Windows 10: system tray tooltips don't show in windows 10

Discus and support system tray tooltips don't show in windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, On previous Windows installations I used to roll the mouse pointer over the system tray icons in order to show tooltips like the % level of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alemon, Aug 14, 2015.

1. alemon Win User

system tray tooltips don't show in windows 10

Hi,

On previous Windows installations I used to roll the mouse pointer over the system tray icons in order to show tooltips like the % level of battery or the volume of the speakers. I also used to left-click in order to change the volume but now after upgrading to win10, those features seem as disappeared.

Is there any property to be set to achieve that or the features are definitively lost?

Rgds,
    Alex

:)

alemon, Aug 14, 2015

2. Tooltips in Notification Tray In Windows 10

The tooltips have never been visible since my upgrade. The notification tray area is mostly opaque but no tooltips will display at all. If I right click on objects in the task tray I can interact with them, but none show tooltips and there's information
    in my VPN clients tooltip that I require.

PartTimeTechie, Aug 14, 2015
  3. Tooltips in Notification Tray In Windows 10

Is there a way to get these back? I now mouseover my icons in the notification tray area in windows 10 and no tooltip is visible. Some of these apps I use display important information, such as VPN Port information, in these tooltips that I can no longer
    see in Windows 10. Anyone know of a registry fix to reenable these?

PartTimeTechie, Aug 14, 2015
  4. Bumpkin Win User

Bumpkin, Aug 14, 2015
  5. alemon Win User
    Thanks but the problem is about notifications not visual effects.

I activated the required icons doing the following:

Right-click the taskbar -> Properties -> in the "Notification Area" section, click the "Customize" button

but the notifications do not appear yet.

Bye,
    Alex

alemon, Aug 14, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    I get pop ups that show what I am point at.

7. alemon Win User
    That is the problem.

alemon, Aug 14, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

Please explain in greater detail.

Edwin, Aug 14, 2015
  9. Fahr Win User
    I think I have exactly the same problem. The system tray icons in the bottom right of the screen are all there. When I hover the mouse over them, no tooltip appears. Previously, in Windows 7, I would always see a tooltip pop up after a second, sometimes with just the name of the program, sometimes with more information. In Windows 10, these tooltips no longer appear for me.

10. alemon Win User
    As I stated above, I am experimenting some inconvenience with icons on traybar after upgrading to win10:

1. No popups appear after pointing at the battery icon (it should show the percentage of battery left but it does not).

2. Leftclick on the speakers icon seems allowed no more (it was very useful because until 8.1 I was able to change the volume directly from the popup).

rgds,
    alex

alemon, Aug 14, 2015
  11. alemon Win User
    @Edwin

As I stated above, I am experimenting some inconvenience with icons on traybar after upgrading to win10:

1. No popups appear after pointing at the battery icon (it should show the percentage of battery left but it does not).

2. Leftclick on the speakers icon seems allowed no more (it was very useful because until 8.1 I was able to change the volume directly from the popup).

rgds,
    alex

alemon, Aug 14, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    Hmmm..., definitely something wrong there.
    Maybe try resetting Notification Icon Cache:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

or maybe it's a graphics problem, check if your graphics drivers are up to date.

Edwin, Aug 14, 2015
  13. Fahr Win User

This worked for me. After running the script and rebooting, the tooltips are back. I had to set which icons are always visible again, but that is hardly a problem. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

14. Edwin New Member
    That's good news! *Thumbs

Edwin, Aug 15, 2015
  15. alemon Win User
    Resetting the cache did the trick!

Thank you very much for your help!

Alex

alemon, Aug 15, 2015
Thema:

1. system tray tooltips don't show in windows 10 - Similar Threads - system tray tooltips

2. Windows Explorer System Tray not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer System Tray not showing: Windows 11 Pro 22h2, windows tiny edition. Issue present since first setup, previously the issue was seen when taskbar was set to autohide, system tray stopped showing wifi/battery/sound/clock.NB: I've turned off everything I don't use search etc. I was gonna patch the...
  3. Windows Explorer System Tray not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer System Tray not showing: Windows 11 Pro 22h2, windows tiny edition. Issue present since first setup, previously the issue was seen when taskbar was set to autohide, system tray stopped showing wifi/battery/sound/clock.NB: I've turned off everything I don't use search etc. I was gonna patch the...
  4. System Tray arrow not showing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Tray arrow not showing.: After a recent windows 11 update, the little System Tray arrow just is not there anymore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-tray-arrow-not-showing/7693f6b4-b4e6-4127-af3d-79a21465ba2c
  5. System Tray arrow not showing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Tray arrow not showing.: After a recent windows 11 update, the little System Tray arrow just is not there anymore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-tray-arrow-not-showing/7693f6b4-b4e6-4127-af3d-79a21465ba2c
  6. System Tray - Power not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Tray - Power not showing: Dear all,I am writing because of the change I have in the System tray. For some reason, it shows my power on the sign-in screen, but not on the system tray.Would anyone know why this is, please?Marek...
  7. Windows 10 System Tray Not Showing

Windows 10 System Tray Not Showing: hello! i upgraded my laptop software from windows 8.1 to windows 10 a few months ago, and yesterday i've noticed almost all of the people who have windows 10 have system tray in their taskbar, whereas i can not see any system tray in my taskbar. please help me, i really need...
  8. Windows tray icons don't show recent files after system restart

Windows tray icons don't show recent files after system restart: [ATTACH] The File Explorer recent files also disappears after system restart. I would like to see all recent files and folders because they make opening them much easier. Which settings should I change?...
  9. Tooltips not showing in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Tooltips not showing in Chrome: For a while now I've noticed that Chrome isn't showing tooltips anywhere. Either when hovering over links or images. I am not sure what's preventing them from showing. 37273
  10. Show hints (tooltips) for maximised window in windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Show hints (tooltips) for maximised window in windows 10: Some programs I use need to have hints, or tips, shown. A debugger is the most important example for me but for my customers it is the apps I develop. If I maximize a window then hints are turned off as though I'm in tablet mode which I am not. It seems as though maximized...