Windows 10: System using two different names for same user account

Discus and support System using two different names for same user account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am setting up a new PC. Win 10 seems to force you to use a Microsoft email account/address as the basis for setting it up. It then uses 5 letters... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by GarCooper, Dec 8, 2016.

1. GarCooper Win User

System using two different names for same user account

I am setting up a new PC. Win 10 seems to force you to use a Microsoft email account/address as the basis for setting it up. It then uses 5 letters from the email name as your user account name. You can then convert the user account to a "local" account, not tied in to the Microsoft email address.
    I converted my user account to "local". I could then change the user account name, and changed it to a name I preferred. A mistake! The logon screen shows the new account name but file explorer almost never shows the new account name. (Saw it once; couldn't use it.) It just shows the name taken from the email address.
    I want to set up a Home Group network and want to get that done right.
    How can I correct the name conflict so that the network sets up properly?

:)

GarCooper, Dec 8, 2016

2. Windows 10 - Two user folders, different names same content

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but I haven't been able to find my answer by searching. I finally set up my Windows 10 pc and in the Users folder is a username I did not choose for myself - it's really stupid. But at the top, there is a
    folder that IS the account I set up. Both folders have the same files. The folder at the top does not list a path and looks like it's equivalent with OneDrive, This PC, Libraries, Network and Control Panel. I'm assuming that this is just an easier way to
    view my account and it points to this other user account. But so that I don't confuse things, can the user name in the Users folder be changed to match the account name that I
    did set up? I didn't set up the user name in the User Accounts folder and it's not listed in User Accounts in control panel. Very confusing. Thanks.

By the way, this is a new machine and has only been used for a day. Updates have all been done and only Office and Acrobat have been installed.

dreemsnake1, Dec 8, 2016
  3. Windows 10 - Two user folders, different names same content

to add: matzidog and dreem had the same files until i saved this last file. it was not duplicated in "dreem" when I save it to "matzidog." sorry about the confusion. I need a windows 10 explorer (file system) instructor.

dreemsnake1, Dec 8, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You are mistaken, when you install Windows 10 you are not forced to use a Microsoft account to login with. You just have to read the screens carefully and click on the links that take you past all the MS account login stuff until you get to the screen that lets you put in a local account user name.

The switch between the local account and MS account does not change the base user account on the computer. It only changes the way the user logs into that base user account. When you create a local account from the beginning, the account name on the computer gets the user name that you type in. When you create an account as a Microsoft Account login from the beginning, the user account gets the name of the first few letters of the Microsoft Account email address. When you change that user account between MS login and local login, the base name of the physical account on the computer does not change.

So now what you want to do is switch your current account to a local account with a login name of something like Temp. Create a new local user account with the name you want. Mine is John because I want it to be my first name. Make sure to change the new account to an administrator. Log in to the new local account, move any documents/data over from the old account you want to keep. Then delete the old account. Now you can change your new account to the same MS Account login - but the base username of the physical account on the computer will remain the name that you wanted to from the beginning.

Option 3 here:
    User Account - Add in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

Option 1 here:
    Account Type - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

Option 1 here:
    User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2016
  5. mrgeek Win User
    NavyLCDR's method is good. I also used this one when I set up a computer and the person wanted his User name to be his first name only (works in 10 as well as 7). This addresses the network share issue that you're concerned with too. Remember to copy all folder content before deleting the unwanted name and sign out and in between all steps -
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...lder-name.html

mrgeek, Dec 8, 2016
  6. GarCooper Win User
    NavyLCDR
    Thank you. A sensible, fairly simple solution. I've applied it successfully and everything looks OK so far.
    Thanks again.
    I won't mark this as solved until I look at MrGeek's suggestion about the network.

GarCooper, Dec 8, 2016
  7. GarCooper Win User
    MrGeek
    I looked at the SeveForums writeup and have saved it for reference. Thanks.

GarCooper, Dec 8, 2016
  8. GarCooper Win User

I have set up the Home Group OK for the two important PC's. Couldn't get a third PC (my wife's notebook - which has previous other problems) to recognize the Home Group. It wants to create a Home Group. Can't worry about this now. I may be back for help on this later.

Thank again.

Gar

GarCooper, Dec 8, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    They do make the links to create a local account fairly difficult to navigate through. It's pretty obvious they are pushing Microsoft Accounts hard. I wish they reverse that, make the local account default and make the MS Account the option rather than the default.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System using two different names for same user account - Similar Threads - System using different

2. Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name: I have two onedrive personal accounts and they are both named OneDrive-Personal. Each is tied to a different email account. Without opening them I can't tell the difference. Is there a method to rename either to reflect the unique email account or my choice of name? If not,...
  3. Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name: I have two onedrive personal accounts and they are both named OneDrive-Personal. Each is tied to a different email account. Without opening them I can't tell the difference. Is there a method to rename either to reflect the unique email account or my choice of name? If not,...
  4. Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Two Instances of Skype. Same Time, 2 Accounts / User Names, Firefox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two Instances of Skype. Same Time, 2 Accounts / User Names, Firefox: I am endeavoring to run two instances of Skype at the same time. The idea is like one account for work and one for the family. I have the two Skype accounts working well enough. In trying to sort out how to get both active at the same time. I have become lost in history and...
  6. Two Instances of Skype. Same Time, 2 Accounts / User Names, Firefox

in Windows 10 Support
    Two Instances of Skype. Same Time, 2 Accounts / User Names, Firefox: I am endeavoring to run two instances of Skype at the same time. The idea is like one account for work and one for the family. I have the two Skype accounts working well enough. In trying to sort out how to get both active at the same time. I have become lost in history and...
  7. Local User Account Name Same as Microsoft Account Name?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local User Account Name Same as Microsoft Account Name?: I just installed Windows 10 on a workstation on my network there are many computers on this internal network. Since this network is secure and I'm the only employee... the same username and password is used on all systems... mine. This makes it very simple to use the...
  8. Setting two different passwords for same account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting two different passwords for same account?: I'm not sure what it's actually called, but the best I can describe it is that there is one profile, and one password will open it with all the files and apps, but a different password will open it with restricted access (can only see/access certain files and apps). Is this...
  9. Two User Accounts with same name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Two User Accounts with same name: Hi everyone, I'm well aware that this topic was posted multiple times. However non of the so far provided solutions worked for me. Two days ago I reinstalled windows. During the installation process my computer had no internet connection, so I created a local account. Later...
  10. User name under C is not the same as the Account name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User name under C is not the same as the Account name: We recently bought my husband a new computer. We put in his name, which is Collins as the account name. However, when I go to the C drive his user name shows up as Colli. Is there a way to Change that....