Windows 10: Task Manager hidden when game freezes

Discus and support Task Manager hidden when game freezes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I think this is just a messup on the programmers part of Windows 10. I say this because I used Windows 7 and 8 since well... they came out and ALWAYS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by arcon97, Nov 13, 2015.

1. arcon97 Win User

Task Manager hidden when game freezes

I think this is just a messup on the programmers part of Windows 10. I say this because I used Windows 7 and 8 since well... they came out and ALWAYS when I brought up the Task manager it would override the program I was currently in and show its window on top.

I was playing Fallout 4 and the game froze. I hit control+alt+delete to bring up the Task Manager and it was hidden behind the Fallout 4 overlay. I could access the windows sidebar and see it was up, the computer did not crash, just the game except I still had to hard-reset the computer because the Task Manager did not override FO4.

Any other way to force it to show itself or is this just something the Windows 10 devs forgot to implement like they did in 7 and 8?

:)

arcon97, Nov 13, 2015

2. When I play any video game in fullscreen mode, game freezes.

Original title: Task Manager

After I upgraded to Win10 I have had a particular problem with Task Manager. When I play any video game in fullscreen mode, and the game suddenly freezes, the only way to close the game is through task manager. Well as always I press Ctrl+Alt+Del to launch
    it, and my task bar shows up to indicate that task manager is now open. However, it does not appear on screen. At this point I click on the image in the task bar to open Task Manager, and it blinks on screen for about a fraction of a second and disappears
    again. It seems that no longer in Windows 10 Task Manager is prioritized to show up on screen above everything else. Now I only wonder if there is a setting I can change to fix this problem, or whether this is a "feature" of the new Operating System.

EkkeHyvonen, Nov 13, 2015
  3. Constant Blue Screens - Event ID 10016, Distributed COM Error

I changed the driver and immediately restarted but am still experiencing the freeze issue I detailed earlier. The computer will randomly become entirely unresponsive while watching a video or playing a game, but will continue that process just fine. Everything
    else freezes. So for instance, if I'm watching a youtube video the youtube video will continue to play but I cannot minimize the browser, select anything from the start menu, etc. When I ctrl-alt-del I cannot select anything except the task manager. When initially
    bringing up the task manager it shows that task manager is taking up ~85% of the CPU but quickly goes down after about 2 or 3 seconds - then everything becomes responsive again.

Event viewer is showing that it is a loop of DistributedCOMs errors 10016 that appears every time the freeze happens.

Cody Manshack, Nov 13, 2015
  4. Task Manager hidden when game freezes

TairikuOkami, Nov 13, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    I have a similar problem. If a fullscreen app or game crashes, I can press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and the Task Manager will not show up (with always on top enabled), and pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing so I can't log out or restart. However, if I press the power button on my computer which I've configured to shut down Windows, it will appear right before the computer shuts down (presumably because the full screen game shuts down first).

6. arcon97 Win User
    arcon97, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Task Manager hidden when game freezes

1. Task Manager hidden when game freezes - Similar Threads - Task Manager hidden

2. Laptop freezes when task manager isn't launched

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop freezes when task manager isn't launched: I am facing a problem in which my laptop freezes when I leave it idle for 5 minutes and when I check my RAM and CPU usage I have RAM and CPU monitor in taskbar both are 99%. But if I open the task manager and leave my laptop idle for even 2 hours my laptop works perfectly...
  3. Laptop freezes when task manager isn't launched

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop freezes when task manager isn't launched: I am facing a problem in which my laptop freezes when I leave it idle for 5 minutes and when I check my RAM and CPU usage I have RAM and CPU monitor in taskbar both are 99%. But if I open the task manager and leave my laptop idle for even 2 hours my laptop works perfectly...
  4. Laptop freezes when task manager isn't launched

5. Laptop freezes when task manager isn't launched

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Laptop freezes when task manager isn't launched

7. How To Freeze Task Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Freeze Task Manager: Sometimes I have something that I can't shut down so I go to Task Manager to find the process and kill it. But Task Manager keeps updating and the rows jump up and down so frequently I can't find the process, highlight it, instruct to kill it. How can I 'freeze' task manager...
  8. Task manager freeze for a while when opened

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task manager freeze for a while when opened: Whenever I open task manager it freezes for a second or 2 then works normally and there's a high cpu usage caused by system interrupts and trigger the dgpu. Does that indicate something is wrong or should I not worry about it? submitted by /u/yamii0 [link] [comments]...
  9. Task Manager columns will NOT stay hidden.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task Manager columns will NOT stay hidden.: Simple question, every time I open task manager, it shows the following columns. Status, CPU, Memory, Disk, Network, GPU, GPU Engine, Power Usage, Power Usage Trend. I right click on the colum headings, and remove the 'tick' from all of the columns, except for 'CPU, Disk,...
  10. Task manager freezing up when exiting

in Windows 10 Support
    Task manager freezing up when exiting: I'm having some issues with windows 10 and my task manager. I just came off a fresh install on tuesday ish. Updated everything but my task manager opens fine but after exiting it, it turns white and remains there for a good 15 seconds before going away. I also notice clicking...