Windows 10: Taobao infection

Discus and support Taobao infection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Color me embarrassed but I seem to have picked up ........... something. As you can see from my screenshot my Browser has gotten a .....visitor and I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by indianacarnie, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Taobao infection

Color me embarrassed but I seem to have picked up ........... something. As you can see from my screenshot my Browser has gotten a .....visitor and I can't seem to make it leave. It seems to be a shortcut to Taobao. I've tried scans with Malwarebytes,SuperAntiSpyware,ADWcleaner, JRT,and Panda A/V (free) to no avail. Any suggestions?

Taobao infection [​IMG]

:)

indianacarnie, Oct 23, 2015
  2. L-shake Win User

My Samsung Omnia7 browser crashes this morning

Not. Morning only use Taobao . Sometimes board the other pages so be it . QQ Qzone , Tencent friends .

L-shake, Oct 23, 2015
  3. My Samsung Omnia7 browser crashes this morning

Is it only happening with Taobao page? Can you visit other sites?

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Oct 23, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

Taobao infection

It looks like a browser toolbar. In IE try going to Settings>manage Add-ons > Toolbars and extensions. You should be able to delete it there. The other one I have seen lately resets your homepage. By going to control panel>Internet options general tab will allow you to reset the homepage.

JohnC, Oct 23, 2015
  5. Well, this is Maxthon but I tried resetting. Tried a few more things ........ then just deleted the browser and reinstalled. No idea where I got it or how it eluded everything I tried but it did. Its gone now, but thanks for the suggestion.

indianacarnie, Oct 24, 2015
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    eLPuSHeR, Oct 24, 2015
  7. swarfega Win User
    Maxthon has addons as well, a lot of which I would not consider using. Go to Menu - Tools - Extensions and see if theres any unwarranted addon there.

swarfega, Oct 24, 2015
  8. Taobao infection

O.K. ......... Its back. Came back yesterday evening about an hour after I thought I'd gotten rid of it. It is only on the tabs after the main one and it turns off AdBlock Plus, (Its bundled into my Browser), but only on the unopened tabs. In addition to what I have already mentioned I've ran RougeKiller, ZHP Cleaner, BitDefender online rootkit scan,Malwarebytes Rootkit scanner, Malwarebytes Chameleon and at least a couple more that just don't come to mind. I've reset my Browser to defaults to no avail and even reinstalled Maxthon cleanly (no saved data).

It is only on my Maxthon, nowhere to be found on Edge,but as Maxthon is "my" browser, its a annoyance. Seems fairly "benign" too i.e. no re-directions or pop-ups but its not supposed to be there.

Taobao infection [​IMG]

9. Borg 386 Win User
    Have you tried running RKill & then run all the malware scanners to see if it can ferret it out? Could be it's not leaving because it's running & that blocks some removal attempts. Also, you might try running in safe mode & then run some of the scanners.

RKill Download

Borg 386, Oct 24, 2015
  10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Do as Borg suggests, but DO NOT REBOOT THE PC after running RKill. Its main purpose is to flush ram from any running malware process, so you must run any malware cleaner after it, but without rebooting.

As a last resort, try booting with any Linux BootCD or similar and check the ProgramData and Users\<your account> folders (Specially AppData) for any weird looking file/folder that may be residing there. You can also flush the browser cache from there (usually stored under AppData\Local folder).

eLPuSHeR, Oct 24, 2015
  11. Nice seeing you here Borg 386!

Tried RKill (can't believe I didn't think of that........), ran Malwarebytes,SuperAntiSpyware,ADWcleaner,and my A/V after running RKill. Its still there.
    Additional data ; My Windows Defender is grayed out , says its on in Windows, but RKill says its disabled. Also, I don't know if this is important or not but I cannot access Maxthons home page. Says its "unable to resolve domain name". Its the only page I can't get to.
    Will be trying eLPuSHer's suggestions next.

Taobao infection [​IMG]

Taobao infection [​IMG]

12. eLPuSHeR Win User
    RKill also says you are missing some services. Which ones are those?

eLPuSHeR, Oct 24, 2015
  13. Taobao infection

Check this path: C:\users\{user}\appdata\roaming\maxthon3\apptg\taobao.exe

TairikuOkami, Oct 24, 2015
  14. Well,haha,I'll be marking this as solved again. Never "found" the source, so just reset my machine. No big deal as I had a clean install planned for next week anyway. Did want to find out what it was though, but its gone (I guess). Couldn't access the Maxthon site period for a couple of hours "couldn't resolve domain name", so I'm now trying Firefox after a absence of many years. Haha, I DID find a very old Maxthon version........ 2.5.18 in fact. Its a real blast from the past and since installing it I seem to be able to access the Maxthon site. Not sure if I'll be updating this version or not as I'm having a much closer look at Edge and Firefox now.

Thanks to all who helped!

indianacarnie, Oct 25, 2015
  15. hTconeM9user, Oct 25, 2015
Thema:

Taobao infection

1. Taobao infection - Similar Threads - Taobao infection

2. Microsoft Safety Scanner scan first found 14 infected files, but then says nothing found - why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Safety Scanner scan first found 14 infected files, but then says nothing found - why?: I have had issues in the past week with random high 90-100% CPU, which drops the moment I look at task manager; intermittent slowing and hanging, particularly with the Bing homepage and searches; and the black window flashing up intermittently. I ran virus/malware scans with...
  3. Microsoft Safety Scanner scan first found 14 infected files, but then says nothing found - why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Safety Scanner scan first found 14 infected files, but then says nothing found - why?: I have had issues in the past week with random high 90-100% CPU, which drops the moment I look at task manager; intermittent slowing and hanging, particularly with the Bing homepage and searches; and the black window flashing up intermittently. I ran virus/malware scans with...
  4. Microsoft Safety Scanner scan first found 14 infected files, but then says nothing found - why?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Microsoft Safety Scanner, normal to show infected files, when finished says it detected 0?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Safety Scanner, normal to show infected files, when finished says it detected 0?: OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631 Other OS Description Microsoft Corporation System Type x64-based Default string Processor 12th Gen IntelR CoreTM i9-12900KF, 3200 Mhz, 16 Cores, 24 Logical Processors e UEFI Platform Role Desktop Secure Boot...
  6. Microsoft Safety Scanner, normal to show infected files, when finished says it detected 0?

Microsoft Safety Scanner, normal to show infected files, when finished says it detected 0?: OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631 Other OS Description Microsoft Corporation System Type x64-based Default string Processor 12th Gen IntelR CoreTM i9-12900KF, 3200 Mhz, 16 Cores, 24 Logical Processors e UEFI Platform Role Desktop Secure Boot...
  7. PC Infected with Persistent Malware Downloading Files Hourly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Infected with Persistent Malware Downloading Files Hourly: Hello Microsoft Community,I'm in a bit of a bind and desperately need your expertise. Two days ago, around 6:30-7:00 PM GMT +8, I mistakenly executed a file I downloaded from the Internet. Only after running it did I realize its malicious intent, evident from a suspicious...
  8. PC Infected with Persistent Malware Downloading Files Hourly

PC Infected with Persistent Malware Downloading Files Hourly: Hello Microsoft Community,I'm in a bit of a bind and desperately need your expertise. Two days ago, around 6:30-7:00 PM GMT +8, I mistakenly executed a file I downloaded from the Internet. Only after running it did I realize its malicious intent, evident from a suspicious...
  9. TotalAV Virus?? - I'm scared I've been infected for a long time, please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TotalAV Virus?? - I'm scared I've been infected for a long time, please help: So like a year or two ago, I was sure I had a virus. I'm pretty naive, and paranoid,and so I wanted to check. I tried scanning with windows own anti-virus, but nothing came up. I searched the internett, and found multiple youtube videos stating "windows didn't detect all the...
  10. TotalAV Virus?? - I'm scared I've been infected for a long time, please help

TotalAV Virus?? - I'm scared I've been infected for a long time, please help: So like a year or two ago, I was sure I had a virus. I'm pretty naive, and paranoid,and so I wanted to check. I tried scanning with windows own anti-virus, but nothing came up. I searched the internett, and found multiple youtube videos stating "windows didn't detect all the...