Windows 10: "system" using lots of data

Discus and support "system" using lots of data in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I live in a rural area and was using mobile data for internet however recently got nbn satellite installed. Satellite internet provides you with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EmilySmith5, Aug 12, 2018.

1. "system" using lots of data

Hi,

I live in a rural area and was using mobile data for internet however recently got nbn satellite installed. Satellite internet provides you with a peak and off peak data allowance and the provider I am using had info on how you can use your off-peak data (between 1am & 7am) and one of them was to get a program called playon which you can schedule to record shows on Netflix and other streaming services however to use it at those hours the laptop had to be on and can't go to sleep etc. so I had to change my settings so that the laptop didn't turn off. All was going good until I got a notification that over 50% of my on-peak data had been used within about 12 days of having it connected. When I looked my online account with them I could see there was big chucks of data being used on certain days, one as big as 15gb. I imminently rang the provider assuming there was something wrong on their end however a tech person got back to me and said it was correct and that the 15gb was actually a upload not a download. So I checked my data usages on the computer and it says the big amounts of data are being used by the "system" and I can't drill down any further to see what for. I checked for updates on the days of big data usage and there were not done on those days. I just started turning my computer off so it couldn't use anymore however I forgot to put it back to going to sleep after a certain amount of inactivity and while I was using it this month I got called away for a couple of hours and the bloody thing chewed up a heap of data again and again it was the "system" but no updates where done...……..

I have done a virus scan, and my security is up to date so all good there.

Really curious as to what it only started happening when:

I changed internet to nbn satellite

I stopped the computer from going into sleep mode

I downloaded Playon program to record at off-peak time (data usages shows to approx. what it should be for this app though)

I know the obvious thing is to put it back on sleep mode and see if it stops which is what I have done but really just want to know what it was that was using the data.

:)

EmilySmith5, Aug 12, 2018

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown "system" using lots of data :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: Support Answers

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Aug 12, 2018
  3. System Image Problem

Version Date 5.05 8/03/2009 5.08 7/21/2009 Which one is newer?
    Only 5.05 was offered on HP for the machine I linked.
    The description danced around some of the anomalies we're seen with drives.

Since only 5.05 was offered, I questioned 5.08
    Guess we know the answer now - 5.05 failed to flash.
    We could spend time trying to figure that out, but IMO it's better on the back burner for now

I think the next step is to try the Macrium sleight of hand to get the System Image restored.
    I'd like to get the System Image up and running to do the follwoing

• Copy Nick's data to a folder off of the restored System Image C: drive

• run a Belarc Advisor audit to collect license keys for Nick's software

• there might be other data collection that Nick can do in preparation for the final step

The final step is a clean install, install up-to-date MS and 3rd party software, and restore the copied personal data.

Nick was having difficulty locating the outlook files in the System Image - so getting it back running live is the best I can think of.

Thoughts, suggestions, and objections are always welcome and considered

Slartybart, Aug 12, 2018
  4. "system" using lots of data

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

• Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    • Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    • Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    • Select add someone else on this PC.
    • Enter a user name and hit next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Aug 12, 2018
Thema:

"system" using lots of data

1. "system" using lots of data - Similar Threads - system using lots

2. My system is using a lot of data right now.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My system is using a lot of data right now.: my data usage is over 100gb per month, i checker what was using so much data and it showed the applicaiton using data was called system. i was wondering how to get rid of these incrediibly high data usages...
  3. My system is using a lot of data right now.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My system is using a lot of data right now.: my data usage is over 100gb per month, i checker what was using so much data and it showed the applicaiton using data was called system. i was wondering how to get rid of these incrediibly high data usages...
  4. My laptop's system is using a lot of data and my all data get finished in few minutes. Can...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My laptop's system is using a lot of data and my all data get finished in few minutes. Can...: I am using HP laptop with windows 10 and I am facing a problem. My system is using a lot of data for no reason and I have paused windows update also but it still using a ton of data. Please help me...
  5. System consume a lot of data on windows 10

System consume a lot of data on windows 10: Give me some solution how to save my data when I connect my mobile wifi with laptop then my laptop system consume too much data. I lost 6 GB data in an hour, I don't know how to prevent this so please me provide that problem solution....
  6. Data is being used by "System"

Data is being used by "System": My data is being used mostly by the "System" application under the Data Usage breakdown [ATTACH] I'd like to stop it from using so much my last computer didn't use this much data I've already tried many different things to stop this: I've set my connection to metered I've...
  7. Windows system is using a lot of bandwidths

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows system is using a lot of bandwidths: My windows 10 system is chowing my wifi data I have stopped, blocked, limited every app in there... But something on background is using data every time I'm on the internet. Data stats it reads "system" when I check Please help [Original Title: Windows system]...
  8. The `System` process uses a lot of CPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The `System` process uses a lot of CPU: Good day, friends. I formatted my computer yesterday evening and cleaned the fans of the PC this morning. After I finished cleaning, I opened pc normally and started installing the Drivers. I also updated my graphics card from GeForce Experience. But after a while, I opened...
  9. wermgr using a lot of internet data

wermgr using a lot of internet data: It started about a week ago wermgr started using a lot of data even more than my browser, I have a limited internet plan with the usage per day im afraid it alone will go past the limit, I disabled it and it still using data....
  10. System consumes a lot of data on windows 10pro

System consumes a lot of data on windows 10pro: I just bought a new laptop and upgraded it to windows 10pro. But the data it consumes is a lot in such a small amount of time. I stopped all the background apps and even set my network as metered but the consumption won't stop. In data usage, it shows that the most data is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. svchost.exe netsvcs p network usage on metered network