Windows 10: taskbar and start menu KEEP disappearing.

Discus and support taskbar and start menu KEEP disappearing. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've tried to fix this from sites and advice on the internet, but it keeps happening. I can't find a topic here on this, so I apologize if I'm posting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jovin43, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Jovin43 Win User

taskbar and start menu KEEP disappearing.

I've tried to fix this from sites and advice on the internet, but it keeps happening. I can't find a topic here on this, so I apologize if I'm posting something I shouldn't be.

Thanks for any direction you can send me in.

Jovin

:)

Jovin43, Jan 7, 2016
  2. 7ristan Win User

Taskbar keep disappearing and screen keeps flicking to black

I can't find iCloud in the programs and features. However, I can find iTunes. Should I uninstall iTunes?

7ristan, Jan 7, 2016
  3. Taskbar keep disappearing and screen keeps flicking to black

Hi Booragal,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I need more information about this issue so that I can assist you better.

1. What is the make and model of your computer?

If you see the black screen only after sign-in and you can see a mouse cursor so I would suggest you to follow the below steps to fix issue.

1. While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.

2. If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.

If this resolves the black screen, use corruption resolution steps.

Step 1. Run the DISM Tool.

Run the DISM tool to check the system health and will try to restore the files.

1. Click on 'Start'.

2. Enter 'Command prompt' in the Search box.

3. in the list of results, swipe down on or right-click Command prompt, and then tap or click 'Run as administrator'.

4. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

to close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Note: The tool might take 15-20 minutes to finish running, so please do not cancel it.

For more information follow the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/resolve-windows-blue-screen-errors

Step 2. Run SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan your system files and to repair
    missing or corrupted system files in Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Note: It is also applicable for windows 10 as well.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Jan 7, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hi Jovin,

Does this happen every time you turn on your PC/laptop? What about if you do a restart?

philc43, Jan 7, 2016
  5. Jovin43 Win User
    No, but EVERY DAY for sure! and sometimes more than once. It's so frustrating. I do a restart with some of the fixes and it will be fine, and I've done a restart just regularly and it will be fine, but then after some time, it goes again.

Jovin43, Jan 7, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Jan 8, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Troubleshooting:
    Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

davidhk, Jan 8, 2016
  8. Slugger Win User

If you cant fix it make a backup with Macrium reflect free and try one of the following. Macrium Reflect Free

1) installation repair Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    In other words perform a windows 10 upgrade. sometimes a second time upgrading fixes things.

2) Reset this PC Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    This removes EVERYTHING and reinstalled Win 10 only. That's why I said make a back up first. Then you can copy your data over and reinstall programs.

Slugger, Jan 8, 2016
  9. Jovin43 Win User
    I will try the first two now, but I may want to get my daughter to help if I can with the third suggestion. Thank you so much, everyone. I truly appreciate this. Today is ELVIS' birthday, so I've been a bit busy. *Smile

Edited to add:

I'm thinking after looking at the first one, that might just get my daughter to do this. It sounds a bit complicated for me to try. I don't want to screw anything up anymore. Thank you. I'll get back to you and let you all know if it helped as soon as I can grab her down here.

Jovin

Jovin43, Jan 8, 2016
  10. Jovin43 Win User
    Well, I thought I'd get daring and I skipped the advice from Philc43 (no offense...just unsure of what I was to do) and I did this one and got "no integrity violation"...not word for word, but I did it. Thanks.

Now, I think I'd better hold off on the other suggestions until I can get my daughter here to help. Thank you so much.

Jovin

Jovin43, Jan 8, 2016
  11. I don't know why it keeps happening, but when it does I open the task manager (right click on menu button) , drop down to the Windows Processes section and then select " Windows Explorer" which then enables the restart button to become active. Click the "restart button" and magically you should get your start menu back.
    This is not a fix but a quick and simple workaround.
    MS should really be able to sort this, as one of their biggest selling points in Windows 10 was the reintroduction of a useful start menu.

Blackrhino, Mar 14, 2016
  12. Slugger Win User
    If you still cant fix it. image hard drive with Macrium Reflect first. Then do a clean install. See if that fixes it. Could be something you installed. After that copy data and reinstall apps.

Slugger, Mar 14, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

Let me show you a simpler way to do a repair install. I am certain you can follow this one..........................

Use this Tech Bench link and download the Windows 10 iso file:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w)()

scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer at the right and select Windows 10 > click Confirm.
    click the pointer and select Language > make sure you pick the same language the computer is now running > click Confirm
    select the bit version, 32 or 64-bit. Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    at the bottom, click the pointer next to Save > click Save As > navigate to a folder of your choice > click the chosen folder > click Save
    The iso will start downloading to your chosen folder.
    When it is done, go to that folder > open the folder > right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe
    Installation will begin.
    It will allow you to keep you files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. taskbar and start menu KEEP disappearing. - Similar Threads - taskbar start menu

2. Start menu and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu and Taskbar: My windows key won't open Starrt menu, start menu not working and cant click on icons on taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-taskbar/42d3aa3f-6402-4283-96d7-4265d76fc090
  3. Taskbar keeps disappearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar keeps disappearing: I run Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron Laptop. After my last reboot, I found the taskbar didn't appear, so I used Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager, then restarted Windows Explorer. The taskbar came back, but when I closed TM, the taskbar disappeared. This has happened...
  4. Taskbar keeps disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar keeps disappearing: I run Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron Laptop. After my last reboot, I found the taskbar didn't appear, so I used Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager, then restarted Windows Explorer. The taskbar came back, but when I closed TM, the taskbar disappeared. This has happened...
  5. Taskbar keeps disappearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Taskbar and Start menu

Taskbar and Start menu: Hello Microsoft Community! I want a problem solve to the taskber, the problem is that I want to know what is the main thing to what apps are pinned to the task bar and how are they organized, I want the same thing in the start menu, I have a 21H1 version of windows 10....
  7. start menu disappeared

start menu disappeared: My list on the start menu list is gone how do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-disappeared/6666a5e1-2833-4dd1-b448-11b015e4587f
  8. taskbar menu has disappeared

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    taskbar menu has disappeared: hi, I'm back again with another issue.. My task bar has disappeared entirely. Tried restarting but don't know what else to do! Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-menu-has-disappeared/28d6d511-a122-49d0-80be-8e851ef6e8b0
  9. When clicking start menu, toolbar on taskbar disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    When clicking start menu, toolbar on taskbar disappears: I've attached a video below of the problem. When clicking the start menu, one of my toolbars (Media Monkey Media Player) disappears for some reason, and re-appears when releasing from the start menu. I've checked every option in Media Monkey and haven' t found a good reason...
  10. Taskbar and Start Menu Disappears From Time to Time

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar and Start Menu Disappears From Time to Time: I am using latest release of Windows 10 using an external monitor with a Dell Inspiron. I have the laptop lid closed so that monitor is off so I am only using external monitor. I cannot see start menu or task bar on bottom of screen. I was looking for options in my monitor...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menu icons keep disappearing

2. start menu keeps disappearing