Windows 10: Task manager not showing complete memory usage?

Discus and support Task manager not showing complete memory usage? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I have 4GB of DDR3 ram on my laptop. When I go into the task manager to check how much ram is being used, it says only 795MB and yet it also says... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mdhillyer, Feb 6, 2016.

1. mdhillyer Win User

Task manager not showing complete memory usage?

Hi, I have 4GB of DDR3 ram on my laptop. When I go into the task manager to check how much ram is being used, it says only 795MB and yet it also says that 94% is being used.

This is always the case, of course with varying numbers. The memory usage shown does not coordinate with the percentage, but the computer performance certainly correlates with the percentage.

When I check in cpu-z, it does confirm that the 4GB are all installed. What is going on here?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Updated with pics:

Task manager not showing complete memory usage? [​IMG]

Update #2:
    Ah, I missed the performance tab which does indeed show all of the correct total amount of ram being used. Now how do I find all of the individual processes and services using those resources?

:)

mdhillyer, Feb 6, 2016

2. Windows 10 showing some inaccurate information about newly installed RAM

I have a Gateway DX4350 PC that came from the factory with 6GB of memory. Slots 1, 3, and 4 filled with Kingston 2GB 1333mhz DDR3 memory.

I just bought another 1333mhz 2GB stick of Kingston for the empty slot 2.

BIOS recognizes the new memory fine, and Windows appears to be using the new memory (System Information and Task Manager show 7.75GB installed).

However, in the Task Manager\Performance Tab it still shows only slots 1, 3, and 4 are filled?

Also, Resource Monitor and Task Manager show 0 hardware reserved memory. These figures used to correctly show 256MB before I upgraded. Obviously windows is accounting for the video memory since it's showing total physical RAM of 7.75GB so not sure why
    it isn't showing the hardware reserved figures now.

Nothing seems to be wrong other than these odd reporting anomalies. Windows memory test passed with no errors.

Just curious if anybody has seen this before.

Tom B Overton, Feb 6, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    pc gets slow down .cant even play videos on core i7 lenovo pc

• Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together to open Task Manager
    • On the Processes Tab, click the Memory column header so the arrow is facing down
    • Please provide a screenshot of the resulting Task Manager Window showing the processes that are using most Memory

DaveM121, Feb 6, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Feb 6, 2016
  5. mdhillyer Win User
    Thanks a lot. Both that program and the thread seem to be just what I'm looking for.

Edit: So is it normal for windows 10 to run with such high memory usage even when only a few programs are running? It seems that I max out my ram too easily and this definitely negatively affects performance.

I ran RamMap and these are the results:

Is it normal for mapped file to take up nearly double of what is used by private processes?

mdhillyer, Feb 6, 2016
  6. RAM is mainly used by superfetch, unless you have problems with an insufficient RAM, no need to worry about it. I have it disabled, because it caused me problems and I do not like pre-caching RAM for what OS thinks is the best.

TairikuOkami, Feb 6, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 6, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Just thinking, how meaningful or useful is superfetch when using (very) fast SSD and RAM?

dalchina, Feb 6, 2016
  9. Good point, the whole concept is about starting OS/apps faster, not to run them faster, maybe good for office.
    In order for OS/apps to run faster, they need more RAM, which is taken by supefetch, it is kind of complicated.

Superfetch will free RAM when requested, but not when needed. It depends on software, but basically lets say, that the software needs 1GB to run, it will look at free RAM before requesting it and assume, that there is not enough, so it will fail to run or people will receive the message about an insufficient RAM. I sure hope, that SSD will kill superfetch eventually.

10. LMiller7 Win User
    The problem here has nothing to do with Superfetch.
    Memory used for superfetch is on the standby list which is available to all processes for any purpose. As so little memory is available you can be sure that memory for superfetch is essentially zero.

Superfetch is very much misunderstood and much nonsense has been written about it.

LMiller7, Feb 6, 2016
  11. eLPuSHeR Win User
    If you only have ssd disable Superfetch; otherwise your performance (specially for traditional mechanical hard disks) will plummet.
    I hated Superfetch with passion but I can assure you the version that comes with w10 is pretty stable (at last).

eLPuSHeR, Feb 6, 2016
  12. I can not think of anything else, which could take so much RAM except that. *Huh
    I have even pagefile disabled and have 700MB usage, normally it would be 2GB.

13. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Feb 6, 2016
  14. Indeed, but in OP's case it seems, that only MRT is taking most of the RAM and that is only 152 MB.
    I can not really comment on the other data like mapped file, since RamMap does not work on mine PC.

15. mdhillyer Win User
    Hi, thank you for all the replies. I already had superfetch, as well as search, disabled when I took those screens. I still can not figure out why half of my ram is being dedicated to "mapped file" and why I should be at nearly 90% usage when running only firefox. I had to stop using chrome as it was always sure to max out my ram. Any advice on this would be great.

mdhillyer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Task manager not showing complete memory usage? - Similar Threads - Task manager showing

2. How to reduce memory usage in task manager .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reduce memory usage in task manager .: i would like to reduce my memory usage . i tried disabling some services like background intelligent transfer service , sysmain , window search . i did disabled some startup app in taskmanager.my window 11 is up to date for patches . its current in...
  3. How to reduce memory usage in task manager .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reduce memory usage in task manager .: i would like to reduce my memory usage . i tried disabling some services like background intelligent transfer service , sysmain , window search . i did disabled some startup app in taskmanager.my window 11 is up to date for patches . its current in...
  4. How to reduce memory usage in task manager .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to reduce memory usage in task manager .

6. Why does the Windows 11 task manager not show the correct memory usage?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does the Windows 11 task manager not show the correct memory usage?: The question was already asked a bit differently in another thread, but the answer was not helpful.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-manager-performance-memory-usage-higher-than/ffde0f28-e5f9-48a7-bd45-b36e7925c534Why does the task manager not show...
  7. Why does the Windows 11 task manager not show the correct memory usage?

Why does the Windows 11 task manager not show the correct memory usage?: The question was already asked a bit differently in another thread, but the answer was not helpful.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-manager-performance-memory-usage-higher-than/ffde0f28-e5f9-48a7-bd45-b36e7925c534Why does the task manager not show...
  8. High Memory Usage, but in Task Manager it Doesn't Show the Memory Hogging Apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High Memory Usage, but in Task Manager it Doesn't Show the Memory Hogging Apps: Environment: Windows 10 20H2 64bit Intel Core i5-8250U Nvidia MX150 8 GB RAMIf I use my laptop for memory intesive apps like minecraft for example, it will suffer. But if i use my laptop for normal things it will perform the sameHere is the process tab on task manager I also...
  9. Task manager not showing network usage.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task manager not showing network usage.: [ATTACH] This started a couple months ago and i tried to fix it by going on google and searching the problem, but none of the stuff i tried worked. So i assumed it was just a big and it would be fixed in an update and, well, that didnt happen. i have a Ryzen 5 3600 GTX...
  10. task manager showing 100% usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    task manager showing 100% usage: my task manger is showing 100% usage and laptop is very slow to start edition : windows 10 version: 1803 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/task-manager-showing-100-usage/a5f5844d-35b2-4f0f-ac73-db87ba2baa8e

Users found this page by searching for:

1. percentage of memory column not shown in task manger