Windows 10: System won't boot

Discus and support System won't boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The processor fan comes on for a few seconds, then goes off and repeats this action. No post beep heard. Len 83528 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lenberman, May 3, 2017.

1. lenberman Win User

System won't boot

The processor fan comes on for a few seconds, then goes off and repeats this action. No post beep heard.

Len

:)

lenberman, May 3, 2017
  2. elewis121 Win User

windows 10 crash x: drive

I'm trying to help a friend on this as well. No boot disk, no boot thumb drive, system restore won't work; system recovery won't work.

Suggestions?

elewis121, May 3, 2017
  3. My System Won't Boot

Hi Wasim,

It' possible that the updates were not installed properly and this can result to unbootable and corrupted operating system. Another factor that we can consider is a disk corruption or missing system files. Can you tell us the exact message that
    you're seeing when you tried to boot your computer? A photo is highly appreciated.

You also don't need to worry if you don't have the actual Windows 10 recovery disc. If your computer was upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, your hardware will have a digital entitlement on Microsoft server which will allow you
    to continue using Windows 10 indefinitely on that PC.

Meanwhile, kindly boot your computer into safe mode. You may refer to this
    link
    . If you're unable to boot your computer from safe mode, we can run commands from Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot common startup issues. To know the exact troubleshooting steps, you may read this

link

Raymond Ave, May 3, 2017
  4. jds63 Win User

System won't boot

Did you add any new hardware recently ? Also try filling in complete system specs in your profile. Could be Bad RAM or Power Supply.

jds63, May 3, 2017
  5. kingston Win User
    more detail is needed here dude.
    check everything is fitted correctly.

kingston, May 3, 2017
  6. lenberman Win User
    Dell Desktop i7, 18GB ram, 1T Hd. Went to boot it and I heard the fans spin up, then stop, then spin up. It never got past that.
    Len

lenberman, May 4, 2017
  7. jds63 Win User
    Model of the Dell so we can look at it better to determine. If no new hardware was added and the case was never opened lately as said it can be a bad memory module (RAM) or a bad power supply (PSU). Try taking out one or two Memory Modules at a time and see if it boots up till you determine which stick maybe bad. Without knowing the system model not sure type of RAM used and how many modules.
    Computer powers on and then immediately turns off

jds63, May 4, 2017
  8. lmaneke Win User

System won't boot

Could be bad Power Supply, RAM, or faulty motherboard. Also could have an issue to where there could be a ground issue.

First thing you need to do is unplug the computer, and then make sure all of your hardware is fully seated "RAM, Video Card, any expansion cards, wires, etc", and also, I recommend unplugging your hard drive. Plug the power supply back in, and test.

If that dont work, start taking out the memory sticks out and putting them in different slots as jds63 pointed out.

Hope this helps

lmaneke, May 4, 2017
  9. lenberman Win User
    Thanks, I'll try your suggestions, and report back.
    Thanks - Len

lenberman, May 4, 2017
  10. jds63 Win User
    I would try taking one Memory Module out from DIMM 2 and then try booting, if that does not work take out Memory Module from DIMM 1 and put the other Memory Module from DIMM 2 in DIMM 1 and try booting again. Look here, page 14-15 http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/al...nual_en-us.pdf

Other then that chances are as said by me and others, bad Power Supply, CPU or motherboard. Most likely a bad RAM Module, even reseating them may help.

jds63, May 4, 2017
  11. lmaneke Win User
    What I've done to determine bad memory sticks or memory banks is to remove the RAM sticks and then power the computer on. I do that to try to get post beep codes. If it doesn't beep, then it's PSU, CPU or Motherboard that's faulty.

lmaneke, May 4, 2017
  12. me75006 Win User
    My vote is bad Power Supply.
    I lost a couple of the stock Dell power supplies.
    The cpu does a power supply test (when power on) & determines 'bad' and shuts things down to prevent damage.

me75006, May 4, 2017
  13. lenberman Win User

System won't boot

I tried switching the ram and it still just did the same thing. I checked the PS output and the -5 volt light was not lit. I am concerned that since the power supply cycles the fans on and off, is it possible that the bad PS output may have messed up the motherboard.

lenberman, May 5, 2017
  14. lmaneke Win User
    The only way to know is to install a different power supply into the system.

lmaneke, May 5, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    Try booting from a usb flash drive or dvd to eliminate a failed hard drive (check connections first). Unlikely, but worth testing just in case.

cereberus, May 5, 2017
Thema:

System won't boot

1. System won't boot - Similar Threads - System won't boot

2. My monitor won't wake on system boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My monitor won't wake on system boot up: My desktop is a Dell Inspiron 3881, Windows 10. Recently my monitor started failing to wake up when booting up my PC. The flashing light came on fine, but the monitor was just black and the usual Dell logo didn't appear. I changed some settings to try to resolve it. That only...
  3. Bitlocker system drive won't boot after a restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker system drive won't boot after a restart: I went to enable Bitlocker on my Windows 10 system drive. I went through the setup and saved a Recovery Password 44 digits to another drive. It then prompted me that I have to restart my PC for the encryption to begin. I proceeded with a reboot only to find that my PC won't...
  4. Bitlocker system drive won't boot after a restart

Bitlocker system drive won't boot after a restart: I went to enable Bitlocker on my Windows 10 system drive. I went through the setup and saved a Recovery Password 44 digits to another drive. It then prompted me that I have to restart my PC for the encryption to begin. I proceeded with a reboot only to find that my PC won't...
  5. System drive used to boot but won't now

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System drive used to boot but won't now: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 7306 black. Supplied as NVMe SSD 500GB. Bought from a Dell outlet in Feb 22. I bought a new 2TB SSD and had the outlet install it. I put a fresh install of Win 10 Pro on it. It's worked fine since then. So obviously it was a Bootable device and...
  6. System drive used to boot but won't now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System drive used to boot but won't now: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 7306 black. Supplied as NVMe SSD 500GB. Bought from a Dell outlet in Feb 22. I bought a new 2TB SSD and had the outlet install it. I put a fresh install of Win 10 Pro on it. It's worked fine since then. So obviously it was a Bootable device and...
  7. System drive used to boot but won't now

8. Virus Damage my System and it won't boot up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus Damage my System and it won't boot up: I got a virus on my pc that killed it and it doesn't even power on. Does anyone how to help me fix it?[Original Title: My pc died] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-damage-my-system-and-it-wont-boot-up/37363768-bf4f-4499-90b3-1741f07201e3
  9. system won't boot alone

in Windows 10 Customization
    system won't boot alone: i have a system drive with windows installed and a data drive with just data. when I tried to remove data drive system drive won't boot. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-wont-boot-alone/53887d7c-4267-4a55-903d-48d8cddb98cc
  10. Won't boot, system recovery mode not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Won't boot, system recovery mode not working.: After the latest windows 10 update my pc couldn't boot properly, it would boot up and show a black screen with a cursor, without logging in etc. After trying for a while decided to reset my windows through the recovery boot thing. (3 boot interrupts) Everything was fine for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb4503286 wont boot