Windows 10: System Tray icon for Network Access

Discus and support System Tray icon for Network Access in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I see the speaker icon next to the ethernet in your picture. I looked again and I believe you are correct. That is the speaker icon. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chucktin, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Chucktin Win User

System Tray icon for Network Access

I looked again and I believe you are correct. That is the speaker icon.

Chucktin, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Chucktin Win User

Looking for insight on System Tray Icons.

Our home router shut down it's 4 wired ports, probably in a power outage. I did a Firmware update and power cycled (off/on) the router and the ports are back. But ...
    This caused me much grief in that the Network Status said I was getting out via Ethernet but the System Tray was insisting that only wireless connections, either the 5.0 or 2.4 GHz, were available. The wired Ethernet connection does not display! Huh?
    When did that occur and why was this changed (OK, I acknowledge that last is a dumb
    System Tray icon for Network Access [​IMG]
    guestion.)

Thanks, cvt

:)

Chucktin, Apr 9, 2018
  3. Windows 10 14393.447 (Nov 9, 2016) update problem

After the Windows 10 (v1607) 14393.447 update (KB3200970),

the network icon disappeared from system tray,

and the network item in the 'Turn system icons on or off' setting is greyed out.

How can I restore network icon in the system tray?

Thanks.

SirupyPoet, Apr 9, 2018
  4. System Tray icon for Network Access

volume and network icons don't work on system tray

My volume and network icons don't work on the system tray. In order to access them to change stuff, I have to go into Settings, which although laborious is effective. Occasionally (but not always) I can get the system tray icons working for a bit by
    restarting the computer, but again this is only temporary, and they soon revert to not working. Anything I can do?

zavarradeharra, Apr 9, 2018
  5. Hi and Welcome!

Are the ports on your router gigabit ports? Everything is securely connected?

If you click on the wireless icon in the system tray, does it show both connections? If you disconnect the wireless, does it fail over to the Ethernet?

Masterchiefxx17, Apr 10, 2018
  6. Chucktin Win User
    The router is an ASUS nnnnRT AC. Yes to gigbit ports. All are securely connected. After the Firmware update and power cycle its back up and running as well as before.
    Doing further reading on this forum has gotten me some hints as to that system Tray display (right-click on icons) that I'll try.
    Just rather strange that the Ethernet (wired) connection icon disappeared. I want to get that back.

Chucktin, Apr 10, 2018
  7. bro67 Win User
    Power Outages do not shut down Ethernet ports. A Electrical Surge can cause the Ethernet ports to stop working. If the Gateway is not working, replace.

bro67, Apr 10, 2018
  8. Chucktin Win User

On the Router the LEDs for both Wireless channels were lit. The 4 wired ports we're not. They are all glowing now.

Chucktin, Apr 10, 2018
  9. Chucktin Win User
    Can I attach picture of the System tray, hmm maybe not yet?

Chucktin, Apr 11, 2018
  10. Chucktin Win User
    Picture of the System tray,

Chucktin, Apr 11, 2018
  11. Chucktin Win User
    My question is - why (now) do I see only the 2.4 or 5.0 GHz connection in the window but _not_ the Ethernet Cable? And how do I restore the behavior that I favor?

Chucktin, Apr 11, 2018
  12. The icon is showing an Ethernet cable is attached to the PC and the network is named Asus_24.

Masterchiefxx17, Apr 12, 2018
  13. Chucktin Win User

In that case your reading it different than I am. The Router is an ASUS and the two wireless connection are named (by me) ASUS 2.4 & ASUS 5.0.

Chucktin, Apr 12, 2018
  14. I don't have wifi in my PC but it matches what I see for my network connection. I named mine Cable so it would say Cable Internet Access lol.

Wifi is a different tray icon in Windows 10 I think.

Access Denied, Apr 12, 2018
  15. Chucktin Win User
    Yes if you look close the WiFi icon is there, to the right, but the Ethernet connection has been selected and is being displayed with the WiFi signal label.
    Weird.

Chucktin, Apr 12, 2018
Thema:

1. System Tray icon for Network Access - Similar Threads - System Tray icon

2. network icon in the system tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    network icon in the system tray: This is strange — I was having an issue with my cable service. The cable/wire to the house had to be replaced. Once the physical wire was replaced, the cable modem initializes and my devices connected. My phone connected via wi-fy and my roku connected via ethernet...
  3. network icon in the system tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    network icon in the system tray: This is strange — I was having an issue with my cable service. The cable/wire to the house had to be replaced. Once the physical wire was replaced, the cable modem initializes and my devices connected. My phone connected via wi-fy and my roku connected via ethernet...
  4. network icon in the system tray

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Network connection icon in tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network connection icon in tray: Starting from yesterday, while I'm connected to the internet, the tray icon says I'm not "No internet access" icon.I logged off/on to my account, I turned off/on my laptop, to no avail...Any thoughts?...
  6. Network connection icon in tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network connection icon in tray: Just from yesterday, while I'm connected to the internet, the tray icon says I'm not "No internet access" icon.I logged off/on to my account, I turned off/on my laptop, to no avail...Any thoughts?...
  7. Clicking on Network Icon on system tray does nothing

Clicking on Network Icon on system tray does nothing: Hi there, I've installed a few new updates recently and ever since yesterday, when I click on the Network icon, a grey box appears with the loading wheel and then disappears. [ATTACH] However, if I go into the lock screen Win+L I can still access the list from there?...
  8. System Tray Icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Tray Icon: I have a vision problem and the Safely Remove Icon is very hard for me to see. I would like to change the icon to something more visible. I can't seem to find it in the registry. Thank you....
  9. system tray icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    system tray icons: I received an update to Win 10 and ever since the update, I am only able to see two icons on the system tray at the same time. For example, I now have the speaker icon and the wifi "fan" icon on the system tray. I would like to also have the battery icon on like I've always...
  10. System Tray Icons and network connections

System Tray Icons and network connections: One good result (consequence?) of this is that that sleep function is behaving better. Weird.