Windows 10: system32 folder opens at startup

Discus and support system32 folder opens at startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, This has been a long standing problem that I have not been able to find an answer for on my own. I am unsure of what caused this to happen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Glaucus, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Glaucus Win User

system32 folder opens at startup

Hello,

This has been a long standing problem that I have not been able to find an answer for on my own.

I am unsure of what caused this to happen initially, but when I was using Windows 7 the system32 folder (C:\WINDOWS\system32) would open whenever I started my computer and reached my desktop.

I attempted to find a fix, failed, and left it.

Some time ago I upgraded to Windows 10, and the issue continues to happen. Whatever I read mentions that there may be a problem in the Registry, but anything I have tried has solved this issue.

So, I would like to know if anyone here would have any ideas on how to resolve this. My end goal, of course, would be to NOT have the system32 folder open whenever I start my computer.

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you!

:)

Glaucus, Mar 24, 2016

2. system32

I use windows 10

Both users have the same problem

system32 folder opens on startup. If I try to close or reduce this folder another copy of the same system32 opens &c &c

How do I get system32 to behave normally

IainIainXE, Mar 24, 2016
  3. The System32 folder opens automatically in my PC.

Hi Pratyaksh,

There are cases where the System32 folder or any other folder opens automatically due to third-party programs. We suggest that your perform a clean boot and check if the problem goes away. You may refer to
    this article on how to do so.

Note: Refer to the Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting section afterwards.

We also suggest that you run the System File Checker scan to find and fix missing or corrupted system files. You may refer to
    this article.

In addition, check for outdated third-party programs that aren't in use. You could uninstall some and observe if the problem goes away. This solution worked for other users who were facing the same problem.

Let us know how it turns out.

Patricia Yu, Mar 24, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to the TenForums *Smile

Have you checked to see if there is anything you don't expect in the Start-up tab of Task Manager?

You could also try working through this tutorial to see if you can identify any unusual items and report back if you find any.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

philc43, Mar 24, 2016
  5. Glaucus Win User
    Hello, thank you for the response! I went through the tutorial and looked at my start up items and there really isn't anything that is foreign to me in there.

Do you have any other suggestions? I could post a screenshot if you'd like as well.

Thanks again!

Glaucus, Mar 24, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Mar 24, 2016
  7. Glaucus Win User
    Thank you for the suggestion. I believe that something looks odd in the Registry.

system32 folder opens at startup [​IMG]

This is located in... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Aren't Data element supposed to be encased in double quotes? Is the syntax in that picture wrong?

Unfortunately I am not very savvy when it comes to how the registry works.

Thanks for your help!

Glaucus, Mar 25, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, I think the shadowplay entry may be the Nvidia screen recording feature.
    ShadowPlay PC Game Capture Software | GeForce | GeForce

"" is used where the string includes spaces

Have you checked both these?
    Use Registry Editor to view the following two Windows registry keys: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You can also try downloading and installing the famous (free) Autoruns and see if you can see anything odd there.

Now, if you try a clean boot, can you confirm you do not get System32 opening?
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

If it doesn't open after a clean boot, then look thru what you've disabled for anything odd, else follow the tutorial to identify which startup entry is causing the problem.

dalchina, Mar 25, 2016
  9. Glaucus Win User
    Thank you for the Tutorial! I was able to pinpoint what was going on with my startup issue.

It appears that the version of AIM I have was causing it, maybe it's time to finally retire it. *Wink

I restarted and shutdown/started up multiple times with AIM's startup disabled and each time the system32 folder did not appear.

So, thank you again!

Glaucus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. system32 folder opens at startup - Similar Threads - system32 folder opens

2. Folders keep opening on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders keep opening on startup: My startup keeps opening a lot of folders. I figured out that those folders are all located in my startup folder so I deleted them. However, when I restart, those folders exist again....
  3. Folders keep opening on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folders keep opening on startup: My startup keeps opening a lot of folders. I figured out that those folders are all located in my startup folder so I deleted them. However, when I restart, those folders exist again....
  4. System32 folder opens automatically at startup in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    System32 folder opens automatically at startup in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]The System32 folder is a very crucial folder in Windows operating systems. Windows does not set it to open automatically for any reason. If the System32 folder opens automatically in Windows 11/10, then please read through this article for the resolution. System32...
  5. "Windows system32 cmd.exe" at startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Windows system32 cmd.exe" at startup: "Windows system32 cmd.exe" is opening a blank screen when I first turn on my computer, after a minute or so it closes. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-system32-cmdexe-at-startup/23e0b96c-9c06-46fb-be20-7b95c8f6675e
  6. C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe console always opens on startup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe console always opens on startup: Hi, this console pops up everytime i log in to my pc and i don't know why. I'm worried that it may be a virus and even if it's not, i want to stop this from opening at each startup....
  7. System32\cmd.exe Runs on Startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System32\cmd.exe Runs on Startup: System32\cmd.exe Runs on Startup Hello all. I have an HP Mini laptop with Windows 10 that when every time I start it, it runs c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe. How can I stop this from running on startup? Theres nothing in the startup folder. please help me Thanks! xxluffyxx...
  8. accidentally renamed file extensions in system32 folder, wont startup

in Windows 10 Support
    accidentally renamed file extensions in system32 folder, wont startup: hello everyone, i ran a command that was suppose to rename every file extension in a folder to the jpg file, but forgot that the default folder was system32 in cmd. I even ran CMD as admin, so it renamed quite a few. After restarting my computer obviously failed to start up....
  9. Folder Opens on Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Opens on Startup in Windows 10: This Folder opens on Startup in Windows 10: C:\Windows\System\Speech How do I stop this? I looked under Start>All Programs>Startup.....Not there. Thanks.............Bill 47011
  10. Opening screenshot from Action Center opens System32 folder instead.

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening screenshot from Action Center opens System32 folder instead.: As the title says this has happened twice in the last week. I would take a screenshots with the prt sc key, and if I try to open it from the Action Center, System32 opens instead of the Screenshots folder in OneDrive. It only happened twice so far (out of maybe 15...