Windows 10: System turns off at night while in sleep mode

Discus and support System turns off at night while in sleep mode in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I updated to W10 and have had no problems and this one really isn't a big deal but it's got my OCD going. I have sleep set after 25 minutes and that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Beerlord, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Beerlord Win User

System turns off at night while in sleep mode

I updated to W10 and have had no problems and this one really isn't a big deal but it's got my OCD going.
    I have sleep set after 25 minutes and that seems to work fine. It comes out of sleep pretty well too. But, it seems that ovenight, the system shuts down on it's own.
    I've looked at the logs and scheduler and it seems that the UpdateOrchestrator was set at 3:30 am so I changed that time to 6:30 PM and the system turned off overnight again.
    So, I left it awake one night and it did not shut off. Tried again the next night and it turned off. I'm going to try to remove the schedule entirely but from what I've read over the last few weeks, it will create a new task again.

I've got no idea what UpdateOrchestrator really does despite all my googling and don't have this problem on any other PC so I'm wondering if it has to do with hardware. WhoCrashed does not report any crashes at all. Nor do the logs tell me anything.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

:)

Beerlord, Sep 9, 2015
  2. Rolator Win User

Battery draining while on sleep mode.

Hello,

My battery is draining by 50% while on sleep mode during the night.

This phenomenon is recent (a week or so). Prior the battery used to decrease by roughly 10%.

I set the WiFi to be turned off while on sleep mode.

Are there any processes still running in the background while on sleep?

Appreciate your assistance.

Best,

Mat

Rolator, Sep 9, 2015
  3. Laptop turns off during the night while in sleep mode.

Please read
    this wiki
    to find out how to find and upload your event viewer logs

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Sep 9, 2015
  4. pat247 Win User

In the advance power options, expand the sleep entry, then expand hibernate, the default is 180 min, you can change it.

pat247, Sep 9, 2015
  5. Beerlord Win User
    Thanks, I'll try that but I've not had hibernate active, only sleep. In the past I've had problems in W7 and W8.1 with hibernation not waking the machine so that my tv tuner will work. It works fine in sleep but not hibernate.
    However, I'll give this a shot.

Beerlord, Sep 9, 2015
  6. pat247 Win User
    I'm with you on hibernate, I've never liked it on a desktop computer for the same reason you mention. I just checked two of my desktop computers and hibernate is set to never, one is an upgrade to Win 10, the other is a clean install of Win 10. My laptop is a clean install of Win 10 and hibernate is set to 180 min. On all three computers the first thing that I did after install of Win 10 was to change the power setting for when to sleep to never.

pat247, Sep 9, 2015
  7. Beerlord Win User
    Came home from work and my battery backup box was beeping.  I replaced it but now I wonder if that has been my problem. We'll see in a night or two.

Beerlord, Sep 11, 2015
  8. Beerlord Win User

Well, it's back to the same problem after a few days but it seems to only do this if I manually put the box to sleep. If it sleeps on its own, I don't seem to have this problem as often.
    I read a ZDNet blog by Mary Jo that she's having similar problems so maybe it's a W10 hardware problem and I'll need a few updates to get this figured out.

Beerlord, Sep 14, 2015
  9. thx2net Win User
    I'm having the same exact problem on a brand new build with fresh install of Win10. I've already tried changing power management several times. Now testing with High Performance settings and changing advanced options under "Sleep" to:

Sleep After = Never (On Battery & plugged in)
    Allow Hybrid Sleep = Off (On Battery & Plugged in)
    Hibernate After = Never (On Battery & Plugged in)
    Allow wake timers = Disable (On Battery & Plugged in)

I'll let you know if my PC still turns off at night.

I keep mine running for remote login so I need it on, other than the Display settings which I have set as:

"Turn off display after"
    On Battery: Never (since this is a desktop)
    Plugged in: 15 Minutes

thx2net, Oct 18, 2015
  10. bacon612 Win User
    Subscribed. Having the same issue win10 pro x64. Didn't have the problem with an upgrade from 7 but I then did a fresh install and when I sleep the PC, it powers off. Seems like this is a bug and pretty annoying too.

bacon612, Oct 27, 2015
  11. bacon612 Win User
    Hey so i may have solved the issue. YMMV but in power options i stopped windows from adjusting Pcie link speed and now I can use sleep. You guys want to try that and report back?

bacon612, Oct 29, 2015
  12. Jonw9 Win User
    What exactly does that mean? How do you do that?

Jonw9, Apr 10, 2016
  13. System turns off at night while in sleep mode

i dont think m$ would be in business if we weren't all forced to use their garbage with new pcs.

how the hell is this a thing now. my computer just started doing this. only when entering sleep manually. very clearly a windows thing. w7 never had this problem. why now on w10?

last time i take suggestion from m$ to do anything. just reinstalled this system too. no time to switch back to 7. god. does bill gates not test this shit before unleashing it on the world ?? how does windows REGRESS??? how does it actually get worse and in such a bad fashion??

I bet all the M$ idiot engineers use apple macbooks for their work so they don't loose their shit when windows shuts down instead of sleeping like they said. *******s. like if they all used windows at home you'd think an engineer would stumble on this problem before we did and actually fix it or call one of his buddies to fix it ... but they don't ... why? they all use apple for their actual work! such a widespread and obvious problem... so sad and pathetic. i'd feel ashamed if i made a product that functioned like this.

bananapeal, Aug 30, 2016
  14. I saw the admin notice that this is an old thread, but I have this problem as well on a new Dell desktop PC with Win10/Pro/64 pre-installed. I'm particularly interested in bacon612's note: "...in power options i stopped windows from adjusting Pcie link speed and now I can use sleep." Another member asked what this means but there's no answer. How do I find this setting?

Electrojim, Dec 18, 2016
  15. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Dec 19, 2016
Thema:

1. System turns off at night while in sleep mode - Similar Threads - System turns off

2. Computer Shuts Off While in Sleep Mode?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer Shuts Off While in Sleep Mode?: Hello, Recently within the past week or so, my computer started to shut off from both sleep mode/hibernate after a period of time. I am using latest Windows 10 build, updated graphics drivers. Is there a reason this might be happening? Things I've tried troubleshooting...
  3. Why does my laptop turn off if it is in sleep mode for a while?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does my laptop turn off if it is in sleep mode for a while?: This is a really big problem. After a while in sleep mode, my laptop shuts down. How can I disable this? It’s really annoying. I has Windows 1909 update....
  4. Why does my laptop turn off if it is in sleep mode for a while?

Why does my laptop turn off if it is in sleep mode for a while?: This is a really big problem. After a while in sleep mode, my laptop shuts down. How can I disable this? It’s really annoying. I has Windows 1909 update. submitted by /u/andr74b [link] [comments]...
  5. Night Mode doesn’t turn on while in full screen.

Night Mode doesn’t turn on while in full screen.: So I recently installed a GT710 and whenever I go into full screen games like League of Legends or Valorant I notice my night light from the windows 10 settings do not turn on. In any other game, like minecraft that’s not full screen night light is on. Before on integrated...
  6. Night Light Turning Off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Night Light Turning Off: I have a Surface Pro X and have been having this issue for a while now: When I turn on the Night Light and have the scheduled setting on, the night light "turns off" after my device goes to sleep for a bit and then wakes back up, even if it's after sunset. When I swipe in...
  7. Issues with turning off display and sleep mode

Issues with turning off display and sleep mode: Hi I have a brand new Asus VivoBook laptop and the display is not turning off and the computer is not going to sleep for the times I've set. I've tried the Power troubleshooter, restoring Balanced plan to defaults, and turning off fast start up with no success. The screen...
  8. Night mode randomly turns off

Night mode randomly turns off: This has been going on for about a month or so. I'm on W10 Pro 1903 build 18362.592. I have night mode on permanently. My screens would go dark and then come back on where night mode looks "off", but the button in message center shows it's on. When I switch it from on to off...
  9. Sleep mode turn off my keyboard

Sleep mode turn off my keyboard: When my pc has been in sleep/hibernate for a couple of hours i can press my keyboard to wake up but when it comes to the login screen the keyboard turns off and i have to unplug and replug for it to work again?...
  10. Sleep Mode Turns Unit Off

Sleep Mode Turns Unit Off: When entering Sleep Mode the computer is turned off. Performance indicates that Sleep Mode is set for 30 minutes which I have not used, but when I leave my computer and manually select Sleep Mode is when the computer is turned off. I checked the network adapter for the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system turns off at night while in sleep mode