Windows 10: Task View Icon needs arrows on either side to switch desktops

Discus and support Task View Icon needs arrows on either side to switch desktops in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This option seems like a no brainer. It would be one click to get to the adjacent desktop. 18925 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LT2000, Aug 24, 2015.

1. LT2000 Win User

Task View Icon needs arrows on either side to switch desktops

This option seems like a no brainer. It would be one click to get to the adjacent desktop.

:)

LT2000, Aug 24, 2015
  2. RDrewD2 Win User

Virtual Desktop

To get to your first desktop, hold down Windows key + Ctrl and press the left arrow key.
    To shuffle through multiple desktops that you've created, hold down Windows key + Ctrl and press either the right or left arrow keys repeatedly.
    To see all virtual desktops, pick one to navigate to, or create new desktops, click the task view icon on your taskbar.
    If you don't see that icon, right click on your taskbar and click "Show Task View button".

RDrewD2, Aug 24, 2015
  3. Windows 10-Task View - "New Desktop" icon missing

Right-click Taskbar and enable "Show Task View button". This shows the
    Task View
    icon in the taskbar.

As for "New Desktop" icon missing in the Task View screen, this happens if you're in Tablet mode. Task View Window "New Desktop"
    Button Missing in Windows 10

To turn off Tablet mode, click the Action Center icon in the Notification area and turn off the
    Tablet mode toggle switch.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 24, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Or you could use Ctrl+Win+L/R Arrow.

Personally, I think there should be a systray item to show you what desktop you're on and/or quickly switch to another:

Task View Icon needs arrows on either side to switch desktops [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 24, 2015
  5. LT2000 Win User
    Yeah, I have been using the keyboard shortcut and it is OK. But an idea like yours would work better too. There are so many better ways.

LT2000, Aug 24, 2015
  6. Hydranix Win User
    Hmm, that systray idea seems simple enough to write a lil program to do.

Too bad the API released so far is extremely limited. I don't see a documented and reliable method of determining how many virtual desktops exists.

I suppose you could create an invisible window within your application, then iterate moving it to each virtual desktop until you get an error returned, but that's a dirty hack at best.

Otherwise moving between desktops would be emulating the keyboard hotkeys, also very unreliable and dirty.

Maybe not the best idea after all =[

Hydranix, Aug 24, 2015
  7. LT2000 Win User
    Dang windows. I was thinking of just creating a shortcut on the desktop and using standard windows sendkey. But they don't have a sendkey for the "windows" key. Ugggh!!! How can they not have that key???

LT2000, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Task View Icon needs arrows on either side to switch desktops - Similar Threads - Task View Icon

2. Task View desktop icons display generic icon, not desktop background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task View desktop icons display generic icon, not desktop background: When I click Task View all my desktops don't have the background I set, instead the desktops display generic image icons instead of what the actual desktop background is. How to fix? Thank you!...
  3. Task View desktop icons display generic icon, not desktop background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task View desktop icons display generic icon, not desktop background: When I click Task View all my desktops don't have the background I set, instead the desktops display generic image icons instead of what the actual desktop background is. How to fix? Thank you!...
  4. Task view, desktop contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task view, desktop contents: Hi, If I add desktops in TaskView, and open one, they all have same contents same webpages, same excels open etc. If I close one tab in e.g Desktop 1, it also closes in e.g Desktop 2 = all desktops are identical.Question: how do I get different contents to different desktops?...
  5. Task view, desktop contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task view, desktop contents: Hi, If I add desktops in TaskView, and open one, they all have same contents same webpages, same excels open etc. If I close one tab in e.g Desktop 1, it also closes in e.g Desktop 2 = all desktops are identical.Question: how do I get different contents to different desktops?...
  6. Task View screen switching

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task View screen switching: I'm mostly using Task View to switch between windows. My issue is I'm using it only with keys and I can't seem to find any way to switch between screens with keys. It can of course me done using the mouse, but I'd like to use keys for this when I can.I know using the regular...
  7. Weird arrow icon on desktop icons

Weird arrow icon on desktop icons: Since last week I have this strange blue arrow symbol on a lot of my desktop icons. How do I get it off?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-arrow-icon-on-desktop-icons/94391928-601a-4868-a6a4-9b0cd5e48e49
  8. Task View/Virtual Desktops.

Task View/Virtual Desktops.: Hi everyone. I've been using the Task View feature a lot on my PC, and I was wondering if I could make the two desktops different from each other? For example. Having a desktop or 2 for school/work, and one for Gaming. With different shortcuts on the desktop. Different...
  9. Way to get different desktop icons on different desktops in task view?

in Windows 10 Support
    Way to get different desktop icons on different desktops in task view?: Is it possible when I go to task view and choose a different desktop that I could have certain desktop icons only on one? 57735
  10. Desktop Icons stuck on left side and Explorer view stuck on Details

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons stuck on left side and Explorer view stuck on Details: Here's is basically how my system is: All my desktop icons are stuck on the left side of the desktop All file explorer view are stuck in details view. Now yes, I have turned off Auto-arrange, still refreshes to all icons on left. I have tired ALL sorts combinations of...