Windows 10: task scheduler opens mp3 file with Media Player instead of winamp

Discus and support task scheduler opens mp3 file with Media Player instead of winamp in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; default app for mp3 files is Winamp, according to Settings. However, when I create a task with task scheduler to open an mp3 file, it opens the mp3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by link626, Aug 5, 2016.

1. link626 Win User

task scheduler opens mp3 file with Media Player instead of winamp

default app for mp3 files is Winamp, according to Settings.

However, when I create a task with task scheduler to open an mp3 file, it opens the mp3 with windows media player.
    I don't want wmp to open the mp3 file.

In windows 7, I have no problem getting task scheduler to open mp3 with winamp.

If I put the mp3 file in quotes, task scheduler will always prompt me to choose which app to open the mp3 file with. I can't permanently select the app.

the only half-assed workaround is to create batch file to load the mp3 file. Then winamp will play that mp3.

How would I fix this?

:)

link626, Aug 5, 2016
  2. CycoFish Win User

Task Scheduler with Itunes and Windows Media on Windows 10 not working.

I am trying to create a task on task scheduler to play a song every time I unlock my Lenovo Yoga 920. When using iTunes it opens but the argument does not play the music. On windows media player it opens the player with the error message "Windows Media Player
    cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or a required codec might not be installed on your computer." Now if I manual open the media file it plays with no problem.

Any suggestions? I have tried .mp3 .m4a and a .mp4 I have also tried different download sources for the same song. Also if anyone knows how, I would like the task to start and stop when the lid is opened or closed instead of unlocked.

Thanks you all in advance.

CycoFish, Aug 5, 2016
  3. Trouble converting music

iTunes?

Winamp?

Lame Mp3

Ripping from CD, then easy, Windows Media Player.

There's like a gazillion audio encoders out there.

el_loco---01, Aug 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I think you will find you need to specify your task thus:
    Launch explorer.exe with parameter the mp3 file (including path) you wish to play.

The clue is that the task scheduler needs to launch a program, not a media file (assuming that's what you'd tried to do).

Works for me, with Winamp as default for mp3's.

dalchina, Aug 5, 2016
  5. link626 Win User
    windows 7 was able to open the mp3 file directly. no need to launch a program first.
    win10 can as well, but ignores the default mp3 app and uses WMP instead. This is the main problem, and I'm wondering if there's some registry hack.

your solution works to get winamp to play the mp3 file. But task scheduler can't kill winamp if it has to go through explorer.exe

If i just specify the mp3 file in task scheduler, windows media player opens it, and task scheduler is able to kill it as well.

i'm using this as a wake up alarm, and if i'm not there, it will auto shut off in 2 hours.

I'm halfway there.

link626, Aug 6, 2016
  6. IMO, you will probably be better off specifying Winamp in the Task instead of relying on the "Default App" settings.
    The SP-style W10 updates (e.g. TH2, Anniversary) like randomly resetting things.

lehnerus2000, Aug 6, 2016
  7. link626 Win User
    this solved it.

I had no idea i could just specify the mp3 file in the additional argument box.

now task scheduler can open and kill winamp, and play my mp3.

link626, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. task scheduler opens mp3 file with Media Player instead of winamp - Similar Threads - task scheduler opens

2. MS media player crashes when opening an audio file MP3 or wav

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS media player crashes when opening an audio file MP3 or wav: Windows 11.The MS media player application crashes when I open an audio file. Crash files are generated. However, the app seems to stay alive long enough to record the file name in its "recent media" list.Interestingly, I can play the files that are listed in the recent media...
  3. MS media player crashes when opening an audio file MP3 or wav

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS media player crashes when opening an audio file MP3 or wav: Windows 11.The MS media player application crashes when I open an audio file. Crash files are generated. However, the app seems to stay alive long enough to record the file name in its "recent media" list.Interestingly, I can play the files that are listed in the recent media...
  4. Task scheduler, Windows Media Player arguments

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task scheduler, Windows Media Player arguments: Hello, I'm using Task Scheduler to play a specific song every day at a certain time. That works fine. Challenge is that I want the song to play on repeat. I already set Windows media player to repeat though Task Scheduler plays it once and that's it. Questions: 1 Is...
  5. Windows Media Player sync to an mp3 player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Media Player sync to an mp3 player: Hi, I have just purchased a new mp3 player but am having problems loading a cd to the player. I select the sync option and try to drag and drop the cd but none of them end up in the sync area. What am I doing wrong or have I missed something. thanks...
  6. Mp3 Players and Windows Media Player

Mp3 Players and Windows Media Player: Can you tell me which Mp3 players are compatible with Windows Media Player? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp3-players-and-windows-media-player/6773ea04-cc75-46d0-81b0-b43bdd584f87
  7. Windows Media Player converting wma files to mp3

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Media Player converting wma files to mp3: I have a lot of old wma music files from an older computer that died years ago. I moved the files to my new computer but I am unable to convert them to mp3 files because of wma license on the previous computer. If I am success they will not play on what ever device I put...
  8. "????" on CD rips when file is MP3 [Windows Media Player]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "????" on CD rips when file is MP3 [Windows Media Player]: Whenever I rip a CD and use any file other than MP3 it rips file, but then I move to MP3 and suddenly Windows titles songs that are not English to "????" etc. Example: Original: Ripped to MP3 to local drive: Frequent answer: "Have you tried installing the language pack...
  9. Syncing files from media player to mp3 player

Syncing files from media player to mp3 player: I have a relatively cheap mp3 player and am trying to download all my music files to it. Problem is that it still has plenty of space on which to write more files but many files are not loading onto the player? I'm thinking it may be the format of the music but don't really...
  10. MP3 files are automatically played by Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MP3 files are automatically played by Windows Media Player: I set a DSS player as a default for playing my video and audio files. But it changed to Windows Media Player and I cannot change it back. I want my files to be played by my default app rather than Windows Media Player....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. open mp3 file winamp

2. task scheduler wont open mp3

3. windows task scheduler winamp