Windows 10: Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.

Discus and support Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I figure it's time for a little change. Also, I don't actually work off of my main machine. I have a company supplied laptop for that. All I do with my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by musiclover7, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.

I figure it's time for a little change. Also, I don't actually work off of my main machine. I have a company supplied laptop for that. All I do with my main machine is manage my home affairs, files, occasionally game, watch Netflix, etc... The only way to truly tell if something is likeable or not is to try it out for a while. I'll let you know how it goes. Just burned 10041 to a dvd, backed up all my stuff. Time to get it on.

:)

musiclover7, Apr 1, 2015
  2. richiedel Win User

Your evaluation of Windows 10?

Have you taken the plunge with Windows 10 and come to your own conclusions? I'm nervous about taking the plunge and would welcome any opinions.

richiedel, Apr 1, 2015
  3. Hi.Its.Me Win User
    Husband's phone, my email account

Thanks, Entegy - that's given me confidence to take the plunge! Thanks everyone.

Hi.Its.Me, Apr 1, 2015
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.

Good Luck. Been using since the first release, very happy at this point, and yes there will be some headaches, albeit there always is with something new. . .including a new car (for those who like to compare a computer OS to a car. . .*Smile

5. adamf Win User
    Why not - after all they both have Windows!! (Sorry that was terrible)

@musiclover7 - good luck with that. It has been working for me with no real problems and it is fun how odd little settings vanish from one place and pop-up somewhere else. It fills my day I can tell you.

Seriously though it is OK. I've used it since October and it is fine for me. Good luck and enjoy if you can *Smile

adamf, Apr 2, 2015
  6. I auditioned it in October. Time to start putting it to the test. Loaded 10041, and now waiting for hours it seems for it to upgrade to 10049. 18% baby. This thing must be doing some serious crunching.

musiclover7, Apr 2, 2015
  7. adamf Win User
    You would like to think so but upgrading an empty 10041 to an empty 10049 taking 4 hours sounds like a bit of avoidable crunching when a clean install takes 10 minutes.

EDIT programming sounds more like it. I'm sure they'll fix it - it is too obvious not to.

adamf, Apr 2, 2015
  8. Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.

I could not figure out a clear way to get 10049 to an ISO before, though I am supposedly downloading one now off the internet on my work computer. The source was here:

Download Windows 10 Build 10049 ISO Images

musiclover7, Apr 2, 2015
  9. adamf Win User
    I have never heard of them and they are nothing to do with Microsoft. I would not download my OS from them (considering Microsoft has not released an ISO for 10049) and they only set-up their website last year.

It is your call (perhaps they are really nice and honest and only co-incidentally started their website so recently) but I absolutely would not even consider it.

The only safe way to get a 10049 ISO is to download 10041 from Microsoft here

adamf, Apr 2, 2015
  10. meebers Win User
    It's like smoking a cig with you gasoline pants on

meebers, Apr 2, 2015
  11. adamf Win User
    Gas isn't that flammable really though is it? Normally?

adamf, Apr 2, 2015
  12. Well.. I took your advice and stepped away from that other download, instead reloaded 10041. I am trying to create an iso now from esd file, but problem is, I don't get the option to download an esd file when I run update. It simply goes straight from downloading, to installing. Did some googling on where the esd file is stored, and that turned up nothing. Any suggestions?

musiclover7, Apr 2, 2015
  13. Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.

Nevermind.. Managed to find the esd file. Windows search to the rescue.

musiclover7, Apr 2, 2015
  14. Up and running. Not too thrilled with this new start menu. Lets hope it grows on me. Why have the letters signifying alphabetical order in all apps? We all know how to sort alphabetically, that is just a space waster.

musiclover7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.

1. Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS. - Similar Threads - Taking plunge main

2. iPad OS to Windows 10 Note-taking/Annotating?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    iPad OS to Windows 10 Note-taking/Annotating?: I’m looking into purchasing the newest iPad Air 10.9”, and I currently have a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 Pro. I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for cross-platform apps that work seamlessly between iPad OS and Windows 10? My university provides both Google...
  3. Clean install of OS, takes up 300GB??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install of OS, takes up 300GB??: Hi there, I did a clean install of Windows 10 Home on my newish PC today. (I was having install issues and restore point wasn’t working) I have a 1TB SSD that I re-installed the OS onto. I noticed more than half of the SSD is now used up and it says about 398GB space is...
  4. Minecraft windows 10 takes 2 hours to load into main menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft windows 10 takes 2 hours to load into main menu: I bought this minecraft game off the microsoft store so that i could play with my friends on xbox but i launch the game and the window opens but as its loading it gets to a certain point then just stops until a couple hours after then it launches the game. I have posted a...
  5. I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade.: Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1(Build 7601: Service Pack 1) I've put it off as long as I can and am now preparing to upgrade in-place from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. I've migrated my C drive to a bigger SSD (500GB from 125GB). I also have large programs and games on a 250 GB...
  6. Update OS on Old Laptop (will it take?)

Update OS on Old Laptop (will it take?): my mother had/has an old dell laptop, a studio 1737, Dell Service Tag#: 2TXW6K1. IT has windows vista, and my father wants me to do some maintenance on it, possibly send it to her in new york so she can do more than what she could do on her iPad. Since it has an old OS, i'm...
  7. 3 weeks on Windows 10 as main OS - My thoughts...

in Windows 10 Support
    3 weeks on Windows 10 as main OS - My thoughts...: First off, for those interested in whether or not Windows 10 will serve in it's current state as a primary OS, my answer is yes. Granted, I don't do any heavy lifting really from this machine, but so far everything that I do has functioned just as well in 10 as it did in 8.1....
  8. Use Win10 as main OS ??

in Windows 10 Support
    Use Win10 as main OS ??: Hello. I know Microsoft does not recommend using windows 10 as the main OS, but I have to change my mainboard and CPU next weekend, and therefor I want to do a clean install. But do I install Windows 8.1again? Or is it safe to take the chance and use Windows 10 as Main OS...
  9. Windows 10 as a main OS?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 as a main OS?: Hello, I am sorry if this question has already been answered. If so please direct me. I run W7 64 bit Utimate on my main computer. When MS offered W8 on the cheap I got it to play and replace my XP on secondary unit. Not using or enjoying that much I participated on the...
  10. I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..

I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..: I tried it out in VM and it worked so I just loaded it as my primary! Here's a screen shot of it so far: [img] The limited testing has gone fine. 1. ClassicShell works fine but I turned it off. 2. I love the new Start .. More to follow.. Jeff *Wink 2003