Windows 10: Systems hangs for a while on files handling

Discus and support Systems hangs for a while on files handling in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For instance: - Uploading and downloading files from browser - Opening a xls sheet, tried excel and openoffice same thing - I would say anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by XN9142, Aug 18, 2017.

1. XN9142 Win User

Systems hangs for a while on files handling

For instance:

- Uploading and downloading files from browser
    - Opening a xls sheet, tried excel and openoffice same thing
    - I would say anything that involves windows file dialog box

There is always an annoying hangout of a few seconds.

W10 (creators update) up to date, no AV software other than Defender
    I have a couple network shared resources always mounted, that may be relevant.

Thanks in advance for any tip, let me know if additional info is required

:)

XN9142, Aug 18, 2017

2. Never buy a Nokia N8

iPhone doesnt crash cause it doesnt multitask. Even a laptop would hang and crash if you open too much that the system can't handle. The iPhone just makes sure that it can't handle anything by not handling things three or more at the same time, except
    for a few exceptions.

chanchan05, Aug 18, 2017
  3. n82 can't show new msg icon on stanby

You can't handle system files which are stored in phone memory, so i don't know other way. But while resetting you can take a backup. Nothing will be lost as there will be a backup. So try resetting your phone.

blueheartz, Aug 18, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

If it is across your network, could just be cleaning up the last packets before the file is shown complete. If it is on one single computer and not being saved to a flash drive, NAS or another computer, could be that there is some housekeeping going on.

bro67, Aug 19, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Try the same operations after a clean boot and compare.
    If no change, compare again in Safe Mode.
    (I.e. try to eliminate possible 3rd party program conflicts)

Also check your disk and its transfer rate:
    Hard Disk Sentinel (trial)
    Crystal DiskMark

Also look at your task manager when your system is nominally idle and when doing these operations.
    Is there any excessive CPU or disk usage?

dalchina, Aug 19, 2017
  6. XN9142 Win User
    Thank you,
    Happens just on this machine, no overloads, I have a RAID 0 setup, write/read speeds are way above average.
    System performance is really good except for this issue.
    I could try safe-mode and that will probably fix it but I would still unable to identify where the problem resides.

XN9142, Aug 20, 2017
  7. XN9142 Win User
    This may be relevant

Systems hangs for a while on files handling [​IMG]

I think that dropdown should be populated with units and/or folders, not empty.

Also noticed that in the files dialog of some app, when I try to expand that control, the app CTD.

XN9142, Aug 20, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Having a RAID would not have anything to do with it. A failing hard drive causing CRC errors, bad cable, the fact that you are using RAID 0 to get one large drive, means that you are going to have problems.

I would do a SMART test on the drives and try maybe just grabbing a SSD if you are using Platter drives. You can get a Samsung 850 EVO 3D SSD for 250gb for pretty cheap these days.

I run RAID 0 on my NAS with a 3TB Fantom external for backup through eSATA. Never had any issues, since all three drives are enterprise Constellation drives that are meant for what I am using them for.

bro67, Aug 20, 2017
  9. XN9142 Win User
    I totally discard hardware replacement.
    I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue, as explained before, there is no performance issues or malfunctioning except when it involves windows loading/saving files through its GUI.
    Thanks though.

XN9142, Aug 20, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    It doesn't seem you wish to follow any suggestions, which prompts the question - why ask the forum? Rather tends to dissuade people contributing, I'd have thought, as they might consider they'd be wasting their time. I'll leave you to it and wish you the best of luck.

dalchina, Aug 20, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    Seen hardware issues be more of the case than the OS. You start by replacing the SATA cables, run a S.M.A.R.T. test and check the drives for issues with the MBR and bad blocks that you have to use chkdsk /f to fix. When was the last time you ran defrag and did a disk clean? How long have you had these drives and how long have you had the machine, along with have you replaced the CMOS battery if over three years old?

bro67, Aug 21, 2017
  12. XN9142 Win User
    Thanks, but again, It is not a hardware issue.
    Additionally to what I already commented I can tell you I boot this machine with live discs from time to time and problem doesn't happen. Hardware is 3 years old and drives get scheduled maintenance from the OS.

Sorry, It is not my intention to waste your time, but I don't want to waste mine either, double checking what I have already discarded. I would gladly follow any advice from you or any other user as soon as it makes sense.

XN9142, Aug 21, 2017
  13. bro67 Win User

Again you have to go through basic troubleshooting steps. That means to run a check disk, replace SATA cable if not a laptop, run a S.M.A.R.T. test, reset the bios and replace the CMOS battery if the machine is over three years old. Also have seen controller chips go bad even on not even a year old machine.

Never just think that it is Windows, because everyone automatically assumes and blames software before checking out hardware for problems.

It would be like taking your car into a mechanic and telling them that the car does not start and they ask you if the dash lights come on when you turn the key, or the vehicle tries to turn over, along with when and where did you last put in gas and/or change the oil.

Simple questions give simple answers and it is your machine, which means that you are going to have to go through the basic troubleshooting steps first, before looking at something else. That includes resetting the Page File, turn off Hibernate if it was not already turned off.

bro67, Aug 21, 2017
  14. XN9142 Win User
    I appreciate you try to help mate but I must be honest, there is no logic behind your answers once I provided multiple clues that show there is no problem with the hardware. Same goes for the other user that answered.
    And all due respect, advising someone else to replace storage drives without a single prove that they can be faulty, is negligent to say the least.

Anyway, after some more testing I got to the point where I am 99.9% sure the problem is related to the OS and the SMB shares, but that's something I'll keep debugging somewhere else.

XN9142, Aug 21, 2017
  15. bro67 Win User
    You came here for help and knowing that hardware is the the first level when looking at problems and that the OS and shares are way down the road, is how troubleshooting works. I have been doing this stuff for over 35 years.

Do you think that if your car does not start, that the mechanic is automatically replace your engine, without properly diagnosing at the first level of check to make sure there is fuel, oil, battery is not dead, before looking at something deeper like the computer. That is why when a person comes on here and is adamant that every answer is wrong, you are going to get asked many times if you did the very first steps you were asked to do.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Systems hangs for a while on files handling - Similar Threads - Systems hangs while

2. System getting hanged while upgrading to windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System getting hanged while upgrading to windows 11: Hi Experts,I am eligible for free windows 11 upgrade on my system and while installing around 22% system gets hanged. I have tried downloading and installing windows 11 multiple times but every time it gets frozen with intermittent restarting/loading screen.Current OS:...
  3. System getting hanged while upgrading to windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System getting hanged while upgrading to windows 11: Hi Experts,I am eligible for free windows 11 upgrade on my system and while installing around 22% system gets hanged. I have tried downloading and installing windows 11 multiple times but every time it gets frozen with intermittent restarting/loading screen.Current OS:...
  4. System getting hanged while upgrading to windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Suddenly System hang

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suddenly System hang: Suddenly System hang ,And I force reboot .The computer show a message "hardware is being replece ,changed " And enable someting.This is log file.https://ufile.io/p176ix7r...
  6. System Getting Hanged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Getting Hanged: My System is getting Hanged, I tried all the option. Purchased a new licensed windows 10 from Microsoft website and installed the windows through USB pen drive. But still my system is getting hanged. My system is having dual Os - Windows 10 and Linux and i am using normally...
  7. system hangs

system hangs: After the last upgrade, my Acer Aspire keeps hanging on restart. A message saying an error has occurred and it must restart. this happens several times then it hangs. I cannot get it to switch off! Any ideas what is the problem?...
  8. File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails: Hi, Sometimes File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails. Most of times it happens when I open a folder which contains a lot of FLAC files. But it can happen in totally random times as well, for example when I quickly switch between folders. When it happens, I can't do...
  9. SYSTEMS HANGED

SYSTEMS HANGED: MY LEPTOP IS VERY VERY HANG WHEN I UPDATE ANY TYPES OOF APPLICATIN ARE NOT ON AND FULL SYSTEM IS VERY SLOW https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/systems-hanged/08d47e98-e567-4b10-b49a-e2e37dca81a0
  10. System Hangs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Hangs: I have had repeated problems with system hangs since installation on July 29. The latest updates 3pm today have been applied. I have disabled most tasks in startup but so far still getting hangs varying from a few minutes till an hour or more. I have looked at the event logs...