Windows 10: System Tray Icons and network connections

Discus and support System Tray Icons and network connections in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; One good result (consequence?) of this is that that sleep function is behaving better. Weird. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chucktin, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Chucktin Win User

System Tray Icons and network connections

One good result (consequence?) of this is that that sleep function is behaving better. Weird.

Chucktin, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Chucktin Win User

For the last month I've been chasing network settings on my desktop computer.
    The backstory: replaced my photo-editing machine with a custom build "gaming" machine (don't do gaming, it's just that the components are top notch). Then I bought a new DSLR and the file sizes are so large I could see that I might (quickly) run short of storage space. Had the custom shop add a 9 TB internal. While I was happy with the configuration (thing is quicker 'n sheet) the networking icons displayed are .. odd.
    Trouble shooting by putting my laptop on the same network drop and I saw the same thing so it's not the computer (we hope).
    To wit: the System Tray keeps displaying an icon (RJ45 connector over a monitor) for the wired connection but labels it with either the 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz connection moniker (router_2.4 or router_50).
    What sense does that make?
    The Internet Status page says I'm connected via "Ethernet 2". Which is what I'd like to see, much more descriptive.
    What's causing this? Anybody got a clue?

:)

Chucktin, Apr 18, 2018
  3. DRVS Win User
    windows firewall and no internet connection

is it safe to have the windows 10 firewall disabled when the pc is not connected to any network or the network icon in the system tray isnt lighted up?

4. System Tray Icons and network connections

Windows 10 14393.447 (Nov 9, 2016) update problem

After the Windows 10 (v1607) 14393.447 update (KB3200970),

the network icon disappeared from system tray,

and the network item in the 'Turn system icons on or off' setting is greyed out.

How can I restore network icon in the system tray?

Thanks.

SirupyPoet, Apr 18, 2018
  5. Hi Chucktin.

Mine does the same, I just ignore it. I originally connected wirelessly so I assumed it grabbed name from that.

That said this tutorial should help.

Change Network Profile Name in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 19, 2018
  6. Chucktin Win User
    There's a setting in secpol.msc to rename the connection. I changed it to my router's model name and turned off the WiFi.
    What a PITA.

Chucktin, Apr 19, 2018
  7. Yes that was option 2 in tutorial. Glad you got it sorted out.

Caledon Ken, Apr 19, 2018
  8. Chucktin Win User

Well day 3 of the solution and the System Tray is still displaying the RJ45 icon and it's still labeled as my Router.
    Still I'd feel a lot (!) better could I understand what occurred.

Chucktin, Apr 20, 2018
Thema:

1. System Tray Icons and network connections - Similar Threads - System Tray Icons

2. network icon in the system tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    network icon in the system tray: This is strange — I was having an issue with my cable service. The cable/wire to the house had to be replaced. Once the physical wire was replaced, the cable modem initializes and my devices connected. My phone connected via wi-fy and my roku connected via ethernet...
  3. network icon in the system tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    network icon in the system tray: This is strange — I was having an issue with my cable service. The cable/wire to the house had to be replaced. Once the physical wire was replaced, the cable modem initializes and my devices connected. My phone connected via wi-fy and my roku connected via ethernet...
  4. network icon in the system tray

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Network connection icon in tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network connection icon in tray: Starting from yesterday, while I'm connected to the internet, the tray icon says I'm not "No internet access" icon.I logged off/on to my account, I turned off/on my laptop, to no avail...Any thoughts?...
  6. Network connection icon in tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network connection icon in tray: Just from yesterday, while I'm connected to the internet, the tray icon says I'm not "No internet access" icon.I logged off/on to my account, I turned off/on my laptop, to no avail...Any thoughts?...
  7. Computer icon in system tray says 'Not Connected'

Computer icon in system tray says 'Not Connected': I have installed Office 365 on my computer. However, when I go to activate it on Word, it says it can't because I'm not connected to the internet. This is a problem with my device that I can't figure out how to fix. I am connected to WiFi and can access anything online....
  8. System Tray Icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Tray Icon: I have a vision problem and the Safely Remove Icon is very hard for me to see. I would like to change the icon to something more visible. I can't seem to find it in the registry. Thank you....
  9. System Tray icon for Network Access

System Tray icon for Network Access: I see the speaker icon next to the ethernet in your picture. I looked again and I believe you are correct. That is the speaker icon.
  10. Network icon in system tray says I'm not connected, but I am.

Network icon in system tray says I'm not connected, but I am.: I got a new IBM Lenovo about a month ago that was running Windows 8.1. Before doing anything I immediately upgraded it Windows 10. When I hover over the network icon it says "Not Connected-Connections Available." The thing about it is, is that I am connected to the network...