF6A-FB0E6A0E9513}" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "1" /f
    vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=25GB

TairikuOkami, May 4, 2016
  14. Well, did all that and still the same Dot on "Turn on system Protection" and nothing happens. Cannot restore my computer ARGGGGG

15. Ztruker Win User
    Don't know if this will help or not.

1. Open a Elevated Command prompt by right pressing Window key + X. Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    2. Type net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter. This enables the hidden Administrator account.
    3. Logoff your current account.
    4. Select Administrator from the lower left part of the screen then login as Administrator, no password required unless you added one at some point.

Now try enabling System Protection.

Whether that works or not, logoff Administrator, login with your normal account then from a Elevated Command Prompt: Type net user administrator /active:no and press Enter. This disables the hidden Administrator account again.

Ztruker, May 5, 2016
Thema:

System Restore

1. System Restore - Similar Threads - System Restore

2. How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?: I have taken a system image backup from my windows 11 laptop. Now I am trying to restore it but getting the prompt to create repair disc. How can I restore without creating the disc? Image has been attached for reference....
  3. How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?: I have taken a system image backup from my windows 11 laptop. Now I am trying to restore it but getting the prompt to create repair disc. How can I restore without creating the disc? Image has been attached for reference....
  4. How do I get internet access after system restore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get internet access after system restore?: Hello! Is someone available to help me troubleshoot? I did a system restore on my ACER, I have Windows 10, it shows the internet is connected but it will not allow me to connect.. tried resetting the Network too. No luck. I have McAfee security....
  5. How do I get internet access after system restore?

How do I get internet access after system restore?: Hello! Is someone available to help me troubleshoot? I did a system restore on my ACER, I have Windows 10, it shows the internet is connected but it will not allow me to connect.. tried resetting the Network too. No luck. I have McAfee security....
  6. How do I get internet access after system restore?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Does a system restore get rid of a Trojan that I just installed on my windows 11 pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does a system restore get rid of a Trojan that I just installed on my windows 11 pc: So i just installed a Trojan and I immediately went to system restore and restored it and I was wondering if the file could still be on my pc....
  8. Does a system restore get rid of a Trojan that I just installed on my windows 11 pc

Does a system restore get rid of a Trojan that I just installed on my windows 11 pc: So i just installed a Trojan and I immediately went to system restore and restored it and I was wondering if the file could still be on my pc....
  9. BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore: When I was last updating my drivers. More specifically I updated my audio driver and my USB driver. Before downloading, i created an restore point to that moment. After that I downloaded these drivers.After a day, I noticed that, after these drivers installations, my PC...
  10. BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore

BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESSOR_DIED after system restore: When I was last updating my drivers. More specifically I updated my audio driver and my USB driver. Before downloading, i created an restore point to that moment. After that I downloaded these drivers.After a day, I noticed that, after these drivers installations, my PC...