Windows 10: Target for a folder full of links will be moved

Discus and support Target for a folder full of links will be moved in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a folder that contains links to programs that reside in various other folders, called SysTools. I like to have the links for tools I use for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ztruker, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Ztruker Win User

Target for a folder full of links will be moved

I have a folder that contains links to programs that reside in various other folders, called SysTools. I like to have the links for tools I use for various things in one place.

I'm copying the SysTools folder to my Laptop and need to change all the Target drives from D:\..... to C:\.....
    Anyone know of a program that can do this in bulk or the Powershell command that could do this?

If there were only a few I'd do it manually but there are over 70 so some automation would be nice.

:)

Ztruker, Jun 4, 2016

2. Unable to print test page and from other applications on Windows 10

Correct. When you move the Temp folder, Permissions in the target is inherited. You just have to add yourself full control permissions for the folder. Microsoft KBs (support articles) don't cover every issue. Unfortunately searching the internet / forums
    is the only way to find solutions for most of the Windows issues.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jun 4, 2016
  3. TinMan7D3 Win User
    Capture folder for Xbox App

The error message is that I can't move the contents of the E: drive into a child folder. Liquidlearners post is great but does not help in my situation. It would be great if a patch was done to allow the user to browse and pick a folder for the captures
    to be saved in. Again my issue is that I accidentally assigned the whole E: drive to be the target for the captures. At that point it no longer allows me to move the target location beacause you can't move a whole drive into a folder within a drive.

TinMan7D3, Jun 4, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

I found some of what I need.

Code: $shell = New-Object -COM WScript.Shell $targetPath = $shell.CreateShortcut($FullLinkPath).TargetPath[/quote] This gets me the existing Target path when I give it the fully qualified path to the link.

I think this will replace D:\ with C:\

Code: $newtargetpath = "$targetpath" -replace 'D:\' C:\'[/quote] Now how do I update the Target path in the original link?

Would something like

Code: $shell.TargetPath = $newtargetpath[/quote] do the trick?

Ztruker, Jun 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Target for a folder full of links will be moved - Similar Threads - Target folder full

2. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  3. User Profile Folders - Restore, Move and Find Target Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile Folders - Restore, Move and Find Target Missing: I am in a pinch. I have some users in a domain that I need to move the 'Documents' Folder to another location. However when I go to the Location tab, the buttons to do dis are missing. Some users are OK and some are not. I looked into the GPO and containers and cannot find...
  4. User Profile Folders - Restore, Move and Find Target Missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile Folders - Restore, Move and Find Target Missing: I am in a pinch. I have some users in a domain that I need to move the 'Documents' Folder to another location. However when I go to the Location tab, the buttons to do dis are missing. Some users are OK and some are not. I looked into the GPO and containers and cannot find...
  5. User Profile Folders - Restore, Move and Find Target Missing

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Target folder of automated file downloads

Target folder of automated file downloads: I sometimes get notifications that an app is automatically downloading files. First of all, I know what this Windows 10 feature is and I know how to turn automatic file download and/or the notifications for it on and off. In the notification I also see the file name and the...
  7. startin and target folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    startin and target folders: hello, how do i check where my target and startin folders are for steam emu?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startin-and-target-folders/ba0912e3-b518-49aa-b777-fe843148fb1c
  8. Restore folder full view with moving just mouse.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore folder full view with moving just mouse.: Hello, On Win 7, when opened folder (any folder, outlook screen and etc.) was partly moved of screen - it was easy to get back full view just by going with mouse on the screens edge and the remaining part of folder (that was initially moved partly of screen) would just...
  9. Trying to move folders out of full C drive to D

Trying to move folders out of full C drive to D: I accidentally changed the location of my desktop from C:\ to D:\, and it put everything from my D:\ drive on the desktop screen. I am unable to restore the location back to C\users...etc where it belongs due to an access denied message. I have tried giving myself (the...
  10. Update symlinks after moving target folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Update symlinks after moving target folder: Hi, I'm a photographer who recently started using symlinks to classify my photos into categories (read folders) on my windows 10 laptop. The target RAW files stay in folders on a removable HDD. Issue: I need to move the target folders a little (one step up or down the tree),...