Windows 10: Take Ownership, now can't see all folders.

Discus and support Take Ownership, now can't see all folders. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently added a new hard drive (no problems with that one) but when I moved the order of hard drives around, I got an "Access is denied" message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sunshy, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Sunshy Win User

Take Ownership, now can't see all folders.

I recently added a new hard drive (no problems with that one) but when I moved the order of hard drives around, I got an "Access is denied" message when I tried to open another hard drive. I tried the method of changing the security settings as in this video:

How to fix Access is denied Hard Drive not accessible on Windows 10 - YouTube

Clicked Apply and the hard drive was scanned. But only a couple of folders are now visible. Any ideas on how I can either reset whatever happened? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

:)

Sunshy, Oct 8, 2016
  2. EdHans Win User

problem with update to zune and update to windows phone

Launch an administrative session of Windows Explorer. To do this click Start, type explorer, right-click on Windows Explorer and select Run as Administrator. Answer YES to the UAC prompt.

Now try to delete the folder.

If it won't let you, you need to take ownership of the folder, then delete it. See this

article on taking ownership

EdHans, Oct 8, 2016
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Oct 8, 2016
  4. Sunshy Win User

Whelp...I ended up using File Scavenger to recover all my files. Worked well, but pretty stressful.

Sunshy, Oct 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Take Ownership, now can't see all folders. - Similar Threads - Ownership can't folders

2. Used Take Ownership on my main user folder and now everything's ****

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used Take Ownership on my main user folder and now everything's ****: Hey, I used to take Ownership on my main user folder and now a lot of the windows apps don't work or have problems.this is what happens when I try to use MS Paint, the file that it's mentioning doesn't exist or is hidden I can find WindowsApps even though it's hidden, just...
  3. Used Take Ownership on my main user folder and now everything's ****

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Used Take Ownership on my main user folder and now everything's ****: Hey, I used to take Ownership on my main user folder and now a lot of the windows apps don't work or have problems.this is what happens when I try to use MS Paint, the file that it's mentioning doesn't exist or is hidden I can find WindowsApps even though it's hidden, just...
  4. can't take ownership of folders copied on hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't take ownership of folders copied on hard drive: Hi, On my old pc I copied some files on an HDD then removed it and installed it in another PC. On the new pc I can see the folders and some programs like unlocker allow me to see files in them. I tried everything from unlocker to registry edits to allow to take ownership...
  5. cannot take ownership of folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot take ownership of folders: I get permission errors when I try to open some folders in Windows 10 desktop. I try to take ownership as described in How to take ownership of a Folder. I am the administrator. I'm the only user. When I do I get the following errors. an error occurred applying security...
  6. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  7. Take Ownership folders and files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  8. Take Ownership folders and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  9. Unable to take ownership of a folder.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to take ownership of a folder.: Hi guys, I am unable to take ownership of a folder with my account which is the only administrator account in my PC. [img] This is the issue that pops up. I took ownership with the above account as shown below. [img] [img] I have even applied the changes to all...
  10. HD not accessible. Can't take ownership.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HD not accessible. Can't take ownership.: Trying to install a hard drive to my system. Says it is inaccessible. Images will help explain the problem. [img] [img] [img] [img] Tried 3 different HDs, and cables. Rebooted into safe mode. Tried takeownership Tried takeown /F command in cmd...