Windows 10: Tap keyboard to start computer: now dead

Discus and support Tap keyboard to start computer: now dead in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since yesterday I can't turn my computer on by depressing a key on the keyboard. Previously when I typed "shut down" the computer shut. And then to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rboris, Jan 17, 2018.

1. rboris Win User

Tap keyboard to start computer: now dead

Since yesterday I can't turn my computer on by depressing a key on the keyboard.
    Previously when I typed "shut down" the computer shut.
    And then to revive it I depressed a key on the keyboard.
    I have to use the computer's on/off button to do that now. No big deal but wonder if I can get the old functionality back.
    Just used to it.
    Thanks very much.

:)

rboris, Jan 17, 2018

2. Display issues

Didn't help Tap keyboard to start computer: now dead :(

start - now, Jan 17, 2018
  3. Display issues

Has anyone ever encountered such a problem?

The windows become small and the text is smeared each other..

Tap keyboard to start computer: now dead [​IMG]

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

start - now, Jan 17, 2018
  4. pepanee Win User

Is this setting enabled?
    1) Search for, and open, Device Manager
    2) Expand Keyboards
    3) Double click on the keyboard there
    4) Click the Power Management tab
    5) Is Allow this device to wake the computer already checked?

Tap keyboard to start computer: now dead [​IMG]

pepanee, Jan 17, 2018
  5. rboris Win User
    Bingo! Thanks very much.
    Latest update must have changed the setting

rboris, Jan 17, 2018
  6. pepanee Win User
    You're welcome.
    You should double check to see if that solution works, if you haven't already.

Enable that option from above, shut down your computer, and then try pressing a keyboard key to wake it back up.

pepanee, Jan 17, 2018
  7. pepanee Win User
    Good. Glad you got the problem solved =)

pepanee, Jan 18, 2018
  8. CountMike New Member

That's only for waking up computer out of sleep or hibernation, for real start from complete shutdown you must enable that feature from BIOS if available.

CountMike, Jan 18, 2018
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Ya you can`t be doing a true shutdown if you can wake the computer with the keyboard.

AddRAM, Jan 18, 2018
  10. CountMike New Member
    My previous MB had that option in the BIOS and it worked, also by mouse or PCI. Not if you disconnect power though.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Tap keyboard to start computer: now dead - Similar Threads - Tap keyboard start

2. Computer is dead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer is dead: I have an hp all in one desktop I love Model: 24-DP0014 And it is dead. The tech said no idea we tried the 15 sec reboot he says scrapIt but it’s only 2 years old. Has this been a problem and does it need to be just scrapped?...
  3. Computer is dead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer is dead: I have an hp all in one desktop I love Model: 24-DP0014 And it is dead. The tech said no idea we tried the 15 sec reboot he says scrapIt but it’s only 2 years old. Has this been a problem and does it need to be just scrapped?...
  4. Computer is dead

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Start menu dead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu dead: My windows Start menu doesn't open not on click not on keypress. When I click on the notification panel it instantly crashes same goes for the background apps tab in the privacy settings. The start menu troubleshooter app says "Microsoft.ShellExperienceHost" and...
  6. PC now dead.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC now dead.: Dear Microsoft, Following a windows 10 update on Friday night 18th December 2020 my PC which is a couple of years old has died with the dreaded black screen of death and curser working. I have tried f8 keys soft boots and wasted hours of time. Can someone help?...
  7. RCA computer is now completely dead

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RCA computer is now completely dead: Tried to factory refresh my computer to speed up my performance and free up space, but it crashed with a BSOD and now Windows won't install. "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows,...
  8. Computer dead

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer dead: I was doing some work on the computer this morning, when the power went out for a couple of hours. Tried numerous times to get it going again, but it kept freezing up on me, every time I would force a reboot, it would end up freezing. I finally ended up getting a message...
  9. Dead Keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dead Keyboard: I spilled water on my keyboard and of course it is now dead. Would attaching an external keyboard work in allowing me to access all my 'stuff' which I cant access. now. TUVM...
  10. Start menu dead

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu dead: So the issue that I am having is the start menu won't react, however Cortana does.... I have tried a second user account, restarting it several times, fsc /scannow (it said all good) and the Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode...