Windows 10: Task manager crash

Discus and support Task manager crash in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've tried to re-install windows several times prior to creating this thread, but i always encounter the same issue of Task Manager crashing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by liam415, Mar 19, 2016.

1. liam415 Win User

Task manager crash

Hi,

I've tried to re-install windows several times prior to creating this thread, but i always encounter the same issue of Task Manager crashing and causing windows explorer to crash and it's annoying it usually does it for 30 minutes after the computer starts up then it will be okay then happen every now and again anyway to fix?

sfc /scannow - didn't resolve the issue
    Reinstalling didn't

:)

liam415, Mar 19, 2016

2. Task Manager crash

I've updated the graphics driver but nothing is changed... now the error details are te following:

Descrizione

Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\Windows\System32\Taskmgr.exe

Firma del problema

Nome evento problema: APPCRASH

Nome applicazione: Taskmgr.exe

Versione applicazione: 10.0.16299.15

Timestamp applicazione: 635d4324

Nome modulo con errori: d3d12.dll

Versione modulo con errori: 10.0.16299.15

Timestamp modulo con errori: 13f7ad37

Codice eccezione: c00000fd

Offset eccezione: 000000000003279a

Versione SO: 10.0.16299.2.0.0.768.101

ID impostazioni locali: 1040

Informazioni aggiuntive 1: d47f

Ulteriori informazioni 2: d47f3ca1e01259395c9df106041b52bd

Ulteriori informazioni 3: 766c

Ulteriori informazioni 4: 766c0a328c66c514e9b0733e77eb8a4e

Ulteriori informazioni sul problema

ID bucket: 47a8310b361ad4a7a1acd827fa7181d4 (120847083289)

EnricoScariot, Mar 19, 2016
  3. Task Manager crash

Hi everyone, i have recently formatted my PC, about two weeks ago, and i have done a clean installation of Windows 10. After that i'm not able to have access to the task manager, if i run it (i've tried many methods: by poweshell, ctrl+alt+canc, ctrl+shift+esc,
    right click on the windows button and then "task manager" )it open but when I click on the window it crash.

If i run windows in safe mode it works.

I have try to run powershell as admin and launch the following commands:

- Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

- sfc /scannow

Nothing change....

Anyone can help me?

Thanks

Enrico

EnricoScariot, Mar 19, 2016
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Task manager crash

Why is Task Manager running during the first 30 minutes after starting up?

Are you investigating some other performance issue using TM?

If so what is the problem that you run Task Manager for?

Try Process Explorer instead of Task Manager?

Fafhrd, Mar 19, 2016
  5. liam415 Win User
    I like using task manager to monitor my cpu usage in graphs but it shouldn't be crashing and need to fix it?

And i'll have a look

Edit what's this using a load of cpu? System idle?

Task manager crash [​IMG]

liam415, Mar 19, 2016
  6. Additionally you can run this, it separates explorer process from desktop as well as from windows explorer.

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "DesktopProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "SeparateProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

That is literally nothing, an unused CPU percentage.

System Idle Process - Wikipedia

TairikuOkami, Mar 19, 2016
  7. liam415 Win User
    Task manager is still crashing when applied the above steps and explorer crashes as it takes a while to close and its stuck on a white window and i cant open start till it goes.

"reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "DesktopProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "SeparateProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f"

liam415, Mar 19, 2016
  8. liam415 Win User

Task manager crash

What are these suspended apps? As when it does it i notice certain apps suspended and unsure if it's effecting it?

Task manager crash [​IMG]

liam415, Mar 19, 2016
  9. SearchUI is Cortana or in other words Windows Search.
    Shell is the new shell used by Windows, like Start, Settings, Taskbar.
    When they are not in use, they are suspended, it is a normal behaviour.

TairikuOkami, Mar 19, 2016
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    A man goes to the doctor and says "When I hit my elbow against the corner of my desk, my little finger hurts too, what should I do?"

The doctor says "Stop hitting your elbow against the corner of your desk and your little finger will stop hurting."

Sorry about that, but it seems so similar to your problem.

It is normal for the "system idle process" to report the free CPU available, as if it were a real process using that %age of the CPU.

Taskmgr, Procexp, and Resmon (part of Perfmon.exe) are all resource heavy, because of the processing they need to do to look at what is happening at the core of your system. If you are running other stuff too like browsers and maybe other stuff that uses a lot of resources, that cause your system to freeze:

- this is not a crash, in the sense that your system does not completely and irrevocably become unresponsive until powered down and restarted, or cause the Windows Error Reporting system to cause a BSOD, and write a memory dump, which may help pinpoint the source of your problem.

Repeatedly bringing about this problem by running Task Manager is unproductive, don't you think?

Instead, look at your hardware and BIOS, and analyse if you have any problems in these areas.

Investigate what 3rd party software you are running, and if any of these are causing difficulties. MSConfig may be useful here.

Thirdly, look at the way you use Windows, and are there ways you could improve?

I'm deliberately leaving you to find out how to go about these things as a learning exercise, since you are obviously an inquisitive person!

Of course there will be lots of help here when you have specific questions - good luck!

Fafhrd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Task manager crash

1. Task manager crash - Similar Threads - Task manager crash

2. Task Manager Hang & Crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager Hang & Crash: Task Manager is hanging and subsequently crashing immediately upon opening.I've just updated to Win11 Pro 22H2 from Win10 Pro since changing hardware Motherboard ROG Strix Z790-H Gaming WiFi, CPU Intel i7 13700KF, graphics card Nvidia RTX 4070, and now runningOS Build:...
  3. Task Manager Hang & Crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager Hang & Crash: Task Manager is hanging and subsequently crashing immediately upon opening.I've just updated to Win11 Pro 22H2 from Win10 Pro since changing hardware Motherboard ROG Strix Z790-H Gaming WiFi, CPU Intel i7 13700KF, graphics card Nvidia RTX 4070, and now runningOS Build:...
  4. Task Manager crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager crashes: On my new Windows 11 Dell XPS8960, Task Manager Crashes. Launching the Task Manager both from a Cntl-shift-Escape key and from Window CommandFLAG + X ->Task Manager, Task Manager Displays for a second and then leaves the screen.. Third attempt to capture a screen shot, of the...
  5. Task Manager crashes

Task Manager crashes: On my new Windows 11 Dell XPS8960, Task Manager Crashes. Launching the Task Manager both from a Cntl-shift-Escape key and from Window CommandFLAG + X ->Task Manager, Task Manager Displays for a second and then leaves the screen.. Third attempt to capture a screen shot, of the...
  6. Win11 Task Manager crashes when closing Task Manager

Win11 Task Manager crashes when closing Task Manager: GDay All,I have an issue with Task Manager. Whenever I try to close Task Manager it hangs and will not close. Clicking on the close button several times will eventually show the 'not responding' message and it will then pop up a dialogue allowing you to close the program or...
  7. Task Manager hang and crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager hang and crash: Description: Task manager always stops responding, hangs, and needs force close. This happens every time I open except in safe mode. Task manager stops updating stats and process list. 'Details' tab empty and no processes shown.Version: Windows 11 22H2 build 22621.1848Crash...
  8. Task Manager hang and crash

Task Manager hang and crash: Description: Task manager always stops responding, hangs, and needs force close. This happens every time I open except in safe mode. Task manager stops updating stats and process list. 'Details' tab empty and no processes shown.Version: Windows 11 22H2 build 22621.1848Crash...
  9. task manager crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    task manager crashing: i had my entire pc freeze very quickly then task manager stopped working now every time i tried to open it now my task manager dosnt work when i open it and its icon is invisible...
  10. Task Manager Crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Manager Crashing: Its an error with my Windows 10. When my Ram is not in use my Task Manager opens as regular. But when my Ram is in use or in other words, I am playing games, and I open task manager it Crashes. Every time I force open it, it crashes with much less delay then before and at one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. task manger is crashing

2. taskmgr crash