Windows 10: Task Manager not Updating

Discus and support Task Manager not Updating in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Task Manager is behaving strangely. Everything else is working properly on my machine. I can open Task Manager and view all of the various tabs,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Doverboy, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Doverboy Win User

Task Manager not Updating

Task Manager is behaving strangely.

Everything else is working properly on my machine.

I can open Task Manager and view all of the various tabs, but they are not updating in real-time. Rather, I am receiving only the static information from the moment when I opened Task Manager, and CPU is the only Performance graph that changes. Exiting and restarting Task Manager does not fix the problem.

Task Manager 1

Task Manager not Updating [​IMG]

Task Manager 2

As you can see, it indicates CPU at >90%, which doesn't make sense to me as I rarely see usage levels so high (except at startup). None of the other graphs are updating at all.

Resource Monitor behaves normally and it indicates the CPU is only running at 4% or so, which appears normal to me, as I only have these utilities, Chrome and Word active right now.

I am on OS Build 10586.11 (non-Insider) and just confirmed all updates are installed.

I both restarted and shut down the machine; the behavior remains.

Reliability History has no errors from neither yesterday nor today.

Overnight I left my rig uploading files to my Dropbox account and the transfers were uploading fine this morning when I noticed Task Manager had closed itself. I do not use the Dropbox desktop app, but rather drag and drop folders to the Dropbox web interface folders. (I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the problem, just trying to provide what details I can.) I also spent a few hours yesterday reconfiguring all of my OneDrive folders which are work-related. I use Office 365 and the OneDrive desktop app is installed, works properly, up-to-date with no sync issues.

Reviewing Event Viewer, the only thing jumping out (to me) is the DHCP-client error, which I'm thinking is the fact that my primary and backup machines are connected via ethernet (a change I made earlier this week with no obvious problems since), bypassing my router, ergo no assignment. The rest of the errors are fairly common to what I've been experiencing regularly.

Here is a capture of Event Viewer errors:

After reviewing the Troubleshooters, I'm not sure if any of them are applicable.

After I submit this post, I will run sfc /scannow and update with results.

Any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks!

PS - Sorry if there are too many images, etc. This is my first post where I'm using captures and I'm unsure if I inserted these correctly and provided everything I can to properly describe the problem.

:)

Doverboy, Nov 21, 2015

2. Performance tab on Task Manager not updating (Windows 10)

It works.

Another symptom, as also shown in the screenshot, is that the CPU usage of task manager hovers constantly around 25% - 30%.

EmanuelePlebani, Nov 21, 2015
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    Performance tab on Task Manager not updating (Windows 10)

Hello,

As a first troubleshooting step, can you check the update speed is set to normal? You can check this by clicking
    View, and hovering your mouse to Update speed. Make sure it is set to Normal or High, and restart your PC.

Tell us how it goes. We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Mark Isi, Nov 21, 2015
  4. Doverboy Win User

After running sfc /scannow, it found corrupt files and indicates successful repair:

Task Manager continues to exhibit the same problem. I will reboot and report back.

Doverboy, Nov 21, 2015
  5. Doverboy Win User
    I'd like to proclaim how much of a "newbie" I remain at this point.

Somehow the Update Speed option in Task Manager was set to Paused.

I hope I provided a bit of amusement to your day if you took the time to read through this!

I appreciate all the terrific information and advice in these forums.

Be well!

DB

Doverboy, Nov 21, 2015
  6. Doverboy Win User
    For the record, sfc /scannow came back clean this time.

Doverboy, Nov 21, 2015
  7. steg Win User
    FWIW Task Manger: Options Menu | Update Speed. Make sure it's not set to Pause.

8. EdTittel Win User

Actually, it's in the View menu not the Options menu, but other than that, you are absolutely correct!
    *Cool
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 14, 2017
  9. This same issue happened to me but I never changed the update speed to "paused"... I wonder how many thousands or millions of people are having this same issue.

MisterMarsden, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Task Manager not Updating - Similar Threads - Task Manager Updating

2. Task Manager not updating.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager not updating.: I was watching my task manager whilst my computer was doing some maintenance. I came back and tried to awaken it by pressing the escape key, But might have missed it and pressed others. The Task Manager disappeared from my screen. When I got it back by opening it again, the...
  3. Task Manager not updating.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager not updating.: I was watching my task manager whilst my computer was doing some maintenance. I came back and tried to awaken it by pressing the escape key, But might have missed it and pressed others. The Task Manager disappeared from my screen. When I got it back by opening it again, the...
  4. Task Manager not updating.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Task Manager not updating in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Task Manager not updating in Windows 11: [IMG]Some users have reported that Task Manager is not updating on their Windows 11/10 computers. When one launches an app, the current resource consumed by it should be reflected in the Task Manager. But in some cases, Task Manager just fails to update any activity. In this...
  6. Task Manager won't update, close, or execute tasks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager won't update, close, or execute tasks: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gxnr0tf4jskkf7/2022-10-31 task manager.mkv?dl=0^Screen record showing issue.Since the latest win11 update, my task manager can only force close apps intermittently, and sometimes doesn't even refresh to show active applications. Additionally, every...
  7. Task Manager won't update, close, or execute tasks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager won't update, close, or execute tasks: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gxnr0tf4jskkf7/2022-10-31 task manager.mkv?dl=0^Screen record showing issue.Since the latest win11 update, my task manager can only force close apps intermittently, and sometimes doesn't even refresh to show active applications. Additionally, every...
  8. “Update” under Startup in Task Manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    “Update” under Startup in Task Manager: there’s a random program named “Update” under the startup header in task manager, with a default .exe icon and the open file location option is grayed out. is this malware or is it something normal for windows? submitted by /u/RayMMIV [link] [comments]...
  9. task manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    task manager: when i open task manager. the heading firefox, lists five copies are running. there is only one that should be running. how do i remove the other four https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-manager/ac15ee37-c4a3-428f-97b5-784a3b7f8951
  10. task manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    task manager: when i try to open task manager it comes up with an error of "c:\WINDOWS\system32\DUI70.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error" i get the same message when i try and factory reset, delete a bluetooth device, and other stuff like that. also, i...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. task manager not updating graph

2. task manager not updating