Windows 10: System reverts to default power settings on reboot.

Discus and support System reverts to default power settings on reboot. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I run a HTPC in my front room and this hosts all my media, so other devices on the network can access it. Due to this, I need to prevent the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RossL, Mar 30, 2018.

1. RossL Win User

System reverts to default power settings on reboot.

Hi,

I run a HTPC in my front room and this hosts all my media, so other devices on the network can access it. Due to this, I need to prevent the computer from going to sleep, so other computers can still access the media. I keep changing the balanced power plan to 'screen off - 10 minutes of inactivity' 'sleep - never', but after a reboot, it defaults to 'sleep after 2 hrs of inactivity'.

To try and get around this, I have used Local Group Policy Editor. Unfortunately despite the power settings being greyed out after setting the Local Group Policy Editor, the system is managing to revert back to 'sleep after 2hrs of inactivity'.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Ross

:)

RossL, Mar 30, 2018
  2. Tracer710 Win User

--Solved-- Custom system sound settings revert to default on reboot.

--------------------------SOLVED-----------------------------------------------

I'm editing this to let you know I solved this as I can't mark my own reply as a solution..... for the answer skip below to the section that says solution in big bold letters.

--------------------------SOLVED-----------------------------------------------

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to replace my low battery chime from the default windows one to a custom one using the normal Sounds->Program Event method. When I was done, I pressed apply and I even saved the custom sound profile. It all worked nicely. The problem comes when
    I reboot, the system reverts to the original sound profile with the stock chime. I'm using a local account, which should eliminate any Windows sync-settings issues. Anyone have any idea what's up?

Initial reply: Try regedit

Sadly this solution did not work. I had tried everything besides regedit, so that's what I did this time. I went in and successfully edited what I wanted. Once again, it worked fine initially, but when I reboot the system the .current registry changed back
    to the default chime. If anybody could help I'd be very grateful!

-----------------------------------------------------SOLUTION--------------------------------------------------------

Hey, I figured it out.

Two steps:

First, make sure your replacement wav file name doesn't have any spaces in it.

Second, go into regedit after you reboot. Under the alert you've been trying to edit, look at the current tab. If you're having the problem I did, it will have reverted to the original default windows sound. Click to modify but don't actually modify anything.
    Instead, look at the file path and write it down. Exit out of Regedit without having modified anything. Open up your file explorer and navigate to the file your computer keeps restoring in spite of your better wishes. Now take the wav file you want to REPLACE
    the default sound with, place it in the same file folder with the DEFAULT wav, and rename it the exact same thing. (Windows might append a number onto your replacement, in that case, add a string of letters or something to the Original Default and then remove
    the number from your Replacement Wav.) If all has gone well, this will have worked and you will still have the default wav in case you ever want to change back to the original sound file. (I named mine 'Chime OG') Hope this is helpful, sorry I didn't add screenshots.

All the best,

XX

Tracer710, Mar 30, 2018
  3. Gina_on_the_thread, Mar 30, 2018
  4. RossL Win User

Bump. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

RossL, Mar 30, 2018
  5. mrgeek Win User
    Did you check the Wake timers ? In the screen shot, you would want to 'disable'

System reverts to default power settings on reboot. [​IMG]

mrgeek, Mar 30, 2018
  6. RossL Win User
    Thank you for that, I didn't realise that needed editing, as I assumed it would have inherited it from the never setting. I'll give it a go and report back.

RossL, Mar 30, 2018
  7. RossL Win User
    Unfortunately that didn't solve the issue. I have gone to the HTPC today and it was in sleep mode. Checked the power settings and it has reverted to screen off in an hour and sleep in 2 hours, despite LGP being set.

RossL, Apr 1, 2018
  8. RossL Win User

Bump. Any ideas? It's becoming a pain as I use it to stream video to other devices around the house, but once it's gone to sleep (power button flashing at a steady rate and doesn't wake until the keyboard is touched), the other devices cannot access the videos until I go to the HTPC and wake it up.

RossL, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System reverts to default power settings on reboot. - Similar Threads - System reverts default

2. Screen Turn Off Power Setting reverts to default on restart but does not change on power...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Turn Off Power Setting reverts to default on restart but does not change on power...: The VIDEOIDLE setting changes to default 0x00000384 15 min. whenever I reboot the system. It stays at 0x00000000 Never - my preferred setting when I power off and power on system or return from sleep mode. The Power mode is performance. Windows 11 Home build 22000.556. This...
  3. Screen Turn Off Power Setting reverts to default on restart but does not change on power...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Turn Off Power Setting reverts to default on restart but does not change on power...: The VIDEOIDLE setting changes to default 0x00000384 15 min. whenever I reboot the system. It stays at 0x00000000 Never - my preferred setting when I power off and power on system or return from sleep mode. The Power mode is performance. Windows 11 Home build 22000.556. This...
  4. Monitor settings constantly reverting to default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor settings constantly reverting to default: Hi there. First-time poster. I just got a new laptop for work Dell Precision 5560 that is connected to two monitors Dell P2419H via two display port cables to a Dell Thunderbolt Dock WD19TBS. NVIDIA T1200.Under the display settings, I am able to add both screens to my set-up...
  5. Monitor settings constantly reverting to default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor settings constantly reverting to default: Hi there. First-time poster. I just got a new laptop for work Dell Precision 5560 that is connected to two monitors Dell P2419H via two display port cables to a Dell Thunderbolt Dock WD19TBS. NVIDIA T1200.Under the display settings, I am able to add both screens to my set-up...
  6. Monitor settings constantly reverting to default

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Mouse Cursor Reverts to Default on Reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse Cursor Reverts to Default on Reboot: I have recently purchased a new hp pavilion laptop, Model Number: HP 15-cs3055wm I have customized it with a cursor scheme that I absolutely love, however, anytime I turn the device off and back on the cursor scheme reverts back to default. When I go back into the...
  8. Custom Text Settings Reverting To Default.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom Text Settings Reverting To Default.: Following clean install I set the 'Icons' text to size 11 and bold. This was fine all day yesterday and through a few shutdowns and restarts. Today and those settings have reverted to default, but not only that, the options to change them back again are greyed out as can be...
  9. Registry Settings Revert after Reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry Settings Revert after Reboot: Because the advanced appearance settings in win10 were omitted I manually tweaked the registry. After log off or reboot they (the registry) assume the default state. Now I'm pretty desperate and in fragile mental condition. But I'm here now and know that You'll came up with a...
  10. sound settings revert to defaults

in Windows 10 Support
    sound settings revert to defaults: I've set the audio settings and saved them SEVERAL times. I know how to do it correctly. Windows 10 will not save my settings. They revert to the defaults. When I select any of my saved schemes, every sound is the default. AARRGGHH!! *Mad 29207

Users found this page by searching for:

1. group policy settings reverting after sleep mode

2. power and sleep setting revert back to default after restarting